Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lycaon

Where did the stories come from?

All the ID/Raven games start off with no introduction, yet in the wikias one can find very detailed background stories for doom, heretic and hexen. Where were these taken from? Did they come with the first CD's or something?

Please don't use the wikia version of the Doom wiki. It is obsolete. Use doomwiki.org.

The stories come from the manuals included with the games. You can read the story text as it appears in the manuals here.

I was using that one, I never realized it wasn't a wikia. One learns something new everyday, they say :P

Modernday game manuals pale in comparison with 90's and 80's game manuals. It was fun browsing them for backstory and nice hand drawn art featured on pages

I used to enjoy looking at game manuals for Nintendo games just for the sake of it.

Lycaon said:

All the ID/Raven games start off with no introduction, yet in the wikias one can find very detailed background stories for doom, heretic and hexen. Where were these taken from? Did they come with the first CD's or something?

Raven games totally had introductions.

And saving the best for last:

I suppose the Doom stories are from the same era when eight-bit beeper games had fantastic cover arts.

Waffenak said:

Modernday game manuals pale in comparison with 90's and 80's game manuals. It was fun browsing them for backstory and nice hand drawn art featured on pages

What's a game manual?

You mean the first half of the game wasn't filled with pop ups and unnecessarily long cutscenes that teach you the controls and features, kill immersion, and couldn't be disabled or skipped because the game had zero replay value? Who would want to play such games? And where do they live?

Face23785 said:

What's a game manual?

A little paper book (or alternatively a textfile) accompanied with the game.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri had a nice manual ..a book packed with it.