Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hoodie

How does doomguy open doors?

He just walks up and pushes use.

But for the sake of immersion, how do you think the doors work since there doesn't seem to be a switch on most of them.

Maybe they're all touch sensitive, even the wooden ones.

Think of the demonic doors in the same vein as doors in haunted houses: creaking open while a sinister voice goes "I've been expecting you...."

:P

How do the automatic doors at a store work ? :)
certainly not because a sensor knows you are near, to open the sliding doors... ooh no... certainly not. *cough*

And the wooden ones are demonic Mechanical Magic or something...

He pushes them up or down, and the pneumatics complete the movement. Like the door of a car's trunk/boot.

He pushes them up with his leg, if they require a key, he pushes the key underneath the door.

Ever wondered why are there key activated switches? It never made sense to me.

For that matter, where do all those rising doors go when they are open? E.g. the door to the fortress in E3M1, where does it go?!

MFG38 said:

He doesn't. The doors open Doomguy.

I thought he did pushups and pushed the ground downwards, while the doors stayed stationary.

I dislike doors that open for doomguy. I press on them anyway by instinct and they close again. I would hate to work at Icarus.

How does he close doors and activate switches that are out of reach?

Spoiler

Memfis said:

I dislike doors that open for doomguy. I press on them anyway by instinct and they close again.

I fucking HATE this shit in deathmatch. It is deeply engrained in my head to right-click when I'm near a door. A note for any mappers out there, please make your doors automated, or touch activated, not both...

Doomkid said:

I fucking HATE this shit in deathmatch. It is deeply engrained in my head to right-click when I'm near a door. A note for any mappers out there, please make your doors automated, or touch activated, not both...

having tested my own maps in deathmatch, the distance between the walkover line and the door is pretty long in order for it to open before the player bumps into it running at full speed. If the player is chasing someone, sometimes the following player can cross the line while the door is open, and it can close before he gets to it. if you can't open the door when it does that, then you have to run all the way back to the invisible walkover line to get through.

Maybe you could have extra walk over lines in between in case that happens, or maybe if there's a SR Door Open Wait Close (fast) linedef type, you could use that on the door so you don't get the ability to close the door. Thanks for bringing that up.

40oz said:

Maybe you could have extra walk over lines in between in case that happens, or maybe if there's a SR Door Open Wait Close (fast) linedef type, you could use that on the door so you don't get the ability to close the door. Thanks for bringing that up.

Both of these are excellent solutions to the problem. I find that adding 2 or 3 extra walkover lines near the door prevents players from having the door "slammed in their face" so to speak, but I never even thought to just use the 'SR' fucntion rather than the 'D' function!

Do not try and open the door. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.
There is no door.
Then you'll see, that it is not the door that opens, it is only yourself.