Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Breezeep

Stuff that annoys you in the DOOM Community

Overuse of "all" monsters like zombiemen, imps, barons, arch-viles etc. becomes very repetitive and boring. Doom in general is usually boring. It's not fun to blow away demons with shotguns and plasma guns, or take on other players.

Ribbiks said:

Overuse of "low-tier" monsters like zombiemen, imps etc. becomes very repetitive and boring. Classic maps in general are usually boring. It's not fun to camp doors evading hitscans, or monotonously plow through non-threatening enemies.

I've been playing random maps in Eternal Doom and while I really want to love the wad (some of the secrets and puzzles and other things are amazing) the fucking shotgun guys and little armor are killing it for me.

I think that's a part of it that makes the megawad so mysterious to me, is how fucking painful everything is to get through. But its infuriating at the very least.

silverdeth said:

Stuff that annoy me in the community is all the MLP Fan boys

I was about to say that what annoys me immensely are the terrible people who hate others for enjoying something they don't understand, but then I thought that it would seem a bit hypocritical coming from someone who dislikes a lot of things and people who like those things as well. Although to my credit I don't call everyone who likes overdetailed maps or wads completely devoid of meaningful setting and context for the levels or btsx episode 1 disgusting freaks or anything stupid like that, and don't tend to flame so obsessively that it goes to post hell each time those people are mentioned.

So I guess only this specific instance of terrible people hating others for enjoying something they don't understand annoys me, not the notion in general!

32 map megawad attitude:

What are we going to do about the 6 unfilled map slots? We can't release a 26-map megawad!

Skill 4 only attitude:

I'm currently playing Plutonia 2. Made it to MAP 11 so far, and I think it's pretty good. A nice sequel for expert players. Wouldn't ever play it (or any other game for that matter) on difficulty less than UV.

Stuff that annoys me in the doom community?
Terry WADs. Why anyone would want waste so much scripting, creativity and potential to make an unplayable WAD is beyond me!

doomguy93 said:

Little kids that suck terribly at trolling

Well, this applies everywhere, really.

I've probably already mentioned this, but I'm always annoyed when community projects start to spiral out of control due to one or two people constantly suggesting additions (textures, story, adding consistency, changing source port, etc.) - particularly in projects like Dtwid where there is an obvious and simple objective. We need more project leads who can just say "No" when this behaviour crops up. Likewise, when projects that do step outside the usual Boom/limit-removing norm are suggested down on this forum I'm always disappointed. Just because it won't be as popular, doesn't mean it's not a valid idea - there's always a few community projects going on these boards that fit the standard mould.

In my eyes gameplay variety is more important.

I love that you post this right after rejecting all slaughter gameplay including its inclusion in general purpose megawads, and I love that you won't see the irony in it either.

Oh right, this thread is supposed to be the things we hate. Hmm... It annoys me when old threads are closed after a bump. Apparently if it's not from last week, then it's not worth talking about. In a forum about a 20 years old game. Once again: whoosh.

Phml said:

I love that you post this right after rejecting all slaughter gameplay including its inclusion in general purpose megawads, and I love that you won't see the irony in it either.

I probably should've worded that differently, there can still be quite a lot of variety without the need of adding large kill only areas full of 100 or more monsters, when I say variety I mean not too much of one thing while everything else is at an extremely low near nonexistent minimum.

Quasar said:

The fact that people have 1.75 TB hard drives but only have room for one source port on them :P

Ok: Newest Eternity engine SVN from DRDteam site -> unzipping to new folder, selecting my resolution, fullscreen. I see vsync is On by default, nice, uncapped framerate, too, nice ... yet I see screen tearing.

:-(

When I post an entire megawad and all I get is a page and some trolls flooding by making 2 pages of off-topic.

VGA said:

Ok: Newest Eternity engine SVN from DRDteam site -> unzipping to new folder, selecting my resolution, fullscreen. I see vsync is On by default, nice, uncapped framerate, too, nice ... yet I see screen tearing.

:-(

More than likely you need to use the GL backend in order to get vsync. When applied to the software backend, that setting only works if you have an ancient card that supports DirectDraw 5 in hardware. This is due to very outdated code in SDL 1.2

EE will be adding SDL 2.0 support sometime in the near future however, which may improve that situation.

joe-ilya said:

When I post an entire megawad and all I get is a page and some trolls flooding by making 2 pages of off-topic.

Yeah... Just read the thread, that isn't what's happening. You've shat out a poor idea for a megawad in no time and ignored some of the feedback (about lower difficulties not working), then got in a mini flame war with one of your testers. Having played your MAYhem 2048 map, you need to actually put some time in to not making sector soup maps crammed with enemies or your work will be broadly ignored.

