Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Another WAD making thingy

I really despise the L.I.N.K idea... it's too hard to make any interesting layout and large scale architecture like that, it will probably be like 5 different levels put together to one big mess.

The 100k (or whatever) idea on the other hand will need lots of creativity to make it good looking and interesting to play, and small maps are often lots of fun.

mmnpsrsoskl said:

Someone set us up a poll.

Pun intended?

I still think a megawad full of realistic maps would own.

Archvile64 said:

I still think a megawad full of realistic maps would own.

Aren't you doing one?

Heh anyway, L.I.N.K. is a bad idea. I hate working on other people's maps. I may use them from inspiration but I'm picky in that I like to do all my own stuff. The 100k limit is certainly interesting but there are many technical issues to be covered (think of when the speedmapping theme was 'don't use a grid' except worse).

There was a map i played a long time ago that when i looked on the automap, the entire map looked like a demon's head. So here's my pitch..
Why not make a megawad with the most creative, artistic looking maps on the automap screen?.. I think that this could be really cool, so long as the gameplay isn't completely dead. But maybe that could make it harder?.. Creating a playable map with a strong artistic automap theme is no easy task..

comments?

I like the idea of limiting the size of the map on the grid. Like everything should fit in a 1024x1024 area. This should motivate people to create überdetailed rooms. I don't like the idea of limiting the wadsize to less then 100KB, since that would basically take away a lot of detail. And I happen to like maps with lots of eye candy.

hmm, 1024x1024.. that would be interesting... can you say 32k segs? ;)

I'd rather see something more free.

How about this theme:

"Make the best DOOM 2 level that you're capable of building"

Fredrik said:

"Make the best DOOM 2 level that you're capable of building"

"Make a really kewl level that like, totally kicks ass and stuff"

fraggle` said:

Better yet!

fraggle` said:

I wonder how many submitted maps are actually capable of meeting those requirements.

What I like about the 100kb idea is that it's fast and easy to do. Hell, you could do it in a 2 week time limit easy.

Archvile64 said:

Pun intended?

Of course.

And the grid size limit sounds good. Well, we'd better hurry and think of something so Ling or someone can plan it.

Yeah, 1024x1024 is too small. I just did some math and figured out that 1024 is eight times the width of a bigdoor. That's a pretty cramped map. 2048x2048 is probably more suitable.
What I don't like about the <100KB or the limited sidedef idea is that it restricts the number of sidedefs a mapper can use. Which means less detail and crappier looking levels. The 10sector contest did not limit the number of sidedefs, allowing creative mappers with a lot of time on their hands to create huge and detailed maps.
I think it's important to set a limit in a contest. In the 10sector contest the strict limit of 10 sectors pushed map authors into thinking differently. It was a real challenge.
The challenge in a "max size in grid" contest would be to make maximum use of the little space available.

I'd have a go at anything really, but I like outdoor scenes and large spaces in general so restricting the size would be very annoying.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind some sort of grid limit, cause there's no real loopholes around that, and it doesn't limit your creative ability or detail.

Liam the Bard said:

Aren't you doing one?

Yeah...so? There can never be enough of them, I say.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind some sort of grid limit, cause there's no real loopholes around that, and it doesn't limit your creative ability or detail.

Best outdoor themed level and/or best Doom garden design or something. Something pretty where Doomguy can retire..

Hell, best mansion/country house/domestic castle. I love well executed domicile levels.

Re-enact doom2, or doom 1. Or we gonna make Doom 0 (zero). The Story before doom 1. Whatever, maybe this will be the LAST doom 2 megawad(32 levels). Doom 3 come next year.

Yeah, Doom0 sounds like a cool idea. The only restriction should be that we should only use the Doom Alpha Textures.

Actually that is a kind of advantage, since some of the alpha textures are awesomely cool.

Get the Alpha resource wads from deathwarrior.slipgate.org

They are worth the download.

Yeah, some of those textures are quite cool. Deathie's letting me use them in DOM =)

NokturnuS said:

Re-enact doom2, or doom 1. Or we gonna make Doom 0 (zero). The Story before doom 1. Whatever, maybe this will be the LAST doom 2 megawad(32 levels). Doom 3 come next year.

Doom 0?

I find it really hard to think up a story for that, maybe you have to help with construction of the portals? :P

I've thought about making a Doom 1.5 at one point; the space between the two games. The WAD starts with you standing over the dead Spider Mastermind in e3m8 and ends with you finally reaching the Entryway in map01.

Fredrik said:

I like the concept of just making a plain megawad with a given story as a base.

We could use the Cthulu story!