Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rabidrage

SNES Doom

Zdoom based ports can play Super NES spc music if you put any in a wad and fmod.dll in the program folder.

edit: oh hello it was snesapu.dll. I have lost track of all the dumb dlls! I probably forgot to re-download knowdlls.dll when I switched computers.

The snes mod I worked on had the spc soundtrack as an option. There is also a sound font that you can load up. We actually had zdoom spc support added for the project!

Ok, for anyone interested in taking a look at this old mod, i have a drop box link here. Unfortunately this is an unfinished version that was built to test a possible hud to match the snes version. It looks good, but it can only be loaded into a map for it to work.. It is not to far off from where it went, but i removed the lowered textures, and i cleaned it up alot. i will find it soon, until now, here!

for the maps and hud: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8mhlvbgubmikcu3/Maps.zip?dl=0

for the mod (put the snesapu.dll into zdooms folder): https://www.dropbox.com/s/9eqy8eszorg7wxg/Snes_Doom.zip?dl=0

a screenshot of the hud if you don't care to try it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7f91rpbkq5nqqe2/Screenshot%202014-11-20%2019.07.06.png?dl=0

Doomplayer6666 said:

The snes port music was so great.

Well it certainly was a nice change but I only really liked few of the changed trackes such as the title, intermission and E1M1 tracks, but the rest not so much.

Avoozl said:

Well it certainly was a nice change but I only really liked few of the changed trackes such as the title, intermission and E1M1 tracks, but the rest not so much.

I REALLY dig E2M2. What DOS should have been.

Even though it sounds a little weird, I like that low tone synth that replaces the guitar in certain tracks, it gives it a little darker of a sound. Midi guitar was always annoying! The snes is closer to what a nice sound card or midi module like a Roland or gravis could do, just in lower quality samples.. I always wanted to make a remix using the same stock samples in higher frequency, maybe add the ride cymbol back in.. just one of those things ill likely never do...

I would venture that the midi output is not necessarily what Bob Prince had in mind when he made the music, especially since that can sound about 273 different ways depending on what midi setup somebody has. I was fortunate to like the corny dos adlib sounds. Notably that "dink" noise that comes out as a bland drum beat every other way I have heard it.