Spider Mastermind
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > LAN Dooming without internet or router?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 19:53. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Doomkid
Forum Regular

I've looked around, and can't find an answer anywhere.

Is this possible with any port? If my friends come down, I want to be able to have some DMs with them, but using my phone as a WiFi hotspot is all I have for the foreseeable future.. Any solution to this?

Old Post 06-04-14 06:43 #
Doomkid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BaronOfStuff

A hub and a bunch of cables. No actual connection to the internet necessary.

Old Post 06-04-14 12:47 #
BaronOfStuff is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Legend

Like 7 years ago I played some doom2.exe\zdoom\jdoom coop with my brother connecting via simple ethernet cable.

Old Post 06-04-14 13:13 #
Memfis is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
40oz
Forum Spammer

Yeah I play that way all the time. Disconnect some laptops from the internet and connect them to a router with Ethernet cables. (if you don't have those resources now, they'll cost you about $30) then have one host a LAN game. Get the IP address and have the other laptops connect to it for lag free deathmatch/coop with friends. Should work on any source port. Most flexible and easy to set up with the Big Three multiplayer source ports.

Old Post 06-04-14 14:02 #
40oz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
_bruce_

Yep, a hub and four cables and you're in for a treat. Only thing to keep in mind is the sort of cable - I think PC to PC uses a "crossed" one, whereas connecting to a hub requires "normal" ones.
Pretty sure someone with network background can give the proper nomenclature on this.

Old Post 06-04-14 14:24 #
_bruce_ is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
flubbernugget

IIRC crossover cables are needed for computer to computer, or switch to switch/hub to hub. Switch/hub to computer needs a straight cable.

That being said most modern networking hardware comes with Auto-MDIX and can use any cable that is properly wired.

Old Post 06-05-14 01:30 #
flubbernugget is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote