Do you use SR50 while playing?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use SR50 while playing?

• Yes
    • No, but I do know what it is
    • No, and I don't know what it is

ETTiNGRiNDER said:

That would only do a regular straferun.

Wait, so the mouse sidestep is also capped to 40? Damn.

40oz said:

...I generally play doom with a game pad anyway so this wouldn't work for me unless I substituted one of my lesser used buttons and grew an extra thumb.

In Zdoom-derived ports, with high joystick sensitivity, the full diagonal direction on the movement stick makes you run at full SR50 speed anyway (without locking viewpoint) for all gamepads I've tried. I guessed that this was inherited from vanilla Doom's speeds when using a joystick instead of keyboard/mouse, but I never tested with any other ports tp be sure.

Yeah, SR40 here, as I'm using ZDoom and it doesn't do the turning acceleration (that I'm aware of).

Not that much when playing casually, except on long corridors and when looking for shortcuts.

Btw, what are the reasons why SR50 wouldn't be accepted? I think SR50 is one of the coolest things in doom speedrunning because it is really difficult to optimize (difficulty comes from precise angles, not from clumsy controls), and even most of the old speedrunners use/accept it nowadays as far as I know.

printz said:

Wait, so the mouse sidestep is also capped to 40? Damn.

In vanilla mouse strafe gives you SR50 instantly.

It's hard to pull out consistently, and I recall that using setups that make it easier or even automate it, are considered cheating.

Maes said:

It's hard to pull out consistently, and I recall that using setups that make it easier or even automate it, are considered cheating.

It might be hard at first but with practice, nope.
Using setups that make it easier are not considered cheating as far as I know. Even Adam H used setup to make it easier if I recall correctly. Automated SR50 is considered cheating.

Looper said:

In vanilla mouse strafe gives you SR50 instantly.

So you mean that straferuns done only with the mouse can be SR50?

Maes said:

Dunno if it's cheating (no GREEN: IS TURBO! warnings) but I think it can safely be called a TAS.

printz said:

So you mean that straferuns done only with the mouse can be SR50?

Yes.

It might be hard at first but with practice, nope.

This all too common argument says one thing yet proves the opposite. People have different abilities. Some of us have less manual dexterity. Some of us can't grasp the different people = different abilities thing.

Solid Snake said:

googled sr50 and all i got was some pictures of a motor scooter

That might be Doomguy's scooter model then: the SR50 ;-)

Phml said:

This all too common argument says one thing yet proves the opposite. People have different abilities. Some of us have less manual dexterity. Some of us can't grasp the different people = different abilities thing.

Yes, I understand that, but in my opinion it doesn't require that much dexterity. Just click one button (mouse wheel) and move your mouse left/right.

As a keyboarder-only for speedruns, using SR50 is kinda difficult for me, so I typically don't. Sometimes I'll use it to help pull off a jump, or sometimes I'll use it going down a long hallway if I want to beat a nomo run on DSDA that is particularly difficult for me using SR40 only.

Either way, I'm quite clumsy in my movements (both in Doom and in real life), so if I try to pull off SR50 quickly, most of the time I end up
crashing into a wall because I can't turn while I'm running and get a better angle like I can when I just use SR40.

At times I do, yes. Particular to blaze past a bunch of enemies.

Yea but I usually use SR50 for long trips / jumps, especially when goating around those hard-to-reach areas of the map that I'm not supposed to be on

No for SR50, because I’m a keyboarder but yes for SR40.

40oz said:

I have never actually bothered to learn. I've heard too many different explanations to really understand what's happening, but just from what I have gathered from this thread, it sounds like a combination of:

1. Running forward (default uparrow)
2. Turning while holding the strafe key (default left or right arrow + alt)
3. Strafing (default < or>)

Is that correct? Or does it only work with mouselook + alt?

I generally play doom with a game pad anyway so this wouldn't work for me unless I substituted one of my lesser used buttons and grew an extra thumb.

if you're using WSAD and have turn set to Q and E respectively, hit W and A to SR40 then hit Alt to lock strafe and hit Q, you're now SR50ing. W and D plus E would be at the other angle.

I never found it practical enough to be used during normal play. I've also never been able to pull off tricks with it, like the E1M4 exit jump.

cba to use it in vanilla-compatible ports except for the jumps that require it, or long corridors. In zdoom-based ports i have 4 keys bound for MF50 SR50 / MB50 SL50 / etc and use them all the time, to the point of overusing it, i.e. even when sr40 is more convenient to use.

I never wallrun with sr40.

Bashe said:

I never found it practical enough to be used during normal play. I've also never been able to pull off tricks with it, like the E1M4 exit jump.

I've never pulled that one off either using SR50, but I think that's one of the hardest possible SR50 jumps. The gap across the exit there is 192 units, and I think that's the max space you can jump over building up good SR50 speed (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong). Others where the gap is less units across, but you can't quite make the jump using SR40 only, should be easier to pull off using SR50. One of these is on AV MAP20. Where you'd normally do the rocket-jump trick across that one gap, you can actually SR50 across it if you get the right angle, and I don't think it's possible to just SR40 across it. Sorry I can't provide more obvious, classical examples.. I just can't think of any more for this specific situation.

I think the only thing controversial about strafe50 usage nowadays is turning at the same time.