Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Kills, Items, Secret

Maybe at that time, the idSoftware crew wasn't really using the terms "secret areas", "secrets". So the SECRET counter wants to tell you: "How much of a secret did you reveal in this map?" Just a theory, possibly totally wrong.

Another thing is that it's already longer than the other words even without the S appended. Maybe they wanted to keep a closer balance of visual "weight".

I was about to say that it always seemed OK for me (should be "secret percentage" and not "secrets percentage"). I remembered Wolf3d had "treasure" not "treasures" so I was going to mention that to support the theory. Unfortunately, I just checked and Wolf had "Kill ratio/secret ratio/treasure ratio" so I'm confused again.

joe-ilya said:

Why not :
KILL
ITEM
SECRET

Well, this is my reasoning for why not:

Sodaholic said:

Another thing is that it's already longer than the other words even without the S appended. Maybe they wanted to keep a closer balance of visual "weight".

I think Sodaholic's answer makes sense. Possibly the extra S at the end would have made it too long in contrast to "Kills" and "Items".

Which items count for that percentage? And do I actually need to pick them up?

VGA said:

All items that are there by default, so picking up a fallen enemies weapon wont count to the items percentage.

Doominator2 said:

All items that are there by default, so picking up a fallen enemies weapon wont count to the items percentage.

No, not all things you can pick up make up the %. Weapons, health kits, armour jackets and ammo does NOT count at all, unless you fuck around changing things with DeHackEd or some source port stuff.

VGA said:

Health Bonus, Armour Bonus, Berserk, all 'Spheres, Computer Map and Lite-Amp. In order to get the %, yes you do need to pick them up.

So that's why I can pick up health bonuses even at 200% health. That explains their existence, too, because the game has real health items anyway. I thought it was only to add more content and color to the maps and help with not getting lost, like inverse breadcrumbs!

all items that you can always pick up no matter what are "countable" items. everything else does not. err, well, not EVERYTHING. keys you can always pick up and they do not count. i guess everything that has a beneficial effect for you and you can always pick up count.

But in vanilla only the first Computer Map is pickupable (!) and doom2 MAP27 has two, so you can't get 100%. trollololool

EDIT: I got ninja'd

Like many other similar details, the Elders of Doom, in their infinite wisdom, put this small bit in there so that in ages to come, Doomers would be debating about their apocryphal meaning. I'm sure one of them is currently smiling knowingly -a thin, if paternal smile- as he lurks through this very thread :)

They could move the K/I a little to the right if that's what they've been trying to do.
Or just stretch them, or just let it be graphics instead of letters or just put the first letter of each.

The possibilities are endless, removing the final letter is just lame, come on ID!