Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soundblock

Doom II v1.999

Theoretically, if there ever was a new version of Doom II released, which was to separate the original's secret/bonus WWII-themed content from the mainstay space marine thematics, then which two community created Doom II levels would you suggest replace the two Wolfenstein themed secret maps?

The suggested maps might only apply the original textures/graphics, minus the "blue trooper" monster and the ZZWOLF* et al textures. And for the record, to ward against any "self-pimping" allegations - seeing that I'm posing the question my own maps should automatically be disqualified from inclusion.

Personally, I found Doom II's Wolfenstein reference worthwhile back when I first played the game, but as someone who still loves Doom editing, I'm after all these years finding it a little irksome to have to dodge portraits of Hitler while browsing the original textures. It's of course not hard to make your own modified doom2.wad without these graphical entries, but between .wad editing shifts (which can take years between) one tends to return to the latest source doom2.wad...

A weird question I guess, and just a thought, but I keep returning to it.

Any maps spring into mind as good replacements? I guess they should fit in well with the original set, as a prime concern.

Have you seen BaronofStuff's "The Castle" and "The Escape" from PSX Doom: The Lost Levels yet? They are remakes of the Wolfenstein secret levels made in "normal" Doom style, and are, frankly, amazing. I would vote those.

EDIT: I do realise this may count as "self-pimping", since I named those levels, but he made them, not me.

tbh, the two wolfenstein maps serve no other purpose than saying "hey, we're they guys who made wolfenstein". they don't fit doom2's theme, they're flat, easy and out of scale compared to the rest of the game. so pretty much every other secret map would have been a better choice. if they really wanted a wolfenstein reference, something like map31 in D2INO. else, iikka keränen's "doorway to quake" (q1 e1m7) from requiem. provided id ever made a final doom2 version after releasing quake, of course. or a hard map like plutonia's map32, which is based on map01 - the player is asking for it, by finding every secret, after all. i liked how warrens was based on hell keep, when i found it the first time.

It's not written anywhere, but for some reason (tiredness?) I though you assumed v 1.999 would be released shortly after 1.9. I would choose MINOS then, my favourite from Master Levels.

The part about the original textures is the difficult part, I tend to like ones which use new ones... but both Cleimos II MAP15 (with a secret level exit, hurray!) and Icarus MAP25 use 98% original textures, 2% new ones, so these are my proposals. They are both a bit long compared to Doom II levels, but are simply excellent and the arch-vile jump requirement in the latter to get 100% secrets makes it a non-trivial candidate.

Pirx said:

tbh, the two wolfenstein maps serve no other purpose than saying "hey, we're they guys who made wolfenstein". they don't fit doom2's theme, they're flat, easy and out of scale compared to the rest of the game. so pretty much every other secret map would have been a better choice.

People might think like this today, but imo back in 1994 the mere fact of playing a WOLFENSTEIN 3D LEVEL IN DOOM was awesome enough to make the secret maps worthy.

Memfis said:

back in 1994 the mere fact of playing a WOLFENSTEIN 3D LEVEL IN DOOM was awesome

Unfortunately, that's also what G30rg3f1ffy (aka King ReOL) believed...

vdgg said:

It's not written anywhere, but for some reason (tiredness?) I though you assumed v 1.999 would be released shortly after 1.9.

I don't know if this it's related with this or the OP, but I remembered I once heard about some v 1.999. After a little searching, I found this, linked by GreyGhost at the end of this thread.

Ragnor said:

Have you seen BaronofStuff's "The Castle" and "The Escape" from PSX Doom: The Lost Levels yet? They are remakes of the Wolfenstein secret levels made in "normal" Doom style, and are, frankly, amazing. I would vote those.

I agree. After I read your post, I decided to toss together a version for vanilla PC Doom 2 (BaronOfStuff granted me permission). It's almost final, but BaronOfStuff is going to make a few changes to his PSX version, so the final version will be based on his updates. You need to use the Dehacked patch, or else MAP31 will be littered with Keens and MAP32 cannot be completed. Dehacked patch is now optional, and everything functions as it should without it.

(If you're reading this, BaronOfStuff, this version is newer than the one I sent you via PM)

Zed said:

I don't know if this it's related with this or the OP, but I remembered I once heard about some v 1.999. After a little searching, I found this

Interesting. I wonder if it's a mislabeled official 1.9, or if it's an unofficial version (perhaps with crap merged into the IWAD)? I'd consider getting it, but I don't feel like dropping 40 bucks on what could be plain old 1.9, or a different but unremarkable/crappy hacked version.

Two user created levels to replace the Wolfy maps? Well I'd say they'd have to be vanilla - I should check out BaronOfStuff's maps, people seem to like them, but I have two oldies in mind that seem very secret worthy:

Map31 - Doom City by Shams Young, made in 1995. This is a simple and fun map that shows off some of what the Vanilla engine is capable of and really blew me away as a youngster. I still hold this map with high regard today, the music is really cool and the vibrant custom textures would really feel rewarding to find as a secret. http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/d-f/doomcity.zip

Map32 - Hellrun by Adrian Smart. Very, VERY fun and challenging skilltester map from 1996. This thing feels like a precursor to the Invasion gamemode because of the way it's designed, you really need to save all those supplies in the entry room. I'd call this one a 'must play', but others may disagree. http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/g-i/hellrun2.zip

I discovered both of these when I was about 5 or 6 years old, and I was shocked to find I still loved them just as much at age 21. They stood the test of time and stood it well.

Soundblock said:

The suggested maps might only apply the original textures/graphics, minus the "blue trooper" monster and the ZZWOLF* et al textures.

The custom textures were a huge part of the fun factor in the secret levels, that's why I picked maps that have a few sparing customs used. I don't think this would have been an issue at all even in 1994, just a few kilobytes.