Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Waddling Dumbass Monsters

clarry said:

I'm sure there would be an audience for such a wad. You should feel encouraged to make one.

I'm up for those kinda WADs that are based on the Old School Exploration stuff from the original DOOMs, 'cause, To be honest DOOM wasn't ALWAYS about the gore and murder.

Maes said:

You need to play more ammo conservation maps, where wasting that ONE, EXTRA BULLET that the chaingun uses will soon cause you to OUCHFACE and cry with BITTER and BLACK tears of REMORSE, when that imp you couldn't finish off will corner you and tear you a new one!

I have to stop reading this forum drinking tea, you bastards keep making me laugh.

Maes said:

You need to play more ammo conservation maps, where wasting that ONE, EXTRA BULLET that the chaingun uses will soon cause you to OUCHFACE and cry with BITTER and BLACK tears of REMORSE, when that imp you couldn't finish off will corner you and tear you a new one!

Why not just punch that imp a single time?

Don't bullets do slightly more damage than punches?

Also, I think that theoretical imp would get off an easy 2 scratches while the player freaks out, changes weapon, and then has to punch said imp at least once, most of the time it's much more. But then again, if you let an imp corner you, you kinda deserve to die, lol.

Cynical said:

Why not just punch that imp a single time?

Try that when cornered and unarmored, and see how quickly you'll die. An imp can theoretically kill a healthy, unarmored player in 5 scratches. And you can bet that in such a map, there won't be generous health or armor pickups, either.

But OTOH, that's what makes Doom so awesome: you can go from unstoppable one-man army with the speed of a jeep that can run circles around and annihilate hordes of enemies, to a stumbling weakling that can be killed in an ambush by the weakest of all monsters, just by changing the architecture, the enemy positioning, the lighting, and the powerups you're given.

Doomkid said:

I guess I could create a mapset that uses these fun, classic exploration elements but I'd really have to stress that it was a different sort of Doom experience before release.

Sure I'm up for it! I like that stuff in maps, and stuff like heroes.wad has always been cool with me. Maps with all kinds of places to explore and chill out having fun doing so has always been much more enjoyable for me than those "arena" style maps or whatever you call them that seem to be popular nowadays.

Fonze said:

Don't bullets do slightly more damage than punches?

In Doom, no. In fact, slightly vice versa. On average, that is. Damage outputs of both Doomguy's pistol and fist are randomized. Bullets do "random(3)*5" damage, which means a range from 5 to 15 damage, which means 10 on average. Non-berserk punches do "random(10)*2" damage, which means a range from 2 to 20 damage, which means 11 on average. Fun fact: If you're lucky with RNG, you can kill a zombieman with full health (health = 20) in one punch. But if you're really really unlucky, it can theoretically take up to 10 punches. With pistol, it always takes 2-4 shots.

scifista42 said:

In Doom, no. In fact, slightly vice versa. On average, that is. Damage outputs of both Doomguy's pistol and fist are randomized. Bullets do "random(3)*5" damage, which means a range from 5 to 15 damage, which means 10 on average. Non-berserk punches do "random(10)*2" damage, which means a range from 2 to 20 damage, which means 11 on average. Fun fact: If you're lucky with RNG, you can kill a zombieman with full health (health = 20) in one punch. But if you're really really unlucky, it can theoretically take up to 10 punches. With pistol, it always takes 2-4 shots.

Ah, thank you. I always assumed otherwise simply based on the "most hits required to kill x" stat. Well, you know what they say about assuming >.<

I guess I'll have to get to work on an exploration map from the sound of things :)

scifista42 said:

Things I just learned about Doom! That's awesome!