Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ichor

Recording demos from saved games

Is there any way to record a demo off of a saved game (like near the end of a map right before a huge fight), instead of simply recording one from the start of a map?

Ichor said:
Is there any way to record a demo off of a saved game (like near the end of a map right before a huge fight), instead of simply recording one from the start of a map?

Original Doom has -recordfrom savegave demo (where savegame is the slot number, from 0 to 5).

MBF and PrBoom also support that, but they also support a rather easier method by just using -record and -loadgame at once.

For playback, you use -loadgame and -playdemo.

Oooo, thanks. I hope it works in Hexen. I tried the '-loadgame # -record filename' thing, but it always started me at the beginning instead.

Nope. It didn't work. Well, it sort of worked. It took me to the same map as in the saved game, but instead it started me at the beginning with nothing.

cph said:

Original Doom has -recordfrom savegave demo (where savegame is the slot number, from 0 to 5).

MBF and PrBoom also support that, but they also support a rather easier method by just using -record and -loadgame at once.

For playback, you use -loadgame and -playdemo.

In the case of doom/doom2 -recordfrom is broken, it is ignored by them. The command is listed in in the DOOM FAQ, but it was most likely never fully implemented by id. Using -loadgame and -record will seem to work. But -playdemo always starts playback from the normal player start, so it is no good. Only boom/prboom, etc. can effectively record from a savegame.