Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Has anyone played all or most of /idgames?

40oz said:

I have to ask, have there been any maps you couldn't complete? Either physically impossible or broken or whatever?

There are plenty of broken/unwinnable maps on D!Zone compilations, and I'm willing to bet both nuts that most of these maps are also on the archive. No names in particular come to mind right now, but they exist.

I played quite a bit of Maximum Doom, even if several of them were broken.

There used to be a guy on here who was doing an A-Z playthrough, and writing short reviews. I think he got pretty "far" (up to F, at least).

GreyGhost said:

So only another decade and a bit to go? Let me know if/when you need an updated list.

Yeah, an updated list would be great, thanks! Getting through the mid-90s was the toughest because there are so many wads from then.

40oz said:

I have to ask, have there been any maps you couldn't complete? Either physically impossible or broken or whatever?

Definitely, whether it's bugs or gameplay, it's not that uncommon. One map from the 90s that comes to mind had no health at all in the level and there were many hitscanners.

TimeOfDeath said:

I started in 2009 going from oldest to newest and so far have played virtually every vanilla/limit-removing/boom wad from 1994 to October 2002. I then stopped playing the boom wads (because I was tired of changing the complevel every time) and have played virtually every vanilla/limit-removing wad up until April 2004.

You're an utterly crazy person and you have all my respect for it.

TimeOfDeath said:

Yeah, an updated list would be great, thanks!

Here you go - with an extra 1341 Doom 2 wads to pick through.

Before doing a full list I'll need to audition a few file managers since PowerDesk isn't happy in a 64-bit environment, its file finder keeps stopping 13,820 wads!

TimeOfDeath said:

I started in 2009 going from oldest to newest and so far have played virtually every vanilla/limit-removing/boom wad from 1994 to October 2002. I then stopped playing the boom wads (because I was tired of changing the complevel every time) and have played virtually every vanilla/limit-removing wad up until April 2004.

Pretty cool feat. What's your favourite WAD of all the ones you've played?

Shame you didn't think to record them all as demos because it would actually be pretty useful to have recorded demos of every WAD.

fraggle said:

it would actually be pretty useful to have recorded demos of every WAD.

I posted my site, someone can take up the ones I did not do. If we coordinate we can eventually make demos of them all.

I think links to demos should be on the idgames mirror.

Demos for every wad would definitely be cool. I recorded FDAs for some but stopped doing that because I'd rather play wads for the first time with saves.

Not sure what my fav wad would be. I recently played one of Dutch Devil's early maps that I really liked: dfortres.wad. I used to post the wads I liked into a thread in wad&mods but stopped updating it. I haven't really bothered to document my playthroughs and I'm not very good with names, but I remember if I've already played a wad and liked it (there have been some duplicates that I've encountered). If I like a wad, I'll rate it 5* on /idgames and leave a comment. My comments are usually really simple/useless, which led to a bunch of my ratings/comments on 90s wads being deleted because people thought I was a bot and not a real person.