Phobus said:

Yeah... Just read the thread, that isn't what's happening. You've shat out a poor idea for a megawad in no time and ignored some of the feedback (about lower difficulties not working), then got in a mini flame war with one of your testers. Having played your MAYhem 2048 map, you need to actually put some time in to not making sector soup maps crammed with enemies or your work will be broadly ignored.

Nobody told me about the difficulty issue I found out about it myself.

Fellowzdoomer said he couldn't beat MAP04 on ITYTD, somebody told him to try -nomonsters, somebody else said non-UV difficulties had bugs and about 2 pages later you come to that realisation too. Yes, nobody gave specific examples, but it was mentioned.

Phobus said:

Fellowzdoomer said he couldn't beat MAP04 on ITYTD, somebody told him to try -nomonsters, somebody else said non-UV difficulties had bugs and about 2 pages later you come to that realisation too. Yes, nobody gave specific examples, but it was mentioned.

He was using android anyways. Because I could beat it on ITYTD.

Preteens that only know about the game because of Brutal Doom that flood every crevice and crack of the community. Even better when they complain that "dis map dosnt work wit brootl doom!!" on 1995 wads.

Ragnor said:

Refusal to communicate in projects.

I'm guilty of this one.

-

I dislike when I post a WIP image in the image posting thread and then get upstaged by lots of other more better mappers with their brilliant and fucking awesome shots...
It's like I am being punished for having both bad timing and sub-par mapping skills :( ...
Well at least I am being upstaged by something actually good :)

I really dislike arrogant project leaders who are not aware of criticism. I at least try and listen to it and incorporate it no matter how crippling or praising it is. (I also feel empty inside knowing that I missed out on bashing SquishyprickBrick's monster pack ignorance or that 115 shite that ripped off IWAD content).

I also kind of dislike that guy/girl/bot who likes to copy paste that "DOOMWORLD WAD REVIEWERS" paragraph on /idgames, I use the recent votes to see if anything particularly good/epically shit has been recently found/played and the fact that I have to wait for some man babies butthurt remarks to clear off before I can do that is a tiny inconvenience but nothing really major.

mrthejoshmon said:

I really dislike arrogant project leaders who are not aware of criticism. I at least try and listen to it and incorporate it no matter how crippling or praising it is. (I also feel empty inside knowing that I missed out on bashing SquishyprickBrick's monster pack ignorance or that 115 shite that ripped off IWAD content).

I have dealt with SB for some time in the past and regardless of the heaps of criticism and critique, it was hard for him to move past it. I also stopped talking to him when he got way too personal for some of the things I've told him to do to get better and not calling Doomworld a place for trolls.

Also:

Terry junk.

Multiple modded versions of Brutal Doom.

Ignorant kids who got into Doom via Brutal Doom and disregard playing the game without the mod.

Unnecessary mechanics and features added to Brutal Doom.

Super ultra detailed maps for the sake of detail.

Unbalanced maps.

Compiled ripoff crap like Chillax.

People that put so much time and effort into the map design, layout etc but just casually pop in some awful midi. Music choice can easily make or break a map.

Arguments that migrate to other threads (and even other forums) annoy the hell out of me.

Doomkid said:

...Wut

Grouchbag has a vested interest there, as she is a woman in her 60s (and presumably a grandmother too).

Thank you, Phobus. Yes I am in my 60's. Yes, grandmother. Did not like mother in law, but she liked Doom, even at her age.Out of 8 grandkids,6 like Doom. The 2 youngest aren't old enough. Yet. Guess that gives me a vested interest.

It's just I've never heard anyone say that particular insult on Doom online related stuff, but I totally understand why it'd be offensive.

It's really cool that so much of your family likes Doom!

Perhaps I'm just paranoid, but I imagine that I'm probably on many people's internal "Stuff that annoys you in the DOOM Community" lists due to my past behavior. I've taken on a very different attitude, usually asking myself "is this the best thing to post, or should I post at all?" I'm still immature, no doubt, but I don't want to shitpost for my own entertainment anymore and actually want to meaningfully contribute to discussions (and projects if I have free time).

I hope that I actually have improved and that it's not just in my head.

Phobus said:

I've probably already mentioned this, but I'm always annoyed when community projects start to spiral out of control due to one or two people constantly suggesting additions (textures, story, adding consistency, changing source port, etc.) - particularly in projects like Dtwid where there is an obvious and simple objective.

I've noticed that you've mentioned me in one of the DTWID interviews. In retrospect, I should've been paying attention and not have requested stupid shit like alpha textures and such.

Ragnor said:

Refusal to communicate in projects.

It can be frustrating, though I've learned to consider the reasons why they are unwilling or unable to communicate and instead remain patient.