Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Unregistered account

The "new" generation and Doom

Sadly, other kids think that people don't pay attention to old games anymore. They think that people only focus on the "new generation" games...and Minecraft.

Besides, MC isn't an old game and kinda doesn't fall under the FPS category.

RUSH said:

Kids have such a short attention span that nothing can beat the immediate impact of something like Titanfall, Battlefield, Call of Duty etc. People want a roller coaster ride; something flashy and exciting. Doom is a masterpiece but in none of the ways people find entertaining today.

LockeRequiem said:

Sadly, other kids think that people don't pay attention to old games anymore. They think that people only focus on the "new generation" games...and Minecraft.

My point proven in stone.

Hunh. I have been using noob/newb all wrong. I've always been ok with calling other people noobs because I'm fine with calling myself a noob when I first start something. I get the distinction though. Makes sense.

I will use "noob" more carefully, and proudly own up to being a "newb".

Edit - oops, forgot to add my point regarding the younger generation: part of the longevity of the game for me, by which I mean the thing that's drawn me back into it, is all the "bugs" that the programmers didn't plan on (SR40, clips, etc) and the fact that it's open source. It's like an old VW Beetle from the 70s vs a new sports car. Sure, the new sports car is sexier and faster, but you won't be propping up the hood and saucing up the engine by yourself. With Doom there's so much to discover.

Somehow I doubt that newer games will have a community of programmers getting into them the way Doom does. Maybe I'm wrong.

But that could explain why the interest for the younger gen is not through the roof. It helps to appreciate the programming, and that tends to come later in one's education.

Even with all that, I am impressed by how many young gamers are regulars here. I would expect to be less, since new games are so much more shiny.

Doomkid said:

Sad to hear :(

I thought kids were supposed to love games like Minecraft and stuff, though. Even though it's pixelated and basic - or more likely, because it's pixelated and basic - people of all ages, myself included, love Minecraft! I find it mind blowing that anyone who likes both Minecraft and COD/Halo/other FPS could dislike Doom, since it's essentially "cute pixelated baddies" (lol) and "super violent action" all rolled into one.

No point to the game? Well hell, what's the point to any game, then?

There you go Locke, now you have some ammo to try and convince your friends to give it a fair shot ;)

(Sorry for large quote)

Kids today, who have a creative or adventurous spark, will love Minecraft. The children who are smart enough to overlook enlarged pixels and focus on gameplay will get an indescribably massive experience out of it.
I know plenty of kids who play modern FPSes and Minecraft... but there are always those idiots who say exactly what you've been saying they have. I once came across a comment on a video of Doom II run with 100% secrets, and it moaned about how Doom's graphics are worse than Minecraft, which makes absoloutely no sense as Doom's graphics have a higher resolution (apart from screen display) and have well-digitized images.

As for your claims about extra "ammo" :)...

Unfortunately, in the beginning, nobody who argued with me would listen to any of the valid points I made. One of the try-hard, stuck-up hardasses of the class asked for a go. I let him, and after two minutes the only thing he had thought of to criticize was the red fire from the guns, but now I'm ranting.

At first, my two best friends took a dislike to Doom. I first introduced them by showing a live interactive wallpaper to them. They thought it was cool, so I introduced them to the actual game via a crudely done PRBoom phone port. They were somewhat disappointed by it. Now, after 2 years, they're taking a like to it and watch intently when I play Doom/Heretic on my phone. The next step is getting them to play it...

eh ppl usually like what they grow up with. i aint gonna hate on 00s babies that dont like things from 90s. theres the small percentage that are open and will go back and check out media from the past, but it's rare. when i was a kid i loved shit that was popular at the time cause there's so much exposure. turn on the tv and see a commercial for the latest game and get hyped. pick up the latest issue of egm and see all the cool games coming out.

old games have barely any exposure. before brutal doom, no one talked about it. bfg mightve got some attention, but it aint impressive being a hd remaster when tons of other new fps games coming out.

i have no doubt in my mind that the new doom will be hyped and everyones gonna be talking about it, but OG doom... we'll get some new ppl that like it, but it aint gonna blow up and everyone start loving and talking about it like its the hottest shit on the block

Vs1991 said:

old games have barely any exposure. before brutal doom, no one talked about it. bfg mightve got some attention, but it aint impressive being a hd remaster when tons of other new fps games coming out.

[This is where I'd insert snide comments]

Doom had more exposure than you may think before Brutal Doom came along. The community member count was already flying high above the 13,592's and the vast modding support makes sure it'll keep climbing.

cosmicsquish said:
Hunh. I have been using noob/newb all wrong. I've always been ok with calling other people noobs because I'm fine with calling myself a noob when I first start something. I get the distinction though. Makes sense.

I will use "noob" more carefully, and proudly own up to being a "newb".

I've been hanging out here on Doomworld and online servers since 1999 and I haven't noted any definite distinction between the two in our community. Can't speak for every other community, though. Newbie comes from "real life" and the military, which is no surprise since the internet was kickstarted by the US military. They say newbie may be derived from "new-b", from "new boy". Perhaps the -ie termination is akin to some diminutive or feminine variants of words and names, such as Martie, Jackie, Billie and dearie, since the "new boys" would be weaker and more vulnerable like women or children.

Then in many instances people would likely not notice that a shorter newb version would come from "new-b", so they'd attempt to say "newb", rhyming with "new", and this is somewhat awkward. You'll tend to pronounce it as "noob", that rhymes with boob, and this gave way to the variant noob (and then leetspeak n00b) when it was said enough. Later nub may have been typed to try and reinsert the "U" sound, rhyming with "new" again, yet with a good deal of people likely spelling it on a rhyme with "tub". It's true that the more removed spellings tend to be a bit more negative, but simply because they are harder to understand immediately, coming off as elitist jargon. They don't contain the word new in them.

myk said:
Newbie comes from "real life" and the military, which is no surprise since the internet was kickstarted by the US military. They say newbie may be derived from "new-b", from "new boy". Perhaps the -ie termination is akin to some diminutive or feminine variants of words and names, such as Martie, Jackie, Billie and dearie, since the "new boys" would be weaker and more vulnerable like women or children.[/B]

As they say in the Latin: "Adulescens stultus idiota" or the better known: "Noobus dumbass ignoramus"...

;)

Hey, not to get complicated, but I ken that noob is like boob which is like idiot (which I don't really like because IMHO breasts != stupid**) while newb just means new. Seems pretty simple.

** != means does not equal

Joe667 said:

[This is where I'd insert snide comments]

Doom had more exposure than you may think before Brutal Doom came along. The community member count was already flying high above the 13,592's and the vast modding support makes sure it'll keep climbing.

i did say that there will be more ppl that will like it over time, but not a large amount of ppl like the new releases get nowadays. but then doom does have lasting appeal unlike the new releases

Yeah, I love that it has such a lasting appeal. This is why I love games like Battletoads and old blackbox NES games even though they're a bit before my time - and similarly, why I'm a big fan of 60's rock and stuff, too. I'm more into stuff that seems to have been a labour of love rather than a product of dollar signs in the eyes, so to speak, no matter what year it's from or what variety of media it is.