Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrol1985

Which DOOM monster is responsible for the biggest amount of deaths?

rdwpa said:

"Doomguys went boom" made me laugh pretty hard.

It's a standard obituary message for a barrel death in ZDaemon. ;)

This is how I would rank each enemy from least deadly to most deadly with my reasoning for each.

Demon- these guys don't really kill the player very often due to only having a melee attack, they only seem to kill the player very often when used in hordes or just by taking up space when the player is trying to doge a different type of attack.
Zombieman- Though they are quite a common enemy these guys are just to inaccurate & don't pack a big enough punch to kill the player very often, unless the player is super low on health & then they immediately become super accurate & always get their most damaging shot
Lost Soul- These guys are pretty weak all around, in open spaces they often miss the player & in tight spaces they are often infighting. The reason I rate them higher than a Demons & Zombiemen is due to the effectiveness of Pain Elementals
Arachnotron- Often though of as a more dangerous enemy, these guys are low on the list due to an extremely high pain chance & large hitbox, unless facing these guys with a pistol they can hardly get off a shot. They are more effective at killing the player though when used at a distance where it is harder to get the painchance, but the player also has the space to dodge the projectiles so they are still fairly ineffective
Hell Knight- These guys are pretty much worthless in an open area, so to counter this mappers often put these guys in very tight areas, combined with their low painchance & high attack damage they can get in quite a few kills
Baron- Though used in lesser numbers than Hell Knights, Barons are often used in a similar way add in all that extral health & these guys come in just above Hell Knights in number of player kills
Spectre- These guys are much better at killing the player than their visable counterparts, especially when used in a dark environment
Mancubus- Though these guys suffer the same problems a Arachnotrons, to a slightly lesser degree, I put them higher on the list due to the somewhat unpredictable nature of their fireballs. The player can often doge right into a fire ball or when you think you are safe behind a corner that fireball just makes it around to get you
Spider Mastermind- These guys are extremely efficient at killing the player due to their rapid fire weapon, but they also have some huge disadvantages, first off is their massive size, which restricts movement so a player can often kill them from the safety of a corner or a pillar. They become almost useless if the player has a BFG.
Shotgun Guy- These guys are very common & can really pack a punch if you are not being to careful.
Arch-Vile- A deadly enemy for sure, but if the player has a SSG or Plasma Gun their threat can be greatly reduced due to the pain chance, especially if there is any sort of cover. Also these guys can sometimes get stuck resurrecting monsters instead of attacking you, but on the other hand if he resurrects to many monsters he can be very difficult to get to.
Cyberdemon- Not deadly due to it rarity, extremely deadly due to its massive health & damage done by rockets.
Chaingun Guy- These bastards can chip away your health until you're dead from a distance or they can completely ruin you day when up close & personal
Revenant- Those fucking homing rockets, they either send you running into something else attack or you think you safe around the corner & then boom 80% damage
Imp- Perhaps the most common enemy in all of Doom, Imps are often a low priority when clearing out a room so by the time you've dealt with everything else you are most likely low on health & one imp fireball is all it takes to send you to your grave.
Cacodemon- Yeah I think the Cacodemon is by far the most deadly Doom monster, it's quite common, it attack is quite deadly, & unlike lost souls they are pretty effective at getting in your way as they fly around the map. They are pretty useless if you have a caingun or BFG, but most other weapons will send them flying backward & then the player will either waste ammo trying to kill them as they fly away or you leave them alone & they come back to bite you in the ass

It all depends on the map I'm playing. I lately was playing a mapset whose creator seems to have a Shotgun guy fetish which made me realize how much I hate those guys.

I'd like to write what inspired me to ask the question:

Some time ago I played an MMORPG called "Tibia" (don't judge me...) and their website had some script collecting data about player deaths. The most common causes of death by far were all sort of environmental traps - poison clouds, fires etc. The second place was taken by rats, which in this game constitute the weakest enemy, but many 1st level characters get killed by them if they're newbies to the game.

Thus I decided to ask you the question about Doom. I'm certain former humans aren't the deadliest - they're far too weak for that, but what about environmental hazards? Crushers, inescapable acid pits, barrels etc. In your opinion, how deadly are these (collectively) when compared to monsters?

In that case it depends on the map and on how extended the hazards are. If you have an entire level with a damaging floor and force the players on narrow catwalks, of course you'll get a lot of deaths. Similarly, if you fill a level with deliberate bastard crusher traps or even "reactor core" traps (floor suddenly becomes damaging, plus you block the player's avenue of escape) of course you'll get a lot of newbie deaths there.

In order of no particular order:

Cyberdemon
Spiderdemon
Chaingunner
Shotgunner
Mancubus
Revenant

Some of my stats from 2008-2009 indicate that cacos were among the least lethal, so idk.

The biggest database would be my MM2 HMP runs, but I think I lost the file.

