Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

What's the weirdest shit we've done with Doom?

Avoozl said:

I guess Void would count?

Void is timeless.

I think Dystopia 3 is weird too, in a very good way.
And for me looks better in 320x200, because of his simplicity (it's a very old wad).

Once, in order to test the view changing in Mocha Doom, I coded a timer which randomly changed the player's view to one of the other map objects every 5 seconds, so at first you were the player, then you were a decoration pillar, then you were a barrel, then an imp etc.

However, the way I implemented it didn't just change the view, but somehow overwrote the target map object with the player object, and this change was permanent, so after a while your view drifted from place to place, only to see that all things in the map had been changed to Doomguys.

No idea how I ended up doing it this way, but it was a very esoteric experience, similar to the famous scene from "Being John Malkovich":

Noiser said:

Void is timeless.

I've played Void in the past, I thought it was great. And yeah, it's pretty damn weird.

Maes said:

[...]the way I implemented it didn't just change the view, but somehow overwrote the target map object with the player object, and this change was permanent, so after a while your view drifted from place to place, only to see that all things in the map had been changed to Doomguys.

Please tell me you have footage, or perhaps a saved build of this? Sounds interesting and funny!

Doomkid said:

Please tell me you have footage, or perhaps a saved build of this? Sounds interesting and funny!

There certainly must be a disabled comment somewhere doing that, and if it's not in the current build, it certainly it's in one of the older commits (it was done in the rendering loop, in RenderPlayerView).

Edit: the implementation details were never fully commited, but there's a vestige: a modified R_SetupFrame method, which worked for any mobj_t, not just a player_t object.

There also was a randomizer which picked up a random object from those present on the maps (it might also be present, somewhere...), and switched the view to that object. I have no idea what caused the "transformation" side effect, though.

Edit 2:LOL I finally found the magic tidbit of code:

/* Uncommenting this will result in a very existential experience */

if (Math.random()>0.999){ 
   thinker_t shit=P.getRandomThinker();
   try {
        mobj_t crap=(mobj_t)shit; 
        player.mo=crap; 
       } catch (ClassCastException e){ }   
 }
To be inserted immediately after SetupFrame is called (the normal, player one) in any implementation of the RenderPlayerView in any of Mocha Doom's renderers. Actually it had a random chance of 1/1000 to happen, so on average it would happen once every 10000 tics or about once every 30 seconds. Again, no idea why I did it this way :-p

I'm not sure if it will still work with the current form of the code, as it implies that at least at some time in the past, a thinker could also be a mobj_t (the opposite is always true). I need to try it.

Back in the day I came across some weird wad, think it was called waddefuck.wad or something like that, was full of clowns, all the weapons were drug-related, the rocket launcher was a spliff iirc. That was rather weird.

^ DAT FACE.

Weird and disturbing shit...

I think the weirdest shit we've done with DOOM was by id Software itself in DOOM 3, and the Nabcon/ Super Turkey Puncher 3 arcade machine.

These days I remembered that Bauhaus wad. It's abstractly weird and it's great (principally the latter maps).

Gentlepoke said:

What ARE you doing in my Swamp?

THE SHREKINGING IS UPON US!

Didn't somebody make or was working on a Furry dating simulator wad?

My wad is significantly peculiar.

There is also "Egregious Ease of Experiencing Everlasting Egregore Expenditures" too, but time will pass before it's finalized.