Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

"Demonic Annihilation" -- Doom tribute song

EDIT: Bass has been slightly lowered in the mix (it was too loud) and the rhythm guitar has been slightly raised (it was too low).

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12843083

I operate under the music monicker Pug Fuglies, and thought I'd share my latest tune, a Doom tribute called "Demonic Annihilation," a six minute epic that uses several contrasting passages to suggest a cinematic soundscape describing events within the Doom universe. While not a medley, you'll recognize ideas resembling phrases from E1M1, E1M5, E1M8, E3M3 and Aubrey Hodges' general approach to the PSX versions. Essentially, it's a mix of thrash metal, symphonic and dark ambient, with the general structure being progressive in nature.

For those who want extra info, it was composed and produced entirely in FL Studio 11. I utilized a powerful guitar synthesizer to achieve somewhat realistic distortion and spent about six months crafting it. I released a far inferior Doom tribute back in 2008 (there's even a thread about it, though the link to the tune has long since died) that I might eventually repost for comparison purposes, but really, "Demonic Annihilation" is far more representative of my work. I hope you enjoy it.

Listening now. I like it, I think the synth-bass type instrument is a little too high in the mix. The guitars and drums sound almost realistic, quite well done, but then that synth sound sort of betrays the rest of the mix and makes the whole thing sound more synthetic than it otherwise would. Despite that, I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Ooh, the ambient part just kicked in as I was typing. Nice mood shift, holds together pretty well.

I might have overcompensated with the bass, yeah. In metal, bass is often so damn low, you wish you could hear it better, so I probably mixed it in too high. And thanks about the dark ambient part, I was trying very hard to evoke Aubrey's work and while it's not as disturbing, I think it gets the job done.

Yeah it was a great track overall, lots of nice mood shifts, I liked the last 2 minutes the best but the rest of it is good too.

I know what you mean about the bass in metal, and I agree, but I don't think your bass sound here is very authentic at all - it sounds decent for what it is, but there's no fooling anyone that it's real, unlike the guitar and drums.

I'm not sure why, but I can never get the bass to sound authentic. Strangely, the synthesizer that handles the guitars is the same one used for bass, but nothing I do to it can get it to sound as good as the guitars. I think that's okay though, because I'd rather the guitars have that punchy, meaty sound, if it means the bass won't be as slick.