Ouchface
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Doom Robot!

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 15:34. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Boingo

J R Chadwick has modified a version of Doom to send signals to a robot.

The robot moves a small arm and flashes when firing a weapon and displays which weapon is being used and moves when the player is hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNHjqsSnh90

Old Post 05-23-14 14:23 #
Boingo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

And then the robot was a Doomguy.

Old Post 05-23-14 14:57 #
Maes is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Tylerisepic1

I knew Maes was going to do that.

Old Post 05-23-14 16:08 #
Tylerisepic1 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Coopersville
Get Psyched!

I suppose Doom is probably the best reason to develop pointless inventions.

Old Post 05-23-14 17:05 #
Coopersville is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
StevieCybernetik

I don't see what purpose that thing serves, but its pretty cool nonetheless.

Old Post 05-24-14 02:34 #
StevieCybernetik is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
40oz
Forum Spammer

plasma cannon

Old Post 05-24-14 02:50 #
40oz is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
FireFish

All it needs now is an actual model of a doom marine or monster,For the creator this might be an important test, but for the viewer it is kind of... a square on wheels with a servo.

Old Post 05-24-14 06:04 #
FireFish is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
scifista42

Coopersville said:
I suppose Doom is probably the best reason to develop pointless inventions.

FireFish said:
All it needs now is an actual model of a doom marine or monster,For the creator this might be an important test, but for the viewer it is kind of... a square on wheels with a servo.
There are people out there, who are interested in exactly this kind of amateurish robotics. In fact - me and my father are ones of them. Nowadays, mostly just my father. The basic components are easy and relatively cheap to buy on the internet, or even a real specialized shop. It offers an opportunity to create something that actually moves, which can be exciting as much as to make a Doom map that can be played.

Some schools / universities support this kind of amateurish interest in robotics, there are competitions for simple robots (such as Eurobot, taking place in Europe). They are mostly educational centered, and the robots do just some basic actions while moving around a playing field. Anyway the great thing is how everyone can compete, even professional university teams with rich sponsors, or just enthusiasts who build simple "robots" from various components and from scratch "on a knee", at their homes and as a hobby.

Sorry, I just wanted to share my interest into amateur robotics. It's interesting to see a connection of two disciplines that both interest me. But truth to be told, there's nothing much exciting on the robot on this video, just that in accepts signals from Doom and reacts quite poorly. There's a huge room for improvement in making the moves more reasonable, more intense, and more fun to look at and be excited by the thing.

Old Post 05-25-14 13:57 #
scifista42 is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
FireFish

There was a time many years ago where i searched a lot of info about transistor bots. To me these (usually insect like) robots seem to behave so realistic compared to an actual insect that they become intriguing.

No doubt people find this interesting (robotics) as there are millions of people all following their own version of a hobby. This counts for anything a human ever could do.

*Edit :
written while half asleep...

Old Post 05-25-14 14:40 #
FireFish is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
codeslicer

FireFish said:
There was a time many years ago where i searched a lot of info about transistor bots. To me these (usually insect like) robots seem to behave so realistic compared to an actual insect that they become intriguing.

No doubt people find this interesting (robotics) as there are millions of people all following their own version of a hobby. This counts for anything a human ever could do.

*Edit :
written while half asleep...

Robo doge

EDIT: written while half asleep

Old Post 05-26-14 15:49 #
codeslicer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote