Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Five Magics

Favorite Sky Texture?

Out of all of the wads you all have played through, whether it be an IWAD or PWAD. What would your favorite sky texture be? Like I said it doesn't matter if it is a custom wad or from the core game itself.

For me, it would have to be the Episode 4 sky texture from Ultimate Doom. I think it fits the mood for most of the WADs that I've played that feature it.

It used to be that one red hell sky (Doom 2's brown intermission screen texture) but after I played Mike Belcher's Doom 2 wad after hearing 40oz freak out about it it would have be this:

(I idclev'd to get to industrial zone since it only has like four maps, but whatever)

I'm also pretty sure it's impossible to have an astronomical object that close without it and the planet you're currently on colliding into each other.

I like Plutonia E1 sky most from the IWADs. I can't really think of a standout PWAD sky.

I found an excellent sky in DrDoctor's texture pack on Realm667 that I really dug. It's the one on the right in this image.

The blue one in CC4 is great, IMO. I also quite like the night sky I'm using in the Escalation maps and I think what esselfortium has done for the skies in BtSX (including the two that haven't made it out into the public eye yet) are very good.

From the IWADs, I like the Doom E2 sky a lot and the E4 orange sky definitely deserves an honourable mention.

Obsidian said:

I found an excellent sky in DrDoctor's texture pack on Realm667 that I really dug. It's the one on the right in this image.

Wow, creepy as hell. I like it!

Favorite IWAD skies:

Doom: Episode 1/Knee Deep in the Dead. I like the cloudy, kind of misty atmopshere it gives off, as improbable as it is for Phobos to look like that. Shout-outs to Xaser for pointing out how SKY4 works perfectly as a cheese texture for a hamburger, though.

Doom 2: Episode 2/The City. Hell doesn't really do it for me, and I don't much care for the brown sky after seeing it in a bajillion PWADs that don't replace the skies, so by process of elimination, this is the one I like.

TNT: I actually don't remember enough of TNT to say. Was this the one with the epic space sky, though, or was that Plutonia? That one was pretty awesome.

Plutonia: Episode 1's, definitely. It's surprisingly rare to see a blue, sunny (well, partly-sunny, in terms of the weather) sky in a Doom WAD, so this one stands out pretty nicely.

Heretic: Either Episode 1's, for the overcast atmosphere, or Episode 3's, for successfully selling the whole "you're in an domed underwater palace-of-sorts" motif. Pretty nifty stuff.

Favorite PWAD skies:

Not too many immediately come to mind, but I recall especially liking Speed of Doom's Ep. 1 green sky, as well as Perdition's Gate's Ep. 1 lush green hill side on an overcast day - that latter one gives me a weird nostalgic feeling that I'm particularly a fan of. Also a fan of Community Chest 4's space sky (wound up making a map inspired by it for the 5 Rooms project), and a lot of the skies in the 32in24 CTF texture set (quite a lot of variety there; sunny days, overcast days, snowy mountains, sunsets, alien skies, the lot).

From just the IWADS: As iconic and awesome as E1's sky is, UDoom's SKY4 takes the American Cheesecake for me. It goes well with friggin' everything.

From non-IWADS: No idea. Changes a bunch. Maybe Void's. :P

Doom E1 sky, good memories. I've always thought of it as very photorealistic. It also looks great in non-techbase themed maps, notably in Mordeth E1. Like there will ever be E2, right. :)

I used to like Plutonia's first sky very much until I actually got a clear look at it. Some parts of it give the impression of being edited in MS Paint.

My least favorite sky in all IWADs is SKY1 from Evilution. I mean, come on. What I don't understand is why some people still use it in their releases.

_bruce_ said:

Werecat made a really great one for Doom64 For Doom2...

Why, thank you.

E1 for sure, though Dom 2's city skyline comes close. So desolate looking, with all the burning buildings everywhere, surrounded by death and torture. I also liked E3's sky, though it doens't fit well outside of E3.

Doom's E1 is a classic for sure, but E2's is pretty cool. I'd say E4's as well, but it's a bit overused. As far as Doom 2 goes, the city sky and hell sky are nice, and kinda nostalgic too, especially seeing the hell sky on map16 since it reminds me of showing my friend the secret maps for the first time.

Outside of Doom, Heretic's E1 sky is another cool, nostalgic sky, and Doom 64's starry mountains I like as well. The blue partly cloudy sky from Strife I thought was a standout because you usually don't see a sky like that in these games.

Tango said:

why do we not yet have a giant sky compilation wad

well, there is idsky.booru.org contributions are always welcome, just make sure to add some tags taking the existing ones as example

also lol, the site is blocked in russia now. fucking north korea regime.

Memfis said:

also lol, the site is blocked in russia now. fucking north korea regime.

Putin has a problem with a bunch of low-res 256 colour-paletted images? Jesus.