Sarge
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Doom 2 was a terrible game
Pages (8): [1] 2 3 4 » ... Last »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 01:46. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
babo
Warming Up

Especially compared to doom 1. When I first started doom 2, I was thinking it was a joke or a fan created map or something. First off WTF is with the music? It went from atmospheric, evil doom music to unfitting lounge music.

The level design was mostly trash. Completely boring textures, no atmosphere, nothing. What happened? How did we go from doom to doom 2?

Old Post 03-22-14 20:30 #
babo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic
I feel justified yet disgusted with myself at the same time

This thread totally hasn't been done before.

Old Post 03-22-14 20:43 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
IMX

NOVA: The Birth, a great wad you should check out!

[/voluntarily made promo]

Old Post 03-22-14 21:14 #
IMX is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Marcaek

Doom 2 is fun, atmospheric and the new additions really flesh out what was really more of a prototype than a full game.

Seriously, do you really think half of Doom E3 is better than ANY Doom 2 level?

Old Post 03-22-14 21:22 #
Marcaek is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

Today, my post count goes up by won.

Old Post 03-22-14 21:25 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

Marcaek said:
...and the new additions really flesh out what was really more of a prototype than a full game.
<rolls eyes>

Old Post 03-22-14 21:32 #
Technician is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Everything is bad.

Nothing is good.

Old Post 03-22-14 21:43 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
XCOPY

How dare you? E1 and E3 are the best. Doom II has arch-viles, Underhalls, Dead Simple, Tricks and Traps, 'O' of Destruction, The Inmost Dens and The Living End.

The rest of maps, the new introduced monsters (except for arch-vile) and the SSG can gtfo.

Old Post 03-22-14 21:45 #
XCOPY is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Marcaek

The new monsters and SSG really flesh out the game though, it's just too bad the Baron of hell was kept in because it's so lame. I dunno what's wrong with the rest of the maps except maybe Nirvana because of how broken it is, but I'd still rather play that then E3M1 or E3M5.

Old Post 03-22-14 21:49 #
Marcaek is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Da Werecat

All my life is a lie.

Old Post 03-22-14 21:51 #
Da Werecat is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
PRIMEVAL

Then don't play it.

Old Post 03-22-14 21:52 #
PRIMEVAL is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Legend

How Nirvana is broken?

Old Post 03-22-14 21:54 #
Memfis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Waffenak
Forum Regular

Posthell here we come

Old Post 03-22-14 21:54 #
Waffenak is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
j4rio
Forum Staple

Wolfenstein tops all of your idiotic doom map designs by far. It also has a fun score system and plenty of collectibles, which doom is entirely lacking. And I'm not even going to bring up the lack of lives in doom. Is this how FPS were supposed to evolve? Really? Dirt-poor attempt, id, I highly doubt fans will ever excuse this major transgression.

Old Post 03-22-14 21:57 #
j4rio is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Marnetmar
Forum Staple

I think Doom 2 lacked what Doom 1 had in terms of atmosphere and aesthetics, but that probably has to due with (my assumption that) it was a rushed product and not a full game. Seems like Sandy's lovecraftiness wasn't as present in Doom 2 as it was in Doom 1. No reason Doom 2 wasn't a good game though.

Old Post 03-22-14 22:10 #
Marnetmar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Da Werecat

I totally agree on Wolf3D's superiority.

So what if the levels were made of cardboard boxes with no height variation? At least these boxes were painted with bright and vivid colors. So what if the game is more repetitive? The more important thing is that it doesn't take itself very seriously, unlike Doom with all its teenage metalhead "satanic" bullshit.

It's very sad to see a promising developer to degrade in this fashion, to lose the ability to invoke positive emotions in people.

Old Post 03-22-14 22:17 #
Da Werecat is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

Why is Doom2's level design so shitty compared to The Ultimate Doom?

Marnetmar said:
Seems like Sandy's lovecraftiness wasn't as present in Doom 2 as it was in Doom 1.
At least in some sense it's definitely the other way around, especially if you consider the run down (often old-fashioned) architecture, antique libraries and new grotesque monsters. There's probably nothing more Lovecraftian in the DOOM games than the DOOM II intermission screen, in any case.

Old Post 03-22-14 22:32 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Wolfenstein 3D was already quite a step down from the Catacomb 3D game. You could destroy walls and stuff. Much better than humping walls in the hope one of them could be pushed.

