Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Death Egg

Windows 10 compatibility.

I have the ability to update to Windows 10, but I don't know if it'll break the functionalities of some of the source ports and editors I use. Does anyone know how ZDoom andit's affiliates, prBoom+, Chocolate Doom, SLADE3, Doombuilder 2, and the others run on Windows 10, if at all? I know some Windows updates will ruin compatibility with older Windows versions.

Doom ports and related software shouldn't be doing anything too bizarre to run into compatibility issues on new Windows releases.

The main exception is that I've heard Doom95 doesn't run anymore even with the compatibility hacks that make it run on Windows 7. Not much of a loss imo :P

ZDoom works perfectly for me in Windows 10, as does Chocorenderlimits.exe. When I first updated OS Doom Builder 2 worked fine aside from stuttering in 3D Mode. However, a driver update from AMD has since resolved this. I think I've opened up SLumpEd (I know, I should update to SLADE 3) with no issue, but aside from browsing flats and a textures lump I've not done anything with it.

Basically, I've seen nothing to say Windows 10 will impact any Doom activity.

I noticed that ZDaemon would freeze on Windows 10 for me, but going into properties and choosing compatibility mode for Windows 8 made it work again. I dunno if it works on compatibility mode for Windows 7 or older but it should.

Haven't had any issues with GZDoom, Zandronum, or CNDoom since upgrading to Windows 10. Since 10 is built off of 8, it's safe to assume that most programs that worked with 8.1 will work with 10.

Doombuilder 2 functionality with Windows 10 has been completely smooth on this end. I doubt it'll cause any issues if your system can handle the new OS and if it does, check all of your drivers.

Snakes said:

Doombuilder 2 functionality with Windows 10 has been completely smooth on this end. I doubt it'll cause any issues if your system can handle the new OS and if it does, check all of your drivers.

Does this mean you're mapping? Unholy Realms 2?

AwesomeO-789 said:

From what I've read, gzdoom seems to run fine (in some cases better) on windows 10. Not sure about any other source ports or editors though.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/3gbq1o/how_does_gzdoom_run_on_windows_10_any_issues/

Yes, I have windows 10 and GZDoom runs much better now, nothing was broken either after I upgraded. Doom64 EX, which for whatever reason had framerate issues on my old OS windows 8.1, now runs perfect on windows 10 as well.

Slade 3 crashes constantly on Windows 8.1, is that just me? How is it on 10

Using XWE now, which also crashes if you play "the wrong" wav file.

But then again, I was using Wintex right up until XP, so I suppose I get what I deserve.

SLADE shouldn't crash, report the bug to the official thread at the ZDoom forum.

XWE sucks ass, I ran it once to check out something and it added a right-click context menu by itself. I used FileTypesMan to delete it, but I'm not touching it ever again.