Doom Marine
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Do you find the 'E1M8: Phobos Anomaly' music creepy/depressing?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 10:37. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Fahim@_@
Loser

I start to feel heavily depressed after listening to it for a while...

Old Post 05-28-14 12:23 #
Fahim@_@ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
ASD

Because someone meets his end(?).

Old Post 05-28-14 12:45 #
ASD is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Doominator2
Forum Regular

I find a sign of evil, is a heavy tune, there is a feeling after you killed the 2 Barons, that you are the only living creature left on Phobos, and that you are descending to hell when you climb up the stairs.

Old Post 05-28-14 12:50 #
Doominator2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cell

I'd rather assume the same goes for E4M1, where you're about to make your path back for Earth, with three possessed dimensions/places left behind. "Go, Doomguy, it's one of your ultimate showdowns before setting back to Earth!"

Old Post 05-28-14 13:19 #
Cell is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
scifista42
Forum Staple

It's an atmospheric and unsettling music, therefore a bit creepy. Not really depressing, at least not in that way like if I fall into worse mood when hearing it.

Old Post 05-28-14 14:00 #
scifista42 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
geekmarine

I'd say it fits more into the X-files theme-style of just making you feel uneasy and creeping you out than actually making you feel depressed. Mind you, it was years before I played Doom with a proper sound card, so by the time I had first heard the music, I had beaten those damn Barons more times than I can count (side note - I gotta admit, sometimes I get a bit nostalgic for those classic PC speaker sound effects - I'm almost embarrassed to admit having an affinity for those bleeps and bloops), and it still sent a shiver down my spine the first time I played that level with the music playing.

And now I'm suddenly reminded of all those years the X-files theme would keep me up at night if I heard it at the wrong time.

Old Post 05-28-14 15:26 #
geekmarine is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
plums

I really like the 3DO version of this track (and the 3DO soundtrack in general).

The normal version is good but I find that synth tom a bit cheesy for such an otherwise atmospheric song.

Old Post 05-28-14 15:39 #
plums is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
scifista42
Forum Staple

plums said:
I really like the 3DO version of this track (and the 3DO soundtrack in general).

The normal version is good but I find that synth tom a bit cheesy for such an otherwise atmospheric song.

It's probably just nostalgia, but I prefer the original cheesy version over this refined melodramatic one. :)

Old Post 05-28-14 15:55 #
scifista42 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
joe-ilya
Nescient Member

scifista42 said:
but I prefer the original cheesy version over this refined melodramatic one. :)

Me too, but I prefer the GBAdoom soundtrack over the PC though.

Old Post 05-28-14 18:58 #
joe-ilya is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
buttspit

I don't find the tune depressing at all. That always puzzles me when people find certain creepy/scary tunes to be depressing. Perception for ya.

Old Post 05-28-14 19:02 #
buttspit is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Yeah, for some reason it has just the right notes to feel real sorrowful. If you feel like grieving, this music sings your feelings. I think there's even a scientific study cited by Cracked in one of their "# ways your brain can control you" articles, about guilt-tripping musical notes.

A similarly sad music is Doom 2's level 3 music, it just sounds like everyone's dead and you're the only soul still alive, with nothing much left for you.

Even further, Wolf3D's E2M4/E2M7/E5M4/E5M7 music sounds real damning.

Old Post 05-28-14 21:28 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Hectic

It fits the game very well. Very Doom Metal'ish.

Old Post 05-29-14 01:56 #
Hectic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Patch93

I actually found it pretty sad and gloomy. Though it definitely has a feeling of dread and suspense to it which fits the battle with the Bruiser Brothers quite well.

I really love the taiko drum and church bell in the intro of the 3DO version, it really makes the song more "tragic" sounding. Though I prefer the Sonic Clang version as a whole, as the synth lead they chose in the 3DO version is just weird and out of place.

Old Post 05-29-14 02:19 #
Patch93 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Tylerisepic1

If I ever make a movie, E1M8.midi would be the ending music.

Old Post 05-29-14 02:37 #
Tylerisepic1 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
GreyGhost
I have a custom title now!

