Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Worst mapping error in iwads?

E4M01 (thy flesh consumed map 01), shotgun guys killed me 3 times a few days ago while shooting trough a wall in the small building where you get the first key. It happened every time i rushed in there before giving them the time to teleport into the small hallway.

I am still wondering if its a fake wall, or a blockmap bug. i did not check it in an editor yet. (i was using zdoom.) The fourth time i shot them trough the wall as one of them did not teleport for some reason.

scifista42 said:

It's totally an error.

Only if they knew about straferunning. Are we sure about that?

Actually, you can run there straightly, without straferunning, you only need a little run-up over the catwalk. I've just tried it and found out that it worked.

That small blood pit at the end of E4M5. I've seen the MAP21 raising stairs break sometimes.

ASD said:

I've seen the MAP21 raising stairs break sometimes.

They break if you press the first 2 switches in a rapid succession (when the 1st stair finished its movement, but the 2nd and/or 3rd stairs did not yet).

Maes said:

The "patch" itself is an error, as it's quite literally just an independent patch WAD file, rather than a differential fix to the IWAD file itself.

Although don't forget that there are some officially available IWAD versions that have been fixed.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/47749-tnt-map31-officially-fixed-in-some-versions/

Aaanyway, I don't think this crashes vanilla Doom but it certainly used to crash some ports: IIRC the door tracks on MAP06 of Doom2 are set to be door open types and using them can cause problems with some ports.

In Monster Condo, if you walk into the corpse room and head forward all the way to the blue switch, but then move over to the other switch, activate it and jump into the BFG secret, you'll be softlocked on the closed ledge. I remember getting stuck there as a kid and feeling betrayed after like 30 minutes of wallhumping the area over and over. The linedefs that open the ledge have an unusually retarded shape even for Sandy. I'd say it was supposed to be a third dropping floor section, but then Sandy decided otherwise and just made the edges activate the ledge instead.

While it doesn't affect gameplay, has nobody mentioned the entire wall HOM in doom 2 map28?

It's possible to get stuck in Doom 2 Map08 yellow key room. Open the door by using the switch then run quickly to the other side of the door (so you can close/open it), and close it before it opens completely. While the door is closing, enter the room and you will find that the switch doesn't work. Doesn't happen very often in normal gameplay ':D'

For some reason I recall the narrow pain elemental pit in map 17 of Doom 2 breaking when you try to press the switch to make the floor raise. It might have been an old IWAD, but I remember it sometimes lowering infinitely until the engine quit.

Hoodie said:

Let's just say "The end of Tricks and Traps" early so it's out of the way.

Cynical said:

I doubt it's an error.

A map that has "traps" in the name has a trap at the end. There's little surprising about that.

It seems to not be a commonly known thing, but entering the lowering platform room opens a teleporter in the bottom corner of the north room that allows players to reach the exit room even if the platforms have lowered.

Memfis said:
Ichor said:

Then there's Doom 2's map 6. When you open the red key door, don't ever try to use the door tracks there.

Oh snap! Chocorenderlimits crashes immediately, vanilla in DosBox hangs for several seconds but then I can play normally again... What happens in pure DOS?

A venetian blinds crash.

Gothic said:

Sometimes killing the last arachnotron on MAP07 makes the tagged floor raise two times, making the map impossible to finish unless you jump (in modern source ports) or use idclip.

Indeed. It's not a bug in the IWAD, though, since you can't change this particular action type in there. Marking them dead and counting them much later is clearly a goof in the code.

Hoodie said:

Let's just say "The end of Tricks and Traps" early so it's out of the way.

The heck are you talking about? That's an obvious trap and there's slime there to kill you if you fall. How is that an error?

Hardly something that happens commonly, but The Courtyard in both DOS and PSX Doom has allowed me to get stuck behind the teleport pillar in the Blue Skullkey room. Teleport linedef didn't trigger for whatever reason, and I just went straight over the pad and down behind the column. This is why I never have such designs in my own maps, so that I don't get trapped behind something when the engine takes a time out and fucks things up.

Thanks, game.

joe-ilya said:

HOM step in E2M4

Oh, how utterly fucking grievous!

VGA said:

The heck are you talking about? That's an obvious trap and there's slime there to kill you if you fall. How is that an error?

Vermil said:

It seems to not be a commonly known thing, but entering the lowering platform room opens a teleporter in the bottom corner of the north room that allows players to reach the exit room even if the platforms have lowered.

Cynical said:

I doubt it's an error.

A map that has "traps" in the name has a trap at the end. There's little surprising about that.

Look guys, it may not be a true error, but it's definitely a problem.

I would quit playing Doom2 because of the ending to that level.

The inescapable slime pits at the very end of The Chasm level. Can cost you the entire run.

Holy shit that MAP06 one is really bad! Never knew about that hahaha

BaronOfStuff said:

It's not an error!

The drones are confused and think it's another pet peeve thread. The map10 exit door is definitely an oversight and can be annoying, but getting locked inside a tiny room with the exit switch hardly tops the chart, heh.

MAP28 has this tutti fruity :

MAP27 has a wierd impassible linedef, it was noted in the "things about doom you just found out" thread.

Many maps, in udoom and doom2 have monsters stuck in each other, like those spectres.

BaronOfStuff said:

But it can only be approached from the front in regular play, so it's not an error. Think, for Christ's sake.

Yes it is, if all the other exit doors are able to be opened from inside, than there's something wrong with this one.

RocknRoll420 said:

e4m1 lower the wall around the NIN secret using the torch, then cross the NIN and go into the blue key area. The wall raises in front of you revealing a big HOM, and as far as I can tell you're stuck where the blue key is. I always start the level over if it happens to me.

I love that effect. The level seriously tries to fuck you up.