Icon of Sin / Baphomet
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > help using downgrad.zip to play doom 1.1

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 03:21. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
36appl0912
Warming Up

Hello, I am honestly kind of a noob when it comes to dos games and patches. I follow the instructions and run the patch.bat file with dosbox. It seems to work but I cannot figure out how to setup doom from their or play it. I would love to play the original doom in it's pure unpatched form but could someone give me a clearer tutorial rather than the one included with the patch software and precisely tell me what to do.

Old Post 04-22-14 20:42 #
36appl0912 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

It's hard to tell which part you're having difficulty with.

Maybe start from first principles. Ignoring all the patching, what version of Doom do you have? Ultimate Doom on a CD? Something like that?

Old Post 04-23-14 00:05 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
36appl0912
Warming Up

I have the steam version of Ultimate Doom, latest patch. I put it in a new directory and then unzipped the downgrade folder into the copied directory. I run the patch.bat file and it says Doom is patched but I cant find the wad or exe, or run the setup.

Old Post 04-24-14 00:56 #
36appl0912 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mike.Reiner

I would suggest you download 1.9 shareware, drop the wad from steam into that folder (delete the shareware wad), and then run the patch inside that directory again with dosbox.

I don't think the steam version even includes the setup .exe.

Old Post 04-24-14 01:11 #
Mike.Reiner is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomGater

Hmmm, are'nt the Steam IWADs the IWADS from the BFG-DOOM-3-Version?
I guess these IWADS can not be patched with the old patches...?!?!?
Please ust These to get the BFG-version to V 1.9:
http://doomgate.de/content/files/patches/bfg2v19.zip

And then feel free to use one of the patching tools to go back to
V 1.1
http://doomgate.de/content/files/ladopato/index.html

Old Post 04-24-14 12:08 #
DoomGater is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mike.Reiner

The steam versions of the dos doom games are not the BFG editions. You only get that if you actually buy Doom 3: BFG Edition (and they will only be in the Doom 3 BFG Edition game folder).

Other than time stamp the dos re-releases are identical to 1.9, I personally use those and have successfully downgraded to 1.1.

Old Post 04-24-14 12:29 #
Mike.Reiner is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomGater

Mike.Reiner said:
The steam versions of the dos doom games are not the BFG editions. You only get that if you actually buy Doom 3: BFG Edition (and they will only be in the Doom 3 BFG Edition game folder).

Ah, thanks for the info. This makes Beth's decision to edit the
BFG-Version iwads even less understandable. This means that they sell DOOM in two different, incompatible versions simultanoeusly...
Great JOB!

Old Post 04-25-14 08:09 #
DoomGater is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

DoomGater said:
Ah, thanks for the info. This makes Beth's decision to edit the
BFG-Version iwads even less understandable. This means that they sell DOOM in two different, incompatible versions simultanoeusly...
Great JOB!

Yeah, because catering to the needs of the modding community has always been a cornerstone of the official Doom marketing.

Old Post 04-25-14 08:44 #
Maes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote