• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Tylerisepic1

How many FPS do you get in Doom?

I get around 400-600 FPS.

EDIT: Also using Brutal Doom and on Zandronum

EDIT 2: Also running Fraps, a .avi recorder known for slowing down FPS while recording.

59. Cuz I have vsync turned on and my monitor runs @ 59 Hz. And no Brutal Doom. I only play real Doom.

Quasar said:

59. Cuz I have vsync turned on and my monitor runs @ 59 Hz. And no Brutal Doom. I only play real Doom.

No, I just meant at the time I was playing Brutal Doom.

kristus said:

But in the realm of source ports, I've never bothered to check. At least with the likes of GlBoom+ or GZDoom, it's more than enough to maintain a steady 60FPS the framerate's uncapped. Earthquake effects tend to produce like 5-6 screen tears in the same frame, if I forget to turn VSync on.

Usually at vsync rate, unless playing excessively complex levels like ZDCMP2.

I don't know why but for some reason I came into this thread thinking it was a discussion about how many different First Person Shooters have features that Doom itself could easily emulate with some modding or something. Like "How many shooters do you get in Doom"

kristus said:

Same.

Unless I try a source port, but I never bothered to check. I recently did a test in Quake 3 Arena to see how low can my FPS be and still be bearable for my taste. I came to a conlusion that 40 is a minimum for single-player with 60 being optimal. For multiplayer it depends also on physics in addition to visuals so in Quake's case I try to have constant 125.

Of course it depends on a game's design. Doom's 35 FPS still looks great to me, but in a modern shooter game it wouldn't be enough.

I've haven't payed attention as of late.

40oz said:

I don't know why but for some reason I came into this thread thinking it was a discussion about how many different First Person Shooters have features that Doom itself could easily emulate with some modding or something.

Ditto.

40oz said:

"How many shooters do you get in Doom"

My thought processes were heading in that direction.

60, 30 if doing Fraps recording.

No need for more FPS than the eye can see (technically?).

Well people can actually tell the difference of more than 60fps. Not sure where the myth started that we have such low perception.

The reason most people won't tell the difference above 60fps is because their monitor refresh rate is capped at 60hz. 120hz monitors are becoming the new thing, so 120 fps becoming more and more desirable.

Depends which port I'm using, which map I'm playing and whether vsync is on or not. It usually is so 60fps is normal for me.

Rather than just as "how many fps do you get" a better comparison would be to eliminate as many differences as possible e.g. how many fps do you get when playing wadname.wad at coordinates x,y, facing direction x in MAPXY.

I'll go see how much FPS I get with VSync.

EDIT: Wow. I just found out that the menu has a fps cap.

35 while looking at the starting area of Doom 2 and not moving an inch using VSync.

156 while looking at the same position using VSync.

Well, there's Doom itself, its two sequels, Heretic, Hexen, Strife, Chex Quest and HacX. So theres 8 FPS.

Oh, was this about something else?

Less than a frame per second in nuts.wad once all ghost triggers and an obscene amount of Revenant fireballs are overlapped (nightmare).