Old Post 03-22-14 22:34 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Marnetmar said:
I think Doom 2 lacked what Doom 1 had in terms of atmosphere and aesthetics, but that probably has to due with (my assumption that) it was a rushed product and not a full game. Seems like Sandy's lovecraftiness wasn't as present in Doom 2 as it was in Doom 1. No reason Doom 2 wasn't a good game though.

Given that Sandy was hired two months before Doom's release, and was given the task of assembling a bunch of odds and ends and whatever else he could come up with into the entirety of E2 and E3 during that time, I think it could just as easily be said that Doom 1 was a rushed game :)

Doom 2 benefited hugely from the developers' experience making the first game. The new monsters fill in a lot of gaps in Doom's roster (a lot of new mid-tier monsters and more varied behaviors), and with the game engine's functionality more or less set in stone before they started mapping, they were able to push its boundaries a lot further (aided also by the engine enhancements that came with it) and create levels that varied more in scale and scope.

I feel like Doom 2 has a somewhat different focus and aim than Doom does (or at least a different method of realizing its aim), and it's that difference that I think accounts for the holy wars between fans of one or the other. They both have weaknesses, but if either of them were really terrible games, we probably wouldn't all be here.

Old Post 03-22-14 22:34 #
esselfortium is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
kmxexii

Everyone here is secretly playing nothing but Blake Stone, anyway

Old Post 03-22-14 22:37 #
kmxexii is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
babo
Warming Up

Marcaek said:
Doom 2 is fun, atmospheric and the new additions really flesh out what was really more of a prototype than a full game.

Seriously, do you really think half of Doom E3 is better than ANY Doom 2 level?

I enjoyed doom e3

PRIMEVAL said:
Then don't play it.

I'm just having a discussion with other people that enjoy doom.
Like, if you don't like the thread then don't post in it logic?

Actually doom 2 has decent multiplayer, but then again nobody plays vanilla doom coop these days.

This isn't a troll thread, I'm new to doom and found it's a terrific game. I was just shocked at doom 2 and how bad it was.

Old Post 03-22-14 22:58 #
babo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
PRIMEVAL

babo said:

I'm just having a discussion with other people that enjoy doom.
Like, if you don't like the thread then don't post in it logic?

This isn't a troll thread, I'm new to doom and found it's a terrific game. I was just shocked at doom 2 and how bad it was.

It came off to me as if you were needlessly bashing and/or trolling. I apologize.

Old Post 03-22-14 23:01 #
PRIMEVAL is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Antroid

I kinda thought the same my first time through Doom 2. Of course I later grew to appreciate it after I had time to form an opinion that wasn't the first knee-jerk reaction. Some things I never thought though, for instance apart from a couple tracks the music's frickin' fantastic. Sure, it and the atmosphere are pretty different from Doom 1 but they're both still there one hundred percent in quality (Doom 1 also had some music tracks I didn't like at all...).

Old Post 03-22-14 23:07 #
Antroid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Doominator2
Forum Regular

Ya DooM II just felt like a map pack than a sequel. I didn't like the Music and unlike DooM the levels didn't feel powerful and the story was kind of boring. The only really part that felt unique was The Icon Of Sin.

Old Post 03-22-14 23:09 #
Doominator2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
mrthejoshmon

Doom 2 seems fine to me.

Now TNT is the shit though, I would chose TNT over Doom 2 any day.

Old Post 03-22-14 23:12 #
mrthejoshmon is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

kmxexii said:
Everyone here is secretly playing nothing but Blake Stone, anyway

Bitch please. Operation: Bodycount had giant rats and Elvis Presley. Not only that, but you could blow up walls, shoot glass, burn tables, and control a squad of AI soldiers you could even possess!

Old Post 03-22-14 23:34 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
kmxexii

Clonehunter said:

Bitch please. Operation: Bodycount had giant rats and Elvis Presley. Not only that, but you could blow up walls, shoot glass, burn tables, and control a squad of AI soldiers you could even possess!

Either way, both games are way less terrible than fucking Doom II

Old Post 03-22-14 23:57 #
kmxexii is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Rook
Mini-Member

Everything about Doom II is great.

Except most of the maps.

Old Post 03-23-14 00:45 #
Rook is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
dew
experts

ALL HAIL DOOM 2, OUR IWAD LORD AND SAVIOUR!

Usually, bad players prefer Doom over Doom 2. And they usually hate SSG, because they played deathmatch with the good players.

Old Post 03-23-14 00:50 #
dew is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Tarnsman
Forum Regular

Doom 2 is just objectively good. If you don't like the maps or new enemies you're objectively wrong and have terrible taste and are probably a horrible human being and secretly Hitler.

Old Post 03-23-14 00:51 #
Tarnsman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote