Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Does the D_RUNNIN effect exist in other games?

I prefer Duke's dethtoll over stalker and I'm glad they chose it for the userlevel theme.

If I play a huge map, and the same song plays for 30 minutes or more, I just stop the music occasionally. But that's not only for D_RUNNING, but for any music. It just gets annoying if you hear the same music over and over again.

Just had an idea for a solution, some kind of mechanism to shuffle through the music from the various levels, having them play randomly after another. That's what most games with licensed songs do, and I bet that would solve the repetition. Of course, it might have a problem with most of them not being entirely suitable for the current level but eh.

MetroidJunkie said:

Just had an idea for a solution, some kind of mechanism to shuffle through the music from the various levels, having them play randomly after another. That's what most games with licensed songs do, and I bet that would solve the repetition. Of course, it might have a problem with most of them not being entirely suitable for the current level but eh.

A way to handle this would be to have a level only have a selection of songs it could play, so you don't go from heavy metal to chiptune.

I think Reelism does something like this, although I'm pretty sure it's round-based; granted, its rounds are time-based, so it has somewhat of the same effect.

MetroidJunkie said:

You mean something like this?

Arctangent said:

To be honest, almost all of the vanilla SMW tracks have this effect on me. After watching so many playthroughs of rom hacks it actually gets annoying to listen to the overworld level theme from it.

When editing SMW I realized there's like, 5 different songs to use on the stages.. From that point on, the repetition of the music becomes VERY apparent. Replacing songs is a good thing, I finally figured out how but damn, it's a pain in the balls for SMW. I wish it was easy like Doom!

A good question would be, for anyone who had been playing pwads for Doom 1 before, does D_E1M1 get annoying from being associated with some many Doom 1 PWADs? Likewise, does TNT.wad's D_Runnin ever get annoying? That track gets me pumped :)

I've played plenty Doom 1 wads before but I still find D_E1M1 more exciting to listen to. I think its the guitar solo in D_Runnin that makes me cringe most of the time. I'm a big fan of the more bass-y songs in Doom like D_Stalks, D_Doom, D_Romero, and D_Adrian.

MetroidJunkie said:

Dehacked can change the lumpnames associated with the music for each level. I once tried to write a batch file that would randomly shuffle the song titles around for each map and spit out a new dehacked patch to use but my skill is not enough.