Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mithrandir

We love you Yoda!

To the angelmobile! away!

heh, well spotted dudey :)

Fuck Fuck Fuckitty Fuck. Kill film critics. They all behave like pompous pricks with giant salaries wedged between their arse-cracks. They only ever say anything good about a movie if it is arthousey or about something nice and morally deep. The stupid cunts on Radion four wer just prattling on about how it was ridiculous using the death of Anakins mother as the trigger that sends him over the edge. Some bullshit to do with Lucas trying to be clever by introducing Freudian theories into the script. Get your head out of your own arse, mate. And of course they made a deal out of the special effects. It's all they ever notice in Star Wars movies anymore, they're so concerned with trying to compare it to anything and everything, to prove that George Lucas has no talent and is essentialy copying, and that his scripts have not an ounce of originality, that they refuse to appreciate them as the wonderful, magical stories they are. Or maybe this only applies to Radio 4 critics. I dunno.

Funny, cuz after the first film (anakin getting whisked away from his mum) i always figured his turning to the dark side had something to do with her.
Cue raspy breathing and a penchant for black plastic.

I'm with Darknation; the story sucked ass.
I'm a SW fan, seen them all in the theater several times when they came out, but this is by far the worst one.
It had such potential... just so amateurishly written I even laughed in the theater.
So much effort for just a flashy film. I liked it but it is merely a shadow of Ep1, and can't even compare with SW and Empire.
sad.

Spike said:

And how does an intelligent imperial soldier manage to twat his head on the door? (see epIV blooper)

(the room to the control room is blown open)

Stormtrooper Commander: TAKE OVER!

*Start deleted scene*

(one of the soldiers bops his head above the door opening)

Commander: PRIVATE! What's your excuse this time?

Private: Sorry, sir. I guess the black lenses did it again.

Commander: (Pointing his blaster at the private) If you use that excuse one more time I'll...

(They hear a tapping sound from a nearby door in the control room)

Commander: Nevermind, let's take care of that

Hehehe, funny, yet believable. Kinda.

Notice how no film us (?) normal people really like and are happy with, gets an oscar? The crap arty ones the critics like get oscars, why? Because they are set to lose money (gasp) so the film companies pay kick backs to the critics to big 'em up, the industry gives them an oscar and hey presto! what we consider shite is now making money

Yes. That is my strongest proof that I'm the only real person in the world and all the others are just Majestic 12 controlled AIs for some kind of bizarre sociology experiment.

Join us. It's not so bad. The food is decent, and the health plan is reasonable.

DC

Ben Elton had an interesting point on Parkinson last night:

He said that acts that are popular, and hugely successful by appealing directly to the fans fall foul of the critics for a very good reason: It is a critic's job to tell us plebeians what to like and what not to like. If we like something regardless of the critics, then we have missed them out of the loop. They don't get their chance to tell us what to enjoy, and so they slate the act/movie/whatever concerned.

I liked it.

Oh yeah, uh, Joruus C'baoth had already been created as a clone on Wayland before Thrawn found the planet -- we never find out who commissioned the clone, but he took over the Mount Tantiss fortress and repository from the previous "Guardian".

The Zahn/Thrawn books kick arse.

Heir to the Empire
Dark Force Rising
The Last Command

--

Specter of the Past
Visions of the Future

So true - characters like Mara Jade and Talon Karrde could have been in the films, they're that spot on.
As for Thrawn, he's easily one of the best bad-guys of all the starwars novels.

"Midi-chlorians, wtf?"

I want to see this. It can't be worse than E1.

I don't put much stock in opinions of critics.

Too many movies "they" like, I absolutely abhor.

So if some critic decides to dig a reason for hating a movie out of his ass and dresses it up all in pretty words (freudian what about Anakin's mother?) ... I just ignore it.

And I loved his scene after the massacre.

(cue Emperor's theme)

....I killed them. I killed them all. They're dead, every single one of them. Not just the men. The women and children too. They're like animals, and I slaughtered them like animals. I hate them!

(cue Imperial March)

fodders said:

Notice how no film us (?) normal people really like and are happy with, gets an oscar? The crap arty ones the critics like get oscars, why? Because they are set to lose money (gasp) so the film companies pay kick backs to the critics to big 'em up, the industry gives them an oscar and hey presto! what we consider shite is now making money

Sadly, that's always the case. But then again, I'm confused by one of my classmates in Environmental Science class that feels it's just the opposite. He was pissed when A Beautiful Mind won the Oscar. "It was total crap!" he said.

