Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

Anyone have a sealed copy of SNES DOOM that they might want to...

...trade for?

Have a near half-collection of the 1996 reaper miniatures, 6 of 13, that I'd be willing to trade out for such a SNES sealed copy.

I have a full 1996 collection set on the way, thus... no longer require these duplicates (I go crazy if I have more than one of anything, like some weird OCD I have).

1x shotgun guy
1x zombieman
1x pinky demon
1x mancubus
1x Cacodemon
1x Baron Of Hell

http://postimg.org/image/fr3ce4jij/
http://postimg.org/image/b3xaccw5n/

For these pieces, they roughly came to near $175 for them all (the caco & baron were like $60 a piece.)

Alternatively, I'd part with them for $135 plus free shipping via USPS with tracking to USA, via verified paypal. I'm leery of sending stuff outside the US, though if you're willing to risk it, I'll get it certified mail for you, though shipping is at your expense.

just picked up the full '96 collection for over $1000, so... for this price, you've already got nearly half for a fraction of that if you're willing to wait out to get the rest elsewhere.

If so, let me know. Just tossing that out there.

FuzzballFox said:

Heh, someone just sold like 5 sealed doom 64's couple weeks ago for a couple hundred. But I only need one for my collection. It's literally nearly the last piece I need (other than 3do DOOM... have all the others that I want (DOOM 64, Saturn, Jaguar, 32x, etc)

I have a strict rule... not to hoarde items. There's a difference between a collection and a tribute. Collectors generally hoarde things en masse off the market (which hurts everyone), while a tribute (or a shrine, lol) is usually there just to pay respects... a simple reflection of a legacy, history or influence setup in a stunning display of elegance.

I've seen people all over the net with 20 sealed copies of DOOM 2, 10 sealed id anthologies, 30 sealed copies of Wolf3d, 100 original shrinked wrapped copies of DOOM, etc, etc etc. Of course, they are simply sitting on it so YOU can't have it, unless you're willing to pay some odious premium to them. I despise that notion.

What's worse is they keep this stuff locked away or tucked in some closet or room, never to see the light of day or have anyone walk past and truly admire it for what it is.

So that's why I do only "one of everything".

I did a quick search and there are a few going online on Ebay, that link just stood out more because of how unusual it was! :P

They seem to get going relatively cheap so might be worth taking a peek.

FuzzballFox said:

I did a quick search and there are a few going online on Ebay, that link just stood out more because of how unusual it was! :P

They seem to get going relatively cheap so might be worth taking a peek.

Hmmm, sealed copies of SNES doom generally run about $100, but I've seen cased editions never on retail shelf for upto $400.

I've built a HUGE (while not the biggest collection [though generally the biggest ones are full of random fluff and duplicates]) tribute to classic id games over the past few months. I had most of the collection originally, but of course, boxes were in bad shape, no longer sealed, etc. So I started by buying various sealed or new (though not in shrink) copies, multiples of each, deciding which ones were the one's I was going to keep, and selling off the rest in bulk for cheap to others (guy on Facebook doomworld group bought a original nearly complete id boxed lineup for $80 from me)... similar to what I'm doing with my pewter collection.

I've yet to unveil that as there's still some pieces I'm waiting on getting back from being signed and about 3 yet to be ordered (such as the SNES doom), but all the primary stuff is there. I'll show it off in due time, as much of that collection either came from ex-id staff, or was signed by them, with a couple of interesting and very unique things that few, if any, would have.

How can you tell the difference between a sealed original and somebody that owns a shrink wrap machine?

SYS said:

How can you tell the difference between a sealed original and somebody that owns a shrink wrap machine?

Generally the quality of the wrap. Usually personal shrink wrap devices have cheaper "pull over" wrap that doesn't seal perfectly, or you can tell it was done by an amateur.

Industrial grade machines use a far tougher wrap, and seals beautifully with little to no imperfections.

You could always attempt to take it to a professional center, but it's actually against the law to reseal commercial/consumer products due to potential fraudulent resell of the item being "new". This is the reason if you attempt to take it to a FedEx or Ups store, they'd tell you the same. There's actually a certification and licensing process required to seal and certify "new" sealed commercial products.

Can also check box wear/frayed edges/broken seals. A lot of indicators when you're looking up close. Discoloration is a huge factor, so is the sealant/clearcoat.

While not always present, sometimes stickers on the shrink from retail pricing help determine if what you have is genuine. Even if you buy them with price stickers on them, they can always be removed by just rubbing a papertowel with water on them (don't use goo-gone, it'll break down the shrink, and don't use a heater... it'll melt it)

EDIT: also, just found this, with more advice:

http://www.racketboy.com/journal/game-collecting/how-to-spot-fake-sealed-classic-video-games

Buckshot said:

I've built a HUGE (while not the biggest collection [though generally the biggest ones are full of random fluff and duplicates]) tribute to classic id games over the past few months. I had most of the collection originally, but of course, boxes were in bad shape, no longer sealed, etc.

Curious if you have existing photos of items in your collection you'd be willing to share with the wiki, or could make new ones at request. Particularly interested in any non-US versions of console games, foreign-language versions of PC DOOM, shots of physical media if you have unsealed copies, etc.

It is surprisingly hard to get a hold of pics of some of this stuff in a wholly legit manner. We try to have full permissions for everything we add and that means not just surfing Google til you find a shot somebody else took of it, because for example if they're from the UK, they actually own rights to the lighting and framing of the composition (while in the US, such elements of a pic alone aren't copyrightable - it has to meet minimal creativity requirements, and most merchandise pictures would not).

Quasar said:

Curious if you have existing photos of items in your collection you'd be willing to share with the wiki, or could make new ones at request. Particularly interested in any non-US versions of console games, foreign-language versions of PC DOOM, shots of physical media if you have unsealed copies, etc.

It is surprisingly hard to get a hold of pics of some of this stuff in a wholly legit manner. We try to have full permissions for everything we add and that means not just surfing Google til you find a shot somebody else took of it, because for example if they're from the UK, they actually own rights to the lighting and framing of the composition (while in the US, such elements of a pic alone aren't copyrightable - it has to meet minimal creativity requirements, and most merchandise pictures would not).

Heh, most certainly would... though I'm not focusing on anything but US copies. The international stuff was outside of my scope for this display (and it really holds little interest to me, sadly). maybe down the road in a separate creation. I was really focused on primary core "classic" Id games, with DOOM be a standout.

The person you should talk to is Mahmut Saral

https://www.facebook.com/doomcollector?fref=ts

or this gentlemen:

http://forums.my-collections.eu/index.php?topic=577.0

Both of which I've spoke to recently. Mahmut has one of the largest DOOM collections, and he's in Europe. The other is... well... a "reseller" with a intimidating inventory of legacy id stuff, also from Europe.

Would also recommend maybe you speak to a guy in Texas by the name of Dusty Womack (who is on this forum on occasion, as I also believe Mahmut was a while back), though Dusty likely doesn't have the pieces your looking to get pictures of either. From his set, he focused primarly on all US collectibles, such as myself.

https://www.facebook.com/dustywomack?fref=ts

When I was reffering to "unique" stuff I have, it was more hardware and very rare signatures (such as Aubrey Hodges and Tom Hall signed DOOM stuff), on top of the Romero's Nextstation. Give those first two a shout. You can reach the reseller via a forum PM from that link.

EDIT: Also, don't rule out Romero. He's also a huge collector (obviously) of this stuff, and hes been very helpful, answering many of my inquiries and requests. in fact, some of the things I have in my case are merely because I asked him directly if he had any he'd wish to sell, and he was also doing many auctions and sales of some of his own collections over the past couple of months. if anyone would have them.. It'd probably be him.

id ask for you... but I'm kinda "favored- out" right now, lol. don't want to keep pestering him with favors when he's already gone above and beyond for me on prior requests.

In case anyone wants an example of a re-sealed copy... take a good look at these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WOLFENSTEIN-3D-1995-MS-DOS-CD-GT-ID-SOFTWARE-FACTORY-SEALED-BIG-BOX-SHRINKWRAP-/181625476637?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a49b8d61d

The scuffs and bends and creases to the carton would not have occurred under original shrinkwrap.

This guy sells a lot of "sealed" legacy games, and they're all pretty much fraudulent re-seals.

Plus, he's got his facts all wrong about that Wolf3D and what the box colors represents. The original greenbox was the 1st release floppy disc version, while the black box is the 2nd release CD-ROM verison that came out much later.

I fell into a resealed copy trap at a swap meet. Opened it up and there was a blockbuster sticker on it.

geo said:

...there was a blockbuster sticker on it.

That's just pouring salt in the wounds. Sadistic.