Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

Possible fresh coat of paint for the wiki

What's your opinion?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What's your opinion?

• Go for it.
    • It blows goats, keep what's there already.

exl said:

It still looks a lot like the old theme, but the change in color does help. Although the heading background colors ("About DoomWiki.org") don't match the rest of the theme. They should be a shade of blue instead of the purple\lilac they are now.

Check again, I've made HeadingA darker. HeadingB has been kept the same, because I'm not sure what to do with it.

Eh, if I were to pick a color set to represent DOOM, the game, blue would be near the bottom of the list. Red, orange, yellow, tan, etc. are all more recognizably DOOM colors. The new scheme is nice, but it certainly doesn't feel DOOM-y. Ah, well, it's just a color scheme.

I actually disagree with Salt-Man Z, blue is one of the most recognizable colours in Doom because it's so sparsely used. I associate it strongly with techbases, and it's also the color of the soulsphere.

dethtoll said:

I actually disagree with Salt-Man Z, blue is one of the most recognizable colours in Doom because it's so sparsely used. I associate it strongly with techbases, and it's also the color of the soulsphere.

Exactly what i think.

I think it looks nice; the text seems somewhat hard to distinguish from the background, probably owing to the large amount of blue. Links in particular seem to run together. I should point out that I'm viewing this on a 17 inch 1920x1080 display, so that might be a big contributor to the issue; things seemed to stand out slightly better with the red theme.

Still, it's very nice looking either way. Very nice work, and I do agree that the blue theme is ultimately easier on the eyes.

dethtoll said:

This is a very weird argument. Blue is rare in Doom so it characterizes Doom well? Whaaaaaa?

Memfis said:

This is a very weird argument. Blue is rare in Doom so it characterizes Doom well? Whaaaaaa?

You know what game blue characterizes even better? Quake.

Game load, DOS or baby, DOOM.WAD, serious time. Look with eyes, drawn towards the center of screen. No Gun, No Face, Yes Floor ahead.

What floor?

FLAT14

BLUE FLOOR

*BLUE*

There's yellow on that logo, but I have no idea what the other color is. Pretty sure it's not a color that's actually used in the game.

Using Firefox, I added the zdoomwiki search engine but it has no icon! (Even though the site's favicon works fine.)

VGA said:

Using Firefox, I added the zdoomwiki search engine but it has no icon! (Even though the site's favicon works fine.)

We don't run the ZDoom wiki; that belongs to Randy Heit.

VGA said:

I meant Doomwiki, oops!

Might be a misconfiguration; I'd imagine since the OpenSearch plugin available through the wiki is generated by MediaWiki, then MediaWiki needs a path to the icon in order to link to it in the OpenSearch description XML file. I've yet to run into info on setting that up by accident, but I can look for it deliberately. The icon you see in your browser is showing up because it's in the default location from which a browser will try to fetch a favicon file. MW isn't aware of it.

The Doomwiki icon shows in my Search Engine list, though I can't recall when I added it to Firefox.