I have one small database(darken2 HMP runs) and one medium (icarus HMP runs).

darken2:
sergeant      8
chaingunner   7
imp           4
hellnite      3
revenant      3
arch-vile     2
former human  2
own rocket    2
arachnotron   1
demon         1
mancubus      1
spectre       1
icarus:
sergeant     28
imp          18
own rocket   14
mancubus     13
baron         8
chaingunner   8
former human  7
barrel        6 (5 of which happened on MAP12 :-P)
slime/blood   6
cacodemon     4
hellnite      4
spectre       3
arachnotron   2
crusher       2
lost soul     2
revenant      1 (!!!)
spider master 1

Fucking Chaingunners. Those bastards can drop you from full health to zero in no time at all. Throw some shotgun guys into the mix and you're hitscan soup.

For a stat of this kind to have any sense, we'd need data collected over many different maps from many different players.

Maes said:

For a stat of this kind to have any sense, we'd need data collected over many different maps from many different players.

Perhaps some port developer would agree to add a statistics collector?

Memfis said:

Perhaps some port developer would agree to add a statistics collector?

If there was a source port faithful to Boom, but with an added option of collecting statistics I would definitely play it.

Also, for the sake of clarity let us assume that we're talking about Doom II. I think its share of various monsters and traps is fairly balanced (unlike, for instance, Plutonia, where I reckon 99.9% of deaths come from Revenants :P :P :P)

Here's something about Cacodemons Im noticing no one mentioned. They have a very fast attack. 15 frames compared to the Baron's 26, or the Imps 24. They aren't in their attacking animation for long, so they are in their chase state more often, so that could be an explaination on why they seem to attack more than normal enemies. The revenants attack is close, 20 frames, but then they hold another 10 frames in A_FaceTarget.

Has to be imps, revenants and my own rockets for me.

The 30+ damage shots from shotgun dudes always have me
swearing up a storm. No matter how many times I fight them
I always get surprised at how deadly a few shots can be
when you let down your guard.

I changed my mind, Chaingunner is ... especialy when there is no where to hide and there's a Party of Chaingunners

sudo459 said:

Here's something about Cacodemons Im noticing no one mentioned. They have a very fast attack. 15 frames compared to the Baron's 26, or the Imps 24. They aren't in their attacking animation for long, so they are in their chase state more often, so that could be an explaination on why they seem to attack more than normal enemies. The revenants attack is close, 20 frames, but then they hold another 10 frames in A_FaceTarget.

Cool, being an avid Street Fighter player where you look at the frame data of the characters' various attacks, such as a quick attack being normally 3 frames and a heavy attacking normally being around 6 frames, this glimpse of frame data of Doom monsters was pretty unexpected but interesting :)

Archviles, Chaingunners and Shotgun guys are my priority targets because of the threat they pose. Especially Archviles, hateful things especially if the mapper is being a dick about their placement.

I feel like I get shredded by Chaingunners whenever they're placed behind me in traps. Other monsters I'm zig-zagging and turning, identifying them by sound ideally. But if Chaingunners start hitscan fucking you before you can turn to face them you're toast...it seemed like a bunch of Requiem maps used them this way, which was really frustrating.

Also, Revenants right behind doors in narrow corridors. Really quick melee attacks, takes 2-3 SSG shots to bring them down, and naturally that homing projectile is a real hassle when you don't have room.

I would say revenants and archviles.

Revenants kill me all the time because their rockets are complete BS. It will do intricate shots just to troll me. They also are annoying while fighting other enemies

Archviles kill me because they can attack from any point on the map. It is hard to find somewhere to hide while fighting the rest of the monsters. Also unrelated but resurrection is also ridiculous.

Oh yeah and the mastermind also kills me all the time because of their accuracy even across a giant map. Unlike the cyberdemon it is very hard to avoid their fire and I have to resort to peek-a-boo shooting. This often gets me killed by other monsters.

Generally, whether I'm playing a new map or one I've learnt from tip to toe, the number one killer of Doomguy is my terrible movement. Please remind me to type NOVERT more often

Though it's quite rare to actually run into them, I'd say the Nazi soldiers from the secret maps on Doom II at least tie with the chaingunners for ripping you apart relatively fast. Thankfully, those levels tend to have them in packs so they're as likely to end up killing each other as anything else.

My anus is usually pulled apart by Spiderminds or Cybers in close range. Arch-Viles are also on my list. I really don't have many issues with Revenants, at all.

My list would be ;

1 - archvile ; these things shred me up...
2 - spider anything ; i tend to go "up yours", stop playing.
3 - chaingunner ; when i am on low hp.
4 - cyberdemon ; in cramped maps / bad boss fights.
6 - shotgun guy ; whenever i am not playing to win or they swarm me.

The others are based on location, status of doomguy, map design, and what gaming mood i am in ; relaxation, sight seeing, just playing, or the painfull proctologist of demon kind.

Without a doubt, the enemy I fear most is this son of a bitch. Fucking Revenants. For some reason certain maps and map sets (*cough* BTSX) are in love with them and use them more than just about any other enemy except Imps.