A Beautiful Mind is your average sunday night telefilm.
Ron Howard is, at best, mediocre.

This last Oscar ceremony proves that the movie (Hollywood) industry is moved by interests, not quality.

Want some? Go to Cannes.

Heh, the Oscars are about as unbiased as the MTV awards...

Just got back from seeing Ep. II. Well, it's definitely better than TPM, that's for sure. It's actually kind of interesting; I see it as, in a way, the start of the Rebel Alliance. I even see where that Star Destroyers and the stormtroopers came from. Whoever denied or didn't want to accept that they are descendants of the clones needs to double-check.

I also see that Anakin has started to become Darth Vader in more than one way; it must have hurt getting his arm lopped off like that, kind of a creepy foreshadow of what he'll do to his own son later on ;)

Now I understand why Bobba Fett has an eternal hatred of the Jedi. If my dad was killed by one, I'd sure as hell feel the same way.

Those Thrawn books do indeed rule. I read the first three when they first came out, so I had high expectations of the second set. Well, I wasn't disappointed with em, even tho it was only two books instead of one. I gotta read em again, just to see how well they those books fit in to the Star Wars universe now that the prequels are being filled in (IIRC from memory there are a few books that now have continuity errors with the ep1 and ep2, hopefully Zahn's books will fit in perfectly because they deserve to be an official part of the Star Wars universe)

Heh, I finally got around to seeing it today. It was much better than I'd expected, Yoda bouncing off the walls was priceless =)

It's cool how lots of things are beginning to be tied together now, like Anakin's step-brother ends up taking care of Luke. The only real annoyance was some of the Anakin/Amidala dialogue got really corny. The gladiator scene owned, too.

Arioch said:

And I loved his scene after the massacre.

(cue Emperor's theme)

....I killed them. I killed them all. They're dead, every single one of them. Not just the men. The women and children too. They're like animals, and I slaughtered them like animals. I hate them!

(cue Imperial March)

Heh, I thought all the allusions to him becoming Darth Vader were so cheesy and last-minute, "we'll just throw this in for foreshadowing's sake" stuff. They always came out of nowhere and didn't fit in at all.

Although, those allusions certainly were predictable. Like as soon as his mom died, I thought "uh-oh, rampage time."

Whoever denied or didn't want to accept that they are descendants of the clones needs to double-check.

No-one said they weren't descendants, I said the stormtroopers weren't clones though. Then again, they aren't exactly descendants, but they probably had similar training programs and have armour which is just as cool.

Anyone read 'Splinter of the minds eye'? It's embarrassing. The author so obviously wants to shag Leia silly. He uses the relationship between Luke and his sister as a device with which to project his fantasies (you should understand that the book was written in '78, before most people knew that they were siblings).

Example:

'Carefully he lowered himself in next to her. As he unlatched her seat he became conscious of the confined space they were working in. Awkwardly pressed up against him, the Princess seemed to take no notice of their proximity. In the dampness, though, her body heat was near palpable to Luke and he had to force himself to keep his attention on what he was doing.
Raising herself from the cockpit, the Princess stood on the nose of the fighter and reached down to him. "Hand it up, Luke."'

As we can see from this quotation, the author clearly has "speshul feelings" for everyone's favourite princess. The word 'dampness' suggests he has become rather too excited whilst writing this scene, and let his mind wonder. The word 'cockpit' shows phallic imagery, used again, either consciously or otherwise, to deliver the authors message clearly (i.e., he wants to fuck her brains out). It might also suggest that Dean-foster would like to be in control of Leia. In addition, the phrase 'Hand it up, Luke' could easily be interpreted as having connotations of a sexual nature if taken out of context.

I would appreciate it if Enjay would mark this actually, as I am supposed to be revising for my English exams coming up shorty :)
(I have never actually tried inferring meaning into a quotation by taking it out of context before, is this acceptable at GCSE level?)

Heh, sweet, on the cover it reads: "From the further adventures of Luke Skywalker."

Ooh, wait, what if rather than taking the quote out of context I said he was speaking metaphorically? That she is metaphorically asking him to hand out ('up') some of that good lovin'. Or that he is using a device, the idea of Leia standing above, so that she has to 'reach down' to luke suggests that the author sees her as a being superior in sexual nature to himself.

I dunno, It's all this Go-between nonsense we been doing since september.

Wasn't 'Splinter...' written by Alan Dean Foster - the guy who bought us novelisations of the Star Wars and Alien sagas?