Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Unregistered account

Scariest moment in Doom you've experienced recently

What's the moment you came across recently that still scared you? It could be part of a level or some random thing that happened.

Today, I was exploring Spawning Vats and I turned round to see an Imp behind me, RIGHT behind me, lifting an arm to shoot and teeth bared.

I have no idea why, that just made me jump! And it wasn't even dark, it was... *checks* ... 6:45!

So, do you have any? Post them here!

Coincidentally, I happened to left an imp behind in E2M7 quite recently as well, though I heard its roaming sound and found it randomly in the blue armor room.

There was a brilliant trap in Kansam's Trial e2m5. You enter an empty room with a blue key on a pedestal. You approach it, suddenly doors open on the sides. You start shooting there expecting monsters but immediately realize that the monster closets are empty! You're like okay, what was that about? Then you look at the ceiling and OH SHIT THE WHOLE ROOM IS A SLOW CRUSHER! Just barely got out of there. :D

i tend to jump whenever there's a monster coming out of the ground. bonus points if it's a group of them, because then it's extremely loud and increases the effect. Revenants are the worst offender, because there's this huge, distorted AAAAAAAHHH effect going on.

Archviles in some Obsidian's maps actually manage to make me feel intimidated. I think it works thanks to atmospheric elements in these maps. At other times, I'm not seriously immersed even if I encounter bunches of pain elementals or screaming revenants or cyberdemons that immediately kill me.

a good IoS map scares me from time to time.

notably when I see an angry archvile or those moments I get telefragged. imagine shooting and going to where you need to and boom, you are gibbed when a cube lands on you.

In one of doom2 open wide city maps, next to a straight staircase there is a trap when reaching a berserk. Goddamn lost souls.

Excellent timing on the thread, as I entered the forum to make a thread about my first case of getting scared and jumping in ages.

I decided to try Doom 64 EX for the very first time. The game and its conversion are DAMN GOOD. The immersion factor is incredible and it's achieved via music, sound effects and superb textures. No need for pitch black darkness and an imp jumping at you from behind every opened door. Doom 64 handled the atmosphere perhaps the best out of all Doom games.

As for the "scary moment" - it happened in map 02. There is this room with a blue keycard getting teleported from pylon to pylon. The room itself is empty so I thought it was just a puzzle. I solved it, grabbed the keycard and immediately got attacked by a single imp. I jumped and a chill went down my spine as the imp was totally unexpected - KUDOS to the map author! I thought I would never get scared by a classic (pre-Doom 3) Doom game again. Fortunately I was wrong :D

The demon ambush in MAP13 where they all spawn in simultaneously around the rocket launcher.

I'd have to say the last level on Plutonia for the PSX. There's a cyberdemon at the end and it isn't exactly easy. The Music, low health and seeing Doom guy's head fall apart (literally with sound) disturbed me to some extent. Graphic, gruesome and terrible describe it pretty well. PSX Doom is all around more psychologically disturbing IMO.

I got bit in the ass by a Nightmare Specter after I though it was dead, that one got me a little bit.

Oh and the blue screen I got from dicking around on nuts.wad was a whole bunch of fun too, low physical memory sucks.

"The Lost Episode of Doom" wad was scary in first map (e5m1). Thought I could fall forever in space! One of my favorite pwads.

Few days ago I was playing Back to Saturn X ep.2 level 2 Underwater Explosions, I had already grabbed the key and killed the Archvile and Revenants and the chaingunners that spawn in afterwards. I went back on a lift I had already been on and right at the top I was face to face with a fucking Cacodemon, I mean this fucker filled the whole screen and I was not expecting this as I thought I cleared all the spawn in monsters.

I screamed out loud, "FUCK!!!!!!!" and gave it both barrels from the SSG and ran backwards off the lift. If there were people on the sidewalk outside my house, they sure as hell heard me. I've been playing DOOM for 20 years now, started in September 1994, and shit like this still rattles me.

I had a scary moment a little while ago. I don't remember what map it was, but I think it was a zdoom map, and it was in this flesh hallway going to get the red key I believe. Anyway, I was going down this hall and there was a room at the end. An arch-vile came up out of the floor when i got into the room. It wasn't an insta-trap, but it was faster than lifts usually go up and it freaked me out. Almost fell out of my chair.

The mod Ghoul's Forest III played with the lights off + headphones is pretty damn scary.

Ghoul's Forest isn't scary for me. I found the monsters either hilarious, (screamin' skull and the groundhumper) or incredibly annoying (The spooky grudgy lass).

I remember jumping at the shotgunner in... E1M5, a long time ago. On the path to the yellow key. He stepped right out of the doorway and scared me.

And then there's Harbringer.WAD.

I haven't had any of those moments in quite a while, but there is one particular wad where that happens all the time. In Strain, I constantly get startled by the super imps. Nothing like thinking you cleared out an area, just to turn around to see an imp or two staring at you from around the corner. Even worse when they are in the dark. I always found them to be quite creepy.

I was playing 3DGE with the Doom4Ever mod, which unbeknownst to me has a couple of secret guns that drop rarely. So I casually walk over an imp I just killed and suddenly there is a weapon switch and doomguy is holding a wretched imp arm!

I shit my pants...

My scariest moments in Doom are when Doom Builder or XWE threaten to crash - My heart always races and I usually shout at the computer :( When they actually do crash, I cry everytim.

It was about 15 years ago. When I first seen the ending of DOOM Ultimate, I couldn't stop starring at the disembodied head of Daisy. I was frozen in fear. Back then I thought it was a deer with a missing eye and had 2 bullet holes in its neck. I was like 9 at the time.

From that day on (well from 15 years ago), I didn't want to see other endings in that game.

9 years later I've seen its true form and it was a rabbit's head. Sometimes as kids, things we see are different. As we get older, true forms are revealed.

Omegalore said:

It was about 15 years ago. When I first seen the ending of DOOM Ultimate, I couldn't stop starring at the disembodied head of Daisy. I was frozen in fear. Back then I thought it was a deer with a missing eye and had 2 bullet holes in its neck. I was like 9 at the time.

Oh yeah, I remember you mentioning that. It was on my "Do you have any corrupted Doom memories?" thread, wasn't it?
Damn. That's some creepy stuff.

9 years later I've seen its true form and it was a rabbit's head. Sometimes as kids, things we see are different. As we get older, true forms are revealed.

Doesn't seem to work with me, which in some ways is a shame. :)
I was 4 when I first watched my dad play Doom and, as far as I can remember, the only things that seemed different were the levels (including some which later turned out to... not... exist... but now we're getting into corrupted memories territory). I'm 13 now. I dunno, maybe when I'm 20 I'll start seeing all those crazy things you guys keep talking about thinking, Chaingunners' U-bend moustaches and all. ;)

I have another, but it's from, excuse me on this, UACMN (Yes that's right).
When I was in the crackhead forest and used the freeze cheat, he almost got me.

Holy cow.

I've just played MAP10 of Doom 2 (regularly, with no mods or anything) and in an early area, I've seen a zombieman being gibbed, and I didn't cause it. I was like "WTF?", there were no powerful monsters around. Eventually I realized that he must have been gibbed by an imp (!) infighting with him. I remembered that it's technically possible, but very unlikely to happen - the imp must have hit the zombieman twice, once almost kill him and then score maximum damage. These unexpected, extremely rare moments can be disturbing to see.

Doomkid said:

My scariest moments in Doom are when Doom Builder or XWE threaten to crash - My heart always races and I usually shout at the computer :( When they actually do crash, I cry everytim.

the scary thing is

why are you still using XWE :p