Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doommer

Best Engine for all DOOM WADs

I swear: I give up on this.....screw it. I have nearly destroyed my brain getting this to load. I don't have enough years on this Earth to screw around with deHacked.....I just don't. Life is too short. It loads the splash screen and the level end screens and even the weapons, but it won't actually load the levels themselves. I give up. 

You've been trying to make dehacked work since 2015? Wow! Life is indeed too short.

Funny....yep. Really: Trying to get All Hell Breaks Loose to cooperate.........  Just don't have the patience right now. I might try again in 6 months............just:

Not today, Satan......not today.

52 minutes ago, Chipper35 said:

I swear: I give up on this.....screw it. I have nearly destroyed my brain getting this to load. I don't have enough years on this Earth to screw around with deHacked.....I just don't. Life is too short. It loads the splash screen and the level end screens and even the weapons, but it won't actually load the levels themselves. I give up. 

Seems like you don't know much about file handling.

Well, here is the basics:

-.wad files are Where All Data is stored, thats it, maps, graphics and sounds/music.

You can load multiple of them at once, just drag and drop all you want and drop them onto GZDoom.

-.deh files are just text files that Doom Engine can load and are use to modify some parameters inside the game.

They are usually named like the wad they are meant to be played with.

You can add this and drag and drop it along the others.

Now, don't try combinations, like allhell.deh with something else, it won't work. Thats a shitload of work to make that possible.

-.PK3 files are much like wad files, but their internal structure may be different.

Most gameplay mods come as .pk3 files.

Now classifications you may found around the Doom modding scene.

-Vanilla compatible: its a mapset that is designed to be playable on the old DOS Doom limitations.

But you can play it on modern sourceports without problem. Vanilla wads usually come with a .deh file so use them both.

-Limit Removing: limit removing is the same as vanilla compatible, except that it goes beyond the original Doom Engine limitations.

It doesn't have new features, its just like the original but slightly expanded to more freedom on the design.

They are not compatible with the original Doom.exe and need a limit removing Sourceport to be played, like Crispy-Doom

-Boom/MBF (Marine's Best Friend) Compatible: Boom was one of the first source ports that appear for Doom.

It expanded the limit, or removed them completelly of the original Doom Engine, and also add new features, like silent teleporters, colored lighting, and more.

They are not compatible with the original Doom.exe or Crispy-Doom, they need another sourceport like Woof!, PrBoom+ or Doom Retro.

-ZDoom base compatible: this are only playable on ZDoom or a ZDoom derivative sourceport like GZoom, LZDoom, Zandronum, etc.

ZDoom base ports are the most compatible of all, but they may or may not work as intended, thats why there are soo many sourceports out there.

6 minutes ago, Chipper35 said:

Funny....yep. Really: Trying to get All Hell Breaks Loose to cooperate.........  Just don't have the patience right now. I might try again in 6 months............just:

Not today, Satan......not today.

IT way easier than you think already, problem is that you may need to know a little, just a little of how the old PC worked.

Remeber that Doom was made in 1993/1994, so you need to understand that it works with parameters that are from that time, even today.

Sourceports are ther to make things easier.

And you can make everything easier, too.

We will use All Hell Breaking Loose as an example, and also to help you.

Follow this steps and you will be playing it in no time.

-redownload the All Hell Breaking Loose.zip

-double-click it to open it, don't extract anything.

-locate the allhell.deh file

-rename it to ''dehacked.deh''

-close the .zip file

-rename it to ''AllHellBreakingLoose.pk3''.

-you will have a .pk3 file now.

-drag and drop that file onto GZDoom.

Enjoy!

I’m glad this ancient ass thread got pointlessly bumped because I had no idea about that pk3 trick. (Well or VULD for that matter.) 

Edited by StupidBunny

On 5/15/2015 at 7:35 PM, The Doommer said:

Hi , I've downloaded some WAD file from the following link : http://www.doomworld.com/10years/bestwads/
But when i tried ChocolateDoom , PrBoom , Doomsday and ZDoom , they cannot play them . Which engine allows me to play all DOOM WAD files ?

i would use gzdoom and eventually mod the wads to make them compatible with gzdoom :P