Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Red

Post your demos!

The Nightmare! demos aside, I need a favor from everyone.

I need everybody to resend any and all PWAD demos they ever submitted. That includes: Grind2, Grind2X, Ruma, Outpost, and anything else that's ever been sent. I'm working on the PWADs page right now and I need all the files again. I seem to have misplaced them.

Also, I'm about to upload a new page under "reviews," so check soon.

What happened to my demos?:(
It's difficult to maintain an interest as things seem to have changed so radically from the initial concept.

The initial concept was "to show how people play." You can do that by recording 1 or 2 demos, so what's the point in sticking to that initial concept and not adding any ideas... It's true that it might overlap with the functions of the DSDA, but not really if the site is basically IWAD demos using any engine plus some weekly "specials" that are PWADs with a commentary and demos for it. Any other more spontaneously recorded PWAD demos would naturally be sent to DEMOn's site.

I personally suggest not adding too many PWADs and adding them after an agreement between interested players, so that you can make sure it won't be a waste of time.

If you're so quick to say you feel things are changing too much because other people disagree on a few details you'll never get anything going...

Magikal, your demos are there, I just need info from you. I asked everyone to mail me the information on their demos and I'd put them up. I'm still missing the demos of about three or four people. All I need is which demos you want to put up (you can get rid of some if you want or add some), which area you want them under (Speed, Max, or Style) and any other comments I should add (Pacifist, Tyson, -nomonsters, etc).

Does anyone have any comments on my contribution to the site? I should mention that on average I would plan to recommend smaller and easier maps than this; this was a map where I had previously done some work, and so could put together some material fairly quickly (and I do think it is an excellent map). Anyway, do people like the overall style, content, etc.? It won't worry me if there isn't an instant flood of demo recording on the maps I recommend, as long as people think they are useful, and that they are likely to play these maps at some point.

I plan to do one map recommendation per week (I'm currently trying to select a suitably Christmassy one). Please note that this is separate from the /newstuff map review, such as the one posted by Nanami.

I agree with myk that it makes sense to limit the PWAD demos to those maps that are specifically mentioned on the site. Still, that means that within a few months there will be quite a substantial list. Of course, the decision on such matters is entirely up to the webmaster.

And on the subject of the DSDA, I don't view it as an either/or. If I think a PWAD demo is worth sending to Opulent, I would send it to him too. I certainly don't expect that I'll be sending fewer demos to DSDA in the future - probably the opposite.

Well I thought it was great. I watched the demos and thought they were pretty interesting. When you said "hopefully you have ammo when you get here," you certainly weren't kidding, were you?

Great work on the pwad recommendation, Grazza! I'll try the level next weekend or maybe friday. Making helpful nomonster demos on each wad is a great idea!

I spent a few hours yesterday trying to learn to play on nm. First I tried map05 and finally completed it in 0:42. I did a stupid mistake on the red key area, but at least I managed to complete it. This morning I tried map06. I completed it, thanks to the spectres at the end :), but the time is quite poor: 2:27. I'll send the demos to Nanami soon.

Oh, and nanami, my map02 skill 1 pacifist and UVmax demos seem to be missing. I don't care that much about the map04 demo, since I wasn't even trying to get a good time.

EDIT: I just noticed that the link to the nomonster demo doesn't work.

DooMer 4ever said:

This morning I tried map06. I completed it, thanks to the spectres at the end :), but the time is quite poor: 2:27.

I think pretty much any exit on NM is something to be pleased with, especially on non-trivial maps like these that don't have invulnerabilities lying around all over the place.

Regarding Mines of Titan, ammo shouldn't be quite as tight as that demo (the one where I die) suggests. In a successful run I recorded later, I had a decent ammo level throughout.

All right. I uploaded as many demos as I could. Please please PLEASE check the main page because I've had so many people complain that their demos aren't on the page, and there's a reason for that. Just look at the mainpage.

I did some PWAD stuff. Mines of Titan has a table now, and I uploaded a demo of Outpost (really neat. Max/Tyson). I've been busy with Dream.wad and recording some Nightmare! demos, but the page has been worked on. I fixed some messed up links, some typos, and other little bugs. If anything else is wrong, let me know.

http://xfury.net/doom

The site's on pause for a little while. Probably no more than a couple days.

My computer exploded or something. The only things that work now are mIRC and IE, and IE crashes randomly. My computer crashed the other day and when I rebooted the only resolution I could get was 640x480. I rebooted three times and it still wouldn't let me change it. I also had no mouse.

I ended up installing new graphic drivers to fix my resoultion problem and installing my mouse software over again. But that was just the beginning! Then I wasn't able to right click on the desktop without freezing the computer. I also got an error message that popped up RIGHT when Windows was done starting. To top it off, all my programs won't even run anymore. Half give me errors about DDRAW.DLL and the other half don't even give an error. AND my sound drivers seem to be messed up because I get errors with WinAmp and no other sounds will play.

Anyway, I'm going to backup all my important files and format C:\ and reinstall my operating system. It's drastic but there doesn't seem to be anything else I can do. But the site should be updated as soon as I have time. Merry Christmas. ;)

Yikes! Does this mean I'll need to resend DRR#002 and DRR#003? And I suppose it means that DRR#002 (the Xmas special) won't appear until after Xmas :( If anyone desperately wants to see it right now, I can e-mail it to them.

They're in my mailbox so I won't need them, I don't think.

Grazza, if you know how to use FTP programs I can give you the password to the site so you can upload the pages yourself when you finish them.

Nanami said:

Grazza, if you know how to use FTP programs I can give you the password to the site so you can upload the pages yourself when you finish them.

Thanks - I've replied by PM.

Ho ho ho! The Xmas Demo Recording Recommendation is posted. Have fun! BTW, both NM and NM Pacifist can be done in well under a minute using a more aggressive/reckless route than the one I describe here.

The Christmas wad is weird. =P

Anyway, I updated the site again. I added about 10 of my own demos (most are co-op, but I'm very proud of my E3M6 and MAP32 demos. I even have a new one of MAP32 Plutonia!). I have a Nightmare! of MAP01 that I can upload later on sometime. Right now I want to sit back and relax. Been busy all week. o_O

Anyway, enjoy.

http://xfury.net/doom

Nanami

Can we use zdoom for recording?, because I have a few demos I want to put up on your website... :)

Of course. You're allowed to send a demo in any format you could come up with. Legacy is just the most popular. Just make sure you specify what port it uses and what version. Also, make sure it plays back. If I recall correctly, almost all the new ZDoom versions don't play back demos right.

Otherwise, send away!

Nanami said:

The Christmas wad is weird. =P

Weird in a good way, I hope. Actually, apart from the Xmas effects, it's just a good solid megawad.

Nanami said:

If I recall correctly, almost all the new ZDoom versions don't play back demos right.

I haven't tested them, but my understanding is that 1.22 (the last non-beta release) is OK, but anything after that isn't.

Yep. It's a good weird. Interesting. Hard in some places, though. I'm not the best Doom player. I haven't yet beaten Doom 2 Ultra-Violence yet. Of course, I really don't like the original Doom 2 levels. I've beaten ALMOST all of Ultimate Doom in Ultra-Violence. All but a couple levels in E4 (I quit playing).

One thing I don't get though. MAP30. It's weird? The spawners don't spawn monsters that you'll ever run into. I guess I could understand, though. It's sending demons to the rest of the world. But you should get to fight some, eh? Also, the ending room has the weird missing texture effect. You know, how it looks like the floor (in this case, blood) overflows weirdly? The level is at least interesting. It's not the typical Icon of Sin where you shoot rockets into a brain like every other megawad has. Hopefully when I finish my Grind episode, my Sin level will be interesting.

Nanami said:

One thing I don't get though. MAP30. It's weird? The spawners don't spawn monsters that you'll ever run into.

Yes, the spawn points are all in a big ring that you can't reach. Maybe it's just there to scare you.

Nanami said:

Also, the ending room has the weird missing texture effect. You know, how it looks like the floor (in this case, blood) overflows weirdly?

It looks OK (or at least, as intended) in software mode. Neither Legacy's OpenGL nor jDoom's OpenGL or Direct3D modes could cope with it. They don't like the scrolling texture either.

I run all vanilla wads in ZDoom whenever possible. =P I don't like OpenGL ports. I run Legacy in software mode.

In that case, you're probably seeing what you are meant to see.

Or maybe you are getting some weird problem, in which case you could try "installing" the wad. I claimed this wasn't necessary for most source-port users, but I had only tested it on my own computers.

NB: If you try this, ignore the batch files, and just use
DeuSF -app h2h-xmas.wad
from the command line (with all the normal provisos about backing things up just in case something weird goes wrong). This gives you a h2h-xmas.wad with a filesize of 9,069,752 bytes.

I just checked it out in Legacy and prBoom and it looked the same both ways. I guess that's how it's supposed to look. Still, it looks a little odd to me.

I followed this thread with great pleasure and even watched some demos now and again, so I decided to put some demos of my own online, which can be found here.

Please keep in mind that multiplayer in Legacy, especially a multi-continental game, can be quite laggy and thus the fragscore isn't that accurate (the host/demorecording player (me) has the advantage)! But still nice to look at...! :D Have fun, lemme hear what you think.

Nanami said:

One thing I don't get though. MAP30. It's weird? The spawners don't spawn monsters that you'll ever run into. I guess I could understand, though. It's sending demons to the rest of the world. But you should get to fight some, eh? Also, the ending room has the weird missing texture effect. You know, how it looks like the floor (in this case, blood) overflows weirdly? The level is at least interesting. It's not the typical Icon of Sin where you shoot rockets into a brain like every other megawad has. Hopefully when I finish my Grind episode, my Sin level will be interesting.

I hope you don't steal my idea... :)
I got a okay idea for my icon of sin.

Hi all! Good to see this thread is still alive. I haven't been able to get to net for over a week now because I have no school, but I've been playing mines.wad a lot. I managed to get 3:30 UV speed demo and I'm going to send it to nanami tomorrow if I cannot make it any better. Now I'll just have to see the other demo recommendations by Grazza.

DooMer 4ever said:

Good to see this thread is still alive.

"Post your demos!". Thread, barely alive. But we can rebuild it...

DooMer 4ever said:

... I've been playing mines.wad a lot. I managed to get 3:30 UV speed demo ...

Wow, that sounds awesome. I'd deliberately made the Par and "Doomgod" time estimates a bit generous, but had no idea that 3:30 would be feasible (due to health and ammo issues).

BTW, the par time I gave in DRR#2 can be halved as well ;)