Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PikaCommando

Ways that official levels could be better?

Sodaholic said:

IIRC Carmack said that build was held together with "ducktape and bubblegum". Not that he necessarily "hated it", and I don't know if he's ever commented on Duke 3D itself.

I dunno, I feel that's saying It's bad In a nicer way, but I'm more of a John Romero fan anyway.

I can't find the original source but you can find this 1997 (I think) interview all over the Internet:

Alex St. John: If you could just hire anybody from the 3D world, who would you hire?

John Carmack: Well there's a big difference between who I consider the most talented and who I would necessarily hire, because you have to hire people that fit right. If I had to pick who I think is just the most talented, it would probably be Ken Silverman, the guy that did the BUILD engine. He does engines and tools. He's great as an editor. He writes all the code for everything, and he's just extremely talented. I think it was 3D Realms' worst decisions not to coddle him, or whatever it took, to keep him on board. I think if he was still working directly for 3D Realms, they would have a Quake-type game shipped by now, just because he's extraordinarily good. There's maybe a half dozen people that are top-notch A-level 3D programmers. I'm not going to give you a list because I'd leave somebody off and they'd be all pissed off at me.

Enjay said:

I can't find the original source but you can find this 1997 (I think) interview all over the Internet:

Alex St. John: If you could just hire anybody from the 3D world, who would you hire?

John Carmack: Well there's a big difference between who I consider the most talented and who I would necessarily hire, because you have to hire people that fit right. If I had to pick who I think is just the most talented, it would probably be Ken Silverman, the guy that did the BUILD engine. He does engines and tools. He's great as an editor. He writes all the code for everything, and he's just extremely talented. I think it was 3D Realms' worst decisions not to coddle him, or whatever it took, to keep him on board. I think if he was still working directly for 3D Realms, they would have a Quake-type game shipped by now, just because he's extraordinarily good. There's maybe a half dozen people that are top-notch A-level 3D programmers. I'm not going to give you a list because I'd leave somebody off and they'd be all pissed off at me.

Ahh, Looks like I found a false source from that, Thanks!