Baron of Hell
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Map specific batch loader

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 03:53. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
7hm
Mini-Member

I wasn't sure what to title this, but I've been working on an excel spreadsheet that contains information about not only wads, but the maps within those wads. I wanted a way to be able to quickly load up maps by a particular author, or in a particular series.

(I used excel because I have to do vba stuff for school, and this seemed like a good way to work my way through it. I know it's not a perfect solution for this type of thing, but eh, it works for now and is within my ability.)

How this works:
1) Click the button in the "Main" tab to search for map criteria (implemented to check the map tab only, and far from perfect, see below) in order to generate a list of maps.

2) This list copied into a "results" tab, which you can then order or adjust as you like.

3) Press the "generate batch file" button on the main tab and that creates a list of batch files.

4) Copy into a text file and run as a batch. (Assuming you have correctly inputted your port path and skill level on the "main" tab.)

To run a series like the Odessa series, for example, you would search for all the Odessa maps, and the batch file will automatically load each wad appropriately and direct you to the correct map.)

Things I'm still working on:

More maps / wads. At the moment, there are only 180 wads and ~2750 individual maps. There are obviously thousands more maps, if not wads, to go. I should also probably include vanilla / limit removing compatibility (as well as other source port specific stuff).

Better search functionality. Searching the wads as well.

Better implementation of port selection.

How to use the search:

Searching currently only filters the map tab - just type in whatever you want to the search box and it will filter based on that. It looks for inclusion, not exact matches. So doom would match to doom, doom 2, doom the way id did, etc. You can be more specific by using "" ie. "doom the way id did" would only find those maps.

You can use - to filter your results. ie ("ultimate doom" -romero) would result in all the ultimate doom maps that romero did not do.

You can use + to force a field. ie ("doom 2" + romero) would only result in the "doom 2" matches that romero is involved in.

You can use +/- with "", but you need to enclose the +/- inside the quotes. ie. "+doom 2"

Anyway... still working on it, but figured it was decent enough to toss out there.

Download link: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.ph...782608794960590

(I'm using Excel 2013. I have no idea if this works in previous versions. If you do test it out in an earlier version and it works / doesn't work, let me know.)

edit: I forgot to mention that the batch info that is generated works under the assumption that the batch file is in the parent folder, and that the parent folder contains all the wads. I have my own file structure for storing wads, but as I work through them to add them to this db, I copy the .wad file into a separate folder where I store the batch.

Last edited by 7hm on 06-04-14 at 04:59

Old Post 05-28-14 22:14 #
7hm is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Zed
Forum Regular

Maybe you are trying to do something different, but is your idea something like this? I think the "additional files" thing (file 2, file 3, etc.) were not taken into account (I really don't remember, but I won't read the whole thread again).

EDIT

Old Post 05-28-14 22:30 #
Zed is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
vdgg
MM2 maniac

Using Excel 2003. I had to install VBA, it seems to be working now. Good stuff.

Old Post 05-28-14 22:34 #
vdgg is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
7hm
Mini-Member

^^^^^
Nice, good to hear it works.

Zed said:
Maybe you are trying to do something different, but is your idea something like this? I think the "additional files" thing (file 2, file 3, etc.) were not taken into account (I really don't remember, but I won't read the whole thread again).

EDIT

That was the impetus for me starting this (kind of), but what hobomaster has ended up with is a little different. The problem with any type of wad launcher that doesn't have its own db with wad info is that you can't scrape files for map metadata outside of the name (if that). That data has to be manually collected. There isn't a standard format for .txt files to store the data either, so it really does become a manual process. Where the data is readily available, I'm pretty quick doing it now at least. Ideally the data from this would eventually be implemented into an actual frontend (it's just a couple csvs after all), but that's way beyond my skillset.

edit:

I noticed some issues with the wad info having to do with compatibility, so I uploaded a new version. I've also got to add something for Doom64, forgot about that.

Last edited by 7hm on 05-28-14 at 22:48

Old Post 05-28-14 22:38 #
7hm is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
7hm
Mini-Member

Double posting, but I uploaded a new version that fixes me not adding a -warp command to the batch file (oops), as well as bumps the maps up to over 3k (mostly classic series, also Tab).

Old Post 05-29-14 05:11 #
7hm
Mini-Member

And another update.

I added a quick batch loading front-end. The results of the batch tab include not only the map results, but also the code to run the front end. Pretty easy to use, you just copy and paste the results of that tab into a text file and run it as a .bat.

Here's a picture of an exciting batch file that has been generated through excel. (It's set up to automatically go to the next map, though it waits for you to ok playing it. That way you can re-do the map if you want, or go back to the main menu and pick a different map. Also recording isn't set up yet.)

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac216/jordan7hm/maploader_zpsf5a92cd7.png

Also more maps. Working through the old doomworld top 100, slowly, and trying to grab some of the megawads people have done recently as well.

(Dunno if this was even the right forum for this. In any case I do have a general request for help - it's going to take me an absurd amount of time to do the data collection for map info. If anyone wants to help, jump onboard. Also, if anyone can take that info and turn it into something nicer than a batch file front-end, please do.)

Old Post 05-30-14 05:26 #
7hm
Mini-Member

I'm still working on the vba component (I have a much better search system set up, but it isn't fully working yet, so I've left the original search stuff in for now), but in the meantime, I've uploaded a new version. Up to ~530 wads and ~4500 maps, and have started to run through the Cacowards. I thought I had a lot of Doom stuff downloaded (I do...) but there are still dozens of wads I'm missing from those lists, and I'm starting to hit more of the single map releases, so the data entry is slower. I'm finally closing in on (or have already) cataloging more maps than KMX E XII, although certainly not playing that many. :)

I also added a map log to the batch file - when you finish the map it will add to a log.txt file in the batch file directory that tracks the map you just completed (if you play continuous, it only tracks the first one of course, but it's good for pistol starting, which is a huge part of why I set this up in the first place). You can go into the log file and add notes if you want.

Old Post 06-04-14 04:59 #