Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
plums

Plasma rifle replacement sounds

I know that many people consider this sound just too loud and obnoxious. Any favourite replacements? I know the one from PSX Doom gets used a lot, and Epic 2 has a decent one that also got used by Ribbiks in Swim With The Whales, IIRC.

I've been using BSHHIT2 from Hexen lately and it works fairly nicely I think.

I have a number of '94-era wads with replacement plasma rifle sounds too but they all kinda suck.

I find that the Plasmagun firing sound from Quake 3 Arena makes a nice replacement.

I feel that the Plasmarifle firing sound from Doom 64/PSX is more electrical like than plasma like.

Avoozl said:

I find that the Plasmagun firing sound from Quake 3 Arena makes a nice replacement.

The Q3A one is indeed good. The Hyperblaster from Q2 is decent too.

Wait, is the one from Epic 2 just the Doom 3 PR sound? They sound quite similar based on youtube videos but I don't have Doom 3 installed right now.

I feel that the Plasmarifle firing sound from Doom 64/PSX is more electrical like than plasma like.

Same, I never thought it really fit.

The PSX plasma sounds like a clipped version of dwango5 plasma, yet the file is slightly larger. Afaik, d5 came out well before PSX and YT research indicates Jaguar Doom uses stock Doom plasma sound. Anyone knows the story behind that? It seems like the PSX guys picked up and cleaned a sound clip that was already making rounds in the Doom community, but I wouldn't dare to accuse Aikman of creating an original resource for d5.

I'm pretty sure I've heard the fusion cutter and the Dark Trooper plasma weapon used in wads before, both from Dark Forces.

Avoozl said:

Alright then, so what does a plasma rifle actually sound like?

Anyway, ICD-SE has a pretty good sound replacement for plasma weapons. No idea what the original source for the sound it, but it has a bit more punch to it than the oft-used Doom 3 Plasma without sustained fire being rough on headphone users.

The Doom 3 sound is my go-to if I'm replacing the plasma rifle noise. Kind of bass-y.

dew said:

The PSX plasma sounds like a clipped version of dwango5 plasma, yet the file is slightly larger. Afaik, d5 came out well before PSX and YT research indicates Jaguar Doom uses stock Doom plasma sound. Anyone knows the story behind that?

I made a thread asking a similar question a few months ago. I found a few wads said to be uploaded before psx doom was released that used sound replacements for the guns identical to the one in PlayStation doom.

Mostly people said that the sounds came from a sound library and that it was probably just a coincidence, but some cases I find hard to believe, seeing that some weapons replace all sounds, and with the correct weapons too. I feel like the authors had to have known somehow.

40oz said:

Mostly people said that the sounds came from a sound library and that it was probably just a coincidence, but some cases I find hard to believe, seeing that some weapons replace all sounds, and with the correct weapons too. I feel like the authors had to have known somehow.

It's possible that the sound did come from a sound library but that the choice to use them in the PSX/N64 versions wasn't a coincidence. It wouldn't really be surprising if the people who ported Doom to the PSX had played DM on DWANGO5 before.

plums said:

It's possible that the sound did come from a sound library but that the choice to use them in the PSX/N64 versions wasn't a coincidence. It wouldn't really be surprising if the people who ported Doom to the PSX had played DM on DWANGO5 before.

That's my line of thinking. Someone originally ripped the sound from some old game and put it in his Doom map. *Insert unknown chain of maps reusing it here.* Aikman likes it and puts it in Dwango5. The PSX team considers the sound superior/less grating and either find it in a sound library, or they shamelessly edit it straight out of dwango into the shortened, more "electric bolt"-like form.

Guest Unregistered account

I actually love the original Plasma rifle firing sound effect and hate all the replacements I've heard. It just doesn't give me the same satisfaction of hitting an opponent.

Personally I'm a big fan of it too. It sounds so loud and ferocious. Its a shame its amplified so high that it clips so much. I'm also a little disappointed that there hasn't been a faithful remake of it in a higher frequency for the high res sounds pack.

it sounds like the pistol sorta with a reversed laser sound overlaying it, then boosted like a hundred decibels. :|

Nininininini!
Nini!

That’s what I hear when I play Kansam’s trial.

Ni!

Avoozl said:

Who's to say it doesn't work by electrifying plasma? It would make sense, electrocute someone by tossing some charged plasma at them. Besides, look at the projectile sprites when they explode, looks like electricity to me.

The Doom 3 plasma rifle sounds are some of my favorite things about Doom 3. A very good replacement for Doom's default pr sound in my opinion.

I find it to be an annoying and hard noise, which is perfect for a weapon of mass plasma destruction. And usually i hate HD high range sounds to... so the original is the best for me.

You could always try to generate your own noise for it. there are plenty of free VST based tools, and waveform generators.

ducon said:

Nininininini!
Nini!
That’s what I hear when I play Kansam’s trial.
Ni!

We are the knights of NI !
We want a shrubbery !

I like how the original PR firing- and impact sounds get interrupted alternately at close range in vanilla. Gives me an impressions the gun really melts the the bad guys, particularly cacos, barons and mancubi.

I never understood this much debated dilemma. The original plasma sound rocks! It's unique, punchy and quaint (much like most of Doom's sfx).

Having said that, after the billionth replay or so, its nice with some variation - I did get the first signs of plasma-fatigue just last year.

I'll go back to my whine-about the pistol-sound thread now, thank you.

I'm playing galaxia.wad now and it has an altered plasma gun sound (among others) which I find cool. Likewise for Dwango5 plasma - I also like it.

peach freak said:

For some reason, if you play Vanilla Doom with only like 2 or 3 sounds mixed, the Plasma Gun sounds a lot better....

Probably because you can't have so many instances of the sound stack, so they can't get as loud.

And I mean, that's the problem, the sound itself is quite good and it has a lot of punch. But when you're firing it so much it gets very loud and drowns out everything else, and is also a bit tiring on the ears.

Anyhow having used it for a bit longer I've really come to like BSHHIT2. It's still heavy but not quite as overbearing. The one BaronOfStuff posted is the same way too.

Woah, I'm really curious about the PSX/n64 sounds coming from a Dwango wadfile. If you compare the shotgun sound from PSX doom to the Dwango sound, it's much clearer, so I always thought Dwango ripped the SFX. Does anyone have these soundbites on hand for comparison?