Icon of Sin / Baphomet
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Doom Wars v1.3 - RTS in Doom universe

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 21:04. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
cybermind
Warming Up

Hello, everybody, I want to introduce you a new version of Doom Wars: UAC vs. Hell - RTS game in Doom universe, based on Stratagus engine.
In Doom Wars, you can take under your control either the forces of UAC, either the hordes of Hell demons.
This version took a lot of work, but, now, it's complete.

Project's page(downloads, screenshots and support forum): http://stratagus.com/?page_id=55
Download page(with brief changelog): http://stratagus.com/?page_id=80

All information about this release in readme_**.txt file.

Since game is in beta stage, feel free to post any comments about game itself, bugs and balance.
Enjoy gaming Doom Wars!

Last edited by cybermind on 05-23-14 at 13:20

Old Post 03-18-14 12:56 #
cybermind is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Moktar
Warming Up

I really love playing RTS games. Well, I've downloaded this and ATM I have 3 points that I think should be improved:

1. The workers gather resources too fast, but the units costs very little, there is no balance because 'u got 20k mineral (?) in 1 minute.

2. The interface is very confusing, 'u cannot appreciate the units being created; I'm talking about the actions, and the unit/building portraits: that red/yellow background makes them not clearly visible.

3. I'm talking about clear visibility? The terrain and the building graphics: bad-bad. I think you can take linear filtered graphics of the buildings -or- different graphics too look unique and differentiable.

Uh, I think it's a engine issue... but, there is no ladder (high terrain) support :/.

I liked your mod so much, also I can help making Spanish lang translations if you need to.

Old Post 03-18-14 17:34 #
Moktar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
cybermind
Warming Up

1. The first units really cost a little, but when you grow up, you'll have to research a lot of upgrades, and build units that are very expensive. In the previous versions players were complaining about slow game rate because workers were collecting resources too slow.
2. Hmm, maybe I should make the background image of unit's icon darker.
3. I think I should just rerender building images with bigger resolution and and resize them using a filter.
The Spanish translation...well, that would be useful, if you want to make it :)

Old Post 03-18-14 17:51 #
cybermind is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Waffenak
Forum Regular

fasinating project

Old Post 03-18-14 22:28 #
Waffenak is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Rubilacxe
Doomworld's Wad Ripper

Glad to see this game is still being worked on! Downloading the beta now.

Funny that this pops up, as I just made a little video series about the game about a month ago. It's on my channel if you wanna check it out.

WhamNinjaMolehill <-- check out my YouTube Channel

Old Post 03-26-14 01:12 #
Rubilacxe is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Moktar
Warming Up

cybermind said:
The Spanish translation...well, that would be useful, if you want to make it :)

Consider it done, just need to know where are the lang files and how to edit them.

IMO, this RTS has great potential, just it needs some graphics revampment and some tweaks in balance. And, well... I've noticed that the players aren't color based, but I think is some limitation of the Stratagus engine.

Last edited by Moktar on 04-04-14 at 13:04

Old Post 04-03-14 23:34 #
Moktar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

Holy shit, this got an update? Awesome

Old Post 04-04-14 03:04 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
cybermind
Warming Up

Moktar said:

Consider it done, just need to know where are the lang files and how to edit them.

The translation files are located in /scripts/translate folder and they could be edited with POEdit program. I haven't made template file for Doom Wars' strings, so edit dw-ru.po and replace the translated phrases with Spanish ones.

Moktar said:

I've noticed that the players aren't color based, but I think is some limitation of the Stratagus engine.

I couldn't imagine how to make color translation for Hell faction(colored monsters? bad idea, I think), so I abandoned this.

Rubilacxe said:

Glad to see this game is still being worked on! Downloading the beta now.

Funny that this pops up, as I just made a little video series about the game about a month ago. It's on my channel if you wanna check it out.

Yes, I've watched and enjoyed them much! It would be cool if you'll make a new video for Doom Wars 1.3 (there are a lot of changes in new version, if comparing with v1.2, just watch the replay I've added below)

I've added a log of duel between 2 Doom Wars' alpha testers on Lava Swamp. Both of them are highly skilled, so enjoy watching!
Download: http://yadi.sk/d/DMdljvBmLsPhZ
How to watch: copy replay file into your /doom/logs folder and then choose it from Replay Game menu while ingame.
While watching, you may use +, -, * keys on numpad. "+" to increase game speed, "-" to decrease it and "*" to set default game speed. You may also type "ffw X" message while watching replay to skip the parts of it (X is the cycle number to go)

Old Post 04-06-14 07:22 #
Rubilacxe
Doomworld's Wad Ripper

cybermind said:
It would be cool if you'll make a new video for Doom Wars 1.3 (there are a lot of changes in new version.

I've been strongly considering it! I still need to play around with the new version and get used to the new resource system. But yeah! I'll reply here when I get around to it :)

WhamNinjaMolehill <-- check out my YouTube Channel

Old Post 04-08-14 21:46 #
Rubilacxe is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
cybermind
Warming Up

If you have questions about the game, there is a documentation in "/doc" folder, which covers almost all aspects of game. Or you can just ask them here :)

Old Post 04-09-14 02:40 #
FireFish

I just played it and it is fun, The graphics are a bit grainy though.
UAC seems to be a hard nut to beat even on hurt me plenty when i played it the first time (i skirmished), but i am sure that after a match or two it will all be easy and i can level up to higher difficulty levels.

Nice rts project you have there. :)

Old Post 05-22-14 23:44 #
FireFish is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ledillman
out of the blue

I think this game is pretty neat! i'm downloading it now... i'm pretty sure i'll like it :-p

Greetings

Old Post 05-23-14 03:12 #
Ledillman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Moktar
Warming Up

If you have plans for improving the buildings graphics (very inconsistent viewing IMHO), you can do better use of three-Point perspective.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/3-point_perspective_1-px-line.svg

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspective_(graphical)#Three-point_perspective

P.D.: Also needs some gameplay balancing.

Last edited by Moktar on 07-11-14 at 18:02

Old Post 07-08-14 04:46 #
Khorus
Strife!

This is pretty fun. Some balancing improvements and further polish could see me enjoying this game quite a bit. :)

Old Post 07-08-14 19:15 #
Khorus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote