Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

What are the worst level packs?

Memfis said:

A bit hard to explain but basically it was a very promising-looking project with all new graphics, a unique style and some great mappers participating. I was expecting a new Alien Vendetta or something of that magnitude, then it came out and was just kinda... okay. Well-made but not even close to being mindblowing or inspiring, and very repetitive too.

That's a problem with any vanilla map set that doesn't innovate.

Grezzo 2 might be the worst WAD in existance. I don't know if it's still available though, and where from if it is.

ClonedPickle said:

I'm sorry a Doom PWAD didn't cum in your mouth but you've only got yourself to blame for that expectation.

I agree with you man. It is important to allow works of art to build their own identity instead of demanding from them something they didn't even promise. And I'm obviously not good enough at doing this yet. It's just that the taste is so good!

Soundblock said:

Hey now, it was better than DZONE!

Agreed!

killer2 said:

Grezzo 2 might be the worst WAD in existance. I don't know if it's still available though, and where from if it is.

I can tell a ton of effort went into some of that stuff LOL. I can also tell a lot of the levels are copy pasted/retextured. Like one level is straight up Level 1 from Blood but retextured. And I think the Heaven level was also retextured.

I never finished it but it's damn fun LOL. Definitely not meant to be taken seriously.

Anything I make. I have very low self-esteem.

For real though, the worst wad I ever played was probably one of the three "Doom Cobra" megawads/1994 wad compilations; all three were kind of fun when I was a kid, but looking back at them, they were pretty shit in terms of both visuals and gameplay. Full of HOMs, nonsensical textures (iirc one of the MARBFACEs had a note saying "This is my wardrobe" slapped on it) and bad mapping in general. A few of the levels were even retextured stock Doom maps with some edited sector heights, and other maps had no exit and/or no monsters.

killer2 said:

Grezzo is honestly one of my favorites, theres alot of comedy in the music there, though most is probably lost in translation... fun stuff either way.

My least favorite levels, would probably be those within TNT.

Sorry.

Unfortunately if you aren't italian you lose most of the fun from Grezzo 2.

TNT is a perfectly fine mapset until E3, where the shit hits the fan in an appropriately brown episode. Also, map04 and 08 are pretty bad but at least 04 has an interesting idea behind it. Icarus is pretty mediocre as a whole, although it has its fair share of great maps as well.

I think if you took half of Icarus and TNT you could make a really cool megawad.

Jimmy said:

UAC Enterprises
Project 115
both WOOOs

Yay! :D I was looking for Enterprises to be mentioned! XD

Some thoughts

Doom 2 Reloaded was certainly a frustrating experience doing pistol starts as the SSG was often hidden well into the later episodes, leading into tedious shotgun fights against archviles. It got worse when you had the open area levels that could only be completed in one direction unless you wanted to have no ammo.

Memento Mori 1 gets a mention here too. It's really fun, but I shouldnt have to rely on ZDoom's automap trigger line feature to even get anywhere.

About some other things mentioned

BTSX: Both episodes have been very fun and the music is super awesome with the neat textures. However, if I see more of the same key traps in EP 3, I may go nanners.

That being said, I'm still patiently waiting for the resources to be released.

DTS-T: Could not get into this one at all.

Also, anything by joe-ilya makes me want to puke a little.

The Lost Episodes sucked. Marginally better than shovelware like D!ZONE. The names of the maps were infinitely cooler than the maps themselves.

129thVisplane said:

Full of HOMs, nonsensical textures (iirc one of the MARBFACEs had a note saying "This is my wardrobe" slapped on it) and bad mapping in general.

Sounds like one of the textures from forest.wad, which has found its way into many jumbleware compilation wads, though none of the patch edits were renamed so they can appear anywhere in unrelated maps. IIRC, that particular texture is for a map based on the author's house.

EDIT - That's E2M3 in cobra1.wad. The first half of Episode 2 is an earlier release of forest.wad

The UAC Rebellion
Revenge of the 90's
TheDevilzWork
Doomkid's Deathmatch!
Z-Match

Gothic99. People usually open map01, give it a laugh and delete the wad quickly, but I've made the terrible mistake of actually playing a game on it. It was like coming home drunk and finding all the walls and doors moved and resized. You need to go to the toilet, but you keep hurting yourself on stupidly shaped doorframes, breaking vases because you expected them elsewhere, you try to switch on the light and put your finger into an electrical socket instead, until you finally trip over a chair and puke in your lap, because the new wallpaper pattern is making your head spin. And you sit there in a mess, crying with hopeless confusion, and you still need to go to the toilet. That's how playing Gothic99 feels.

BtSX is not even three quarters that bad.

Dunno if this has been mentioned, but the Maximum Doom maps for Master Levels is pretty much shit. I mean, maybe that's unfair, because none of the maps were made after 1995, but they're pretty god awful. I also played some mod that was just a scripted sequence where an emo kid kills himself, that was just about the worst thing I've ever seen in a video game.

Anything shovelware. Especially when you get to WADs named 'WADPAK**.WAD', which are just a single PWAD combination of shitty maps already in the fucking collection.

Clonehunter said:

Also, I did not like Hell to Pay.

I quit playing Hell To Pay on like, Map03.

Shit was terrible.

While I think it's perfectly reasonable to not much like BTSX (I don't), the idea that it deserves to be on a "worst level packs" list is IMO frankly ridiculous.

There's plenty of stuff out there that is genuinely awful - stuff with broken progression, with non-stop 'dick move' gameplay, or with mono-lit, mono-height boxes as their architecture.

Daedalus. All of it. If you forgot that it existed, I don't blame you. Just remember that this WAD had people humping walls for days. Fun!!
DTS-T. I don't even know what drugs were taken in the making of that, but I've never been nauseated while playing a WAD before. Great job.
Super Sonic Doom: When everything is the same light level, what's the point? Little platforming, and scripted marines as bosses. What a mess.
A Warm Place: Brown brown brown. And cutscenes. Apparently there is some gameplay but who knows? Pass.
Bloodworks: As much as this wad was promoted (and STILL IS!) You'd think it'd be more than just some midtex abuse and terrible ambient sounds.

For DM:
FETALDM series. Pretty! And that's it. They play like diapers.
Bloodlands: A few good maps in a sea of crap.

Reclamation is far worse than Bloodlands, which actually has a couple of pretty fun maps.

Reclamation has none. Not a one.

i think even pursuit had fucking one

jongo said:

Heard a lot of similar comments about buttsex. Why was it a disappointment? cba to spend 15seconds to download the wad and check it out myself.

It was rather boring. Not bad but not good either. That's about it.

*Releases 2009-2010 self*
- The Gamarra series by Giulio Galassi
- "The New Doom", better known the infamous 1337.wad
- JOW.wad
*Sends 2009-2010 self back to its timeline*

dew said:

Gothic99.

QFT. What the fuck were they on when making that pile of shit.

I love the other GothicDM wads. This was the "St. Anger" of the Gothic series..

Regarding the FetalDM wads... Yeah, I like a lot of Adelusion maps and man, they always look great, but some of the layouts are pretty bad, and in certain cases make you want to rip your hair out (Gee, I love respawning with only a pistol in an obvious rcoket spam hallway! Tons of fun!)