Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Baron_o_Hell

doom64

This version was truly something great. I enjoyed it a LOT for many reasons. It had a new look. The graphics seemed to take advantage of the N64, which is good. It wasn't like every other port in terms of anything really. This was a fresh Doom game with a new story (as thin as the rest of em, as per tradition, with is a very good thing!)
A new look, new, FANTASTIC levels, new sounds, and still the same classic gameplay method. If you are a self-respecting N64 owner, you own this game. ;) Simply amazing to say the least. Worht every penny I spent on it.

DOOM 64 has pretty nice graphics (albeit too blurry, even for the N64) with fresh new sprites, heavy textures and moody lighting. The game's atmosphere is also very moody because of the suggestive, ambient soundtrack. The levels are awesome - more linear and claustrophobic than those of the PC DOOM - but just as well designed in all other ways. The game's only real con would be the controls. They don't suck, but the player moves too damn slowly. Unfortunately, it doesn't have multiplayer either...

Overall, I think any DOOM fan should own this game, but I'm not sure if other people would appreciate it...

niguel said:

I DON'T ACCEPT IT AS ONE OF THE DOOM-GAMES!!

WTF? It is one of the DOOM.

Is there any way that the Doom64 levels can be exported to a wad which can be played on PC? I know some of our members did a project which made the sounds, music and some graphics (weapons, other sprites?) available.

niguel said:

TURN YOUR CAPSLOCK OFF!!

Biffy said:

Is there any way that the Doom64 levels can be exported to a wad which can be played on PC? I know some of our members did a project which made the sounds, music and some graphics (weapons, other sprites?) available.

The good folks at Doom Depot (depot.wrong.button.com) are working on a TC with (presumably) all of the levels from Doom 64 as well as sounds, graphics, etc.

niguel said:

I sort-of agree, but only sort-of.

Doom64 is alright- I still have it laying around collecting dust somewhere burried in my room, but I was pissed off at that game! Where were the revenants? The chaingunners? The archviles- oh I'm sorry, it had that lame wanna-be-vile boss! And to top it off they threw in a useless rehashed imp and named it "Nightmare Imp". I wasn't to impressed by the game, but it did give me some fun times.

Doom64 rocks. It has some really nice gfx, taking advantage of the N64's anti-aliasing, which makes things a bit blurry, but you get used to it. Colored lighting really helps set the mood as well. The sounds are the same as PSX Doom IIRC, which means that they too rock. Aesthetics aside, the game also offers some really nice gameplay, actually scaring the player from time to time, although it's the same old "kill demons, kill more demons, kill even more demons, find a key, hit a switch, open color-coded locked door, proceed to next level we've all seen in Doom and almost every other FPS since the beginning of time. Doesn't matter to me though, this is what really makes the game that much more fun, the simplicity of it all. 'Course, there are some things which could've been improved upon, one being that there was no multiplayer. This sucks, because Doom players are used to multiplayer. For some, it's the sole reason they even play the game to begin with. Oddly enough, however, multiplayer is nowhere to be found.
Oh well.

Why does it take six years until people decide to buy it? It's almost impossible to find now, but if you do it'd only cost like $10, if that. So yeah, except for the weird Caco sprite, Doom64's one of the best Doom games ever.

When I first saw that Cacodemon, I thought it was a Pain Elemental. The Doom 64 Cacodemon and PC Doom Pain Elemental look almost the same.

[start rant] WHY THE HELL DOES EVERYONE HATE THE CACODEMON FROM DOOM 64! The caco is my favorite. So what if it has arms! They look cool with the chains, and it looks more devious and cooler than a bright red ball. [/end rant]

The only problems I have with it are the controller (though it's the N64's fault and not Doom 64's) and the 2 zombies look too close to each other. Also, 2 stinker levels are in there, however, the rest are unbelievable. Better than what you can find on the PC. The best atmosphere I've ever seen in a game, and one of the best Dooms ever.

I don't hate that Caodemon. I think it looks sort of spooky, myself. When I first played the game, I naturally thought it was going to be similar to the PC Doom (I actually only played the first few levels on some kind of demo computer at a store). So when I saw the Cacodemon, I assumed it was the Pain Elemental, and expected to be swamped with Lost Souls...until he shot a fireball instead.

Hey, I just thought it rocked. I haven't had much time to play it though lately thanks to work, Diablo II, and sometimes working on Lock and Load. In regards to the caco, I didn't wait for a signal, I just shot the fucker to pieces, and that was that :p

The Doom64 Pain Elemental looks like a Grim Reaper to me.....how about the rest of you?

I don't like the doom 64 pain elemantal. it looks abit silly. the cacodemon form doom 64 would have made a great pain elemantal. I also liked the arachnotron. everything else was a bit... eh.

Doom 64 feels like hexen to me. with isn't a bad thing as such...

Ct_red_pants said:

Doom 64 feels like hexen to me. with isn't a bad thing as such...

Isn't there also a Hexen 64? I'm sure I've heard of it, yet no-one here's ever really talked about it much.

NiGHTMARE said:
Isn't there also a Hexen 64? I'm sure I've heard of it, yet no-one here's ever really talked about it much.

Yes there is. It's pretty much identical to the pc version. has a cool splitscreen deathmatch/co-op mode though.

All I can remember of Hexen 64 is a review that gave it 70 out of 100 or something like that (not so good).

DOOM64 must be the best Doom game ( little better than DOOM2 ) with the new cool gfx that makes the monster and demons more scary. I like how the Baron of hell makes that sound when you come closer to it befour it screams. The game it self is kinda creepy... That last boss looks like an archville...