It's one of my favourite tracks, neither creepy or depressing and I'd say it helps set the atmosphere for an end of episode map.

Old Post 05-29-14 05:24 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
geekmarine

For me, the perfect version of E1M8 would combine the drum, bells, and pace of the 3DO version and combine it with the electric guitar of the Sonic Clang version. The undertones help create mood, but you gotta have that electric guitar to get your blood pumping.

Old Post 05-29-14 06:25 #
geekmarine is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Two of the levels with this music are some of the most horrifying levels in Doom.

Old Post 05-29-14 07:02 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Doomkid

This is probably the most moody and awe-inspiring track of all official Doom releases, at least as far as I'm concerned. E1M8 and E1M1 are both tunes that all long-term gamers have fond memories of.

On the flipside, D_RUNNIN is basically an in-joke for mappers. I wonder if we'd feel that way if the song were cooler? I feel like it doesn't really "get good" until the awesome, very long solo. The intro bit is honestly kinda boring in that song.

Old Post 05-29-14 10:05 #
Doomkid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
MFG38

I've always thought of the E1M8 music as a nice atmospheric track. I wouldn't exactly say it's creepy or depressing in any way, but man, you can really make it sound badass if you have the right tools (a la Sonic Clang's E1M8 remix).

Old Post 05-29-14 10:32 #
MFG38 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Crasger

It's like a distorted and/or reversed "Happy Birthday to You".

I feel as though knowing that fact makes it creepier for you, doesn't it?

Old Post 05-29-14 10:53 #
Crasger is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Patch93

geekmarine said:
For me, the perfect version of E1M8 would combine the drum, bells, and pace of the 3DO version and combine it with the electric guitar of the Sonic Clang version. The undertones help create mood, but you gotta have that electric guitar to get your blood pumping.

This, this, and did I forget to mention this?

Old Post 05-29-14 18:16 #
Patch93 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Solid Snake

I think it's depressing as well. This version is even more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS2sh50Sbqg

Old Post 05-29-14 21:40 #
Solid Snake is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
_bruce_

Dang, the 3DO version does indeed sound fantastic. Though I prefer the midi original which I first heard on a Mozart card and instantly fell in love with.
So much atmosphere... it's like an eternal sigh whistling into your ears and clouding your mind.
Together with the map it has such an epic flair... the feeling of being in an endless desert of absurd wonders.
It seems more tragic too me than sad, though realizing in the back of your mind that this is the last map of awesome episode 1 could cause some grief.

Old Post 05-29-14 21:42 #
_bruce_ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Doomkid

The Sonic Clang version is fucking badass and brutal, I mean holy shit that's good music. When it comes to atmosphere.. A creeping sense of death, THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlBgN7edLs0

Old Post 05-30-14 02:01 #
Doomkid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
the_miano
Forum Regular

I find this version of E1M8 to be a bit depressing/disturbing:

Old Post 05-30-14 02:11 #
the_miano is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Hellish Godzilla

I find the original track to be fairly gloomy and a little unsettling. But the only version I've heard that actually creeps me out is the 32X version. You might fault it for the off-key guitar or the drums, but the fact that it sounds so wrong is a boon in some ways, IMO.

Old Post 05-30-14 02:13 #
Hellish Godzilla is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Doominator2
Forum Regular

The 32x version sounds like a demon is taking a dump!

Old Post 05-30-14 04:14 #
Doominator2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
the_miano
Forum Regular

Doominator2 said:
The 32x version sounds like a demon is taking a dump!

The entire Doom 32X soundtrack sounds like farts

Old Post 05-30-14 04:17 #
the_miano is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
FTM
Green Marine

yeah, a bit depressing, it's like the song heralds your imminent Doom

Old Post 05-30-14 04:33 #
FTM is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
plums

Hellish Godzilla said:
I find the original track to be fairly gloomy and a little unsettling. But the only version I've heard that actually creeps me out is the 32X version. You might fault it for the off-key guitar or the drums, but the fact that it sounds so wrong is a boon in some ways, IMO.

This really sounds like Indian music gone wrong to me. It's almost a whole different song.

Old Post 05-30-14 04:36 #
plums is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote