Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Red

Post your demos!

Grind2 isn't in /incoming either, so I suggest uploading it again before Saturday. (If you sent it on the 21st it should be there by now, so something must have gone wrong somewhere)

Opulent!

Here comes map 1 of iditarod in skill 4 max 100/100 using Legacy 1.4.
Time: 1:38

Nanami said:

archives.3dgamers.com/pub/incoming right?

archives.3dgamers.com/pub/idgames/incoming

Here's a pointless demo I just did of map2, done by 1.40 of legacy found here: angelfire.com/ga4/void/voidmap2.lmp

You'll have to copy/paste the address, because angelfire doesn't allow hyperlink. Also, this will be a waste of time; however, map2 is my all time favorite and maybe you want to see how I play? I dunno, whatever... I'm gonna go eat a donut now...

Opulent!

Here comes map 2 and map 3 of iditarod.wad using legacy 1.4.

Map 2, skill 4, max 100% kills, time: 3:43
Map 3, skill 4, max 100% kills, time: 4:03

Like Map 1, these two are for the 'style' listings as well as the DSDA.

Thanks,

Rich

Rich said:

(info about iditarod recordings)

They sound like good times - these aren't such easy maps to speed through (well, map01 is easy for pure speed, of course). I keep dying in my attempts to do a quick speedrun on map02 - getting both the BFG grab and the jump to the raised area with the yellow key is quite tricky.

Grazza said:

They sound like good times - these aren't such easy maps to speed through (well, map01 is easy for pure speed, of course). I keep dying in my attempts to do a quick speedrun on map02 - getting both the BFG grab and the jump to the raised area with the yellow key is quite tricky.

Grazza!

I fooled with grabbing that bfg but it's pretty tough with all those critters ripping at you. I did get it a couple of times but it didn't seem to help much overall in my time as you have only one shot so I just ignored it and killed them all with the chaingun and shotgun. I imagine if you do get the bfg and make the jump to pick up the yellow key you'll save 30 seconds or more. Good luck! :)

Grazza!

I recorded another run of map 2 and tried to jump to get the yellow key as the lift went down for the first time. I missed but I think it's maybe possible. At any rate I did manage a better time at 3:35.

Rich

DooMer 4ever said:

Heh, I only had time to play map01 of iditarod.wad and recorded two demos: Map01 UV pacifist 0:12 and NM 0:10.

A bit faster than me (UV Speed 0:10; NM 0:12; UV Pacifist 0:13), but I didn't spend much time on those runs. UV -fast Max and NM100S should be more interesting on this map.

Rich said:

I fooled with grabbing that bfg but it's pretty tough with all those critters ripping at you. ... I imagine if you do get the bfg and make the jump to pick up the yellow key you'll save 30 seconds or more. Good luck! :)

On map02 I nearly managed a pretty fast UV Speed run, but having got to the yellow key with plenty of health, I forgot that I still needed to press both switches. I've only managed the BFG grab once (though without also making the jump to the yellow key). For UV Speed the BFG doesn't matter too much. For UV Max, I imagine your estimate of a 30 second improvement is about right. I managed a UV -fast Max run (6:56) - very slow and cautious, just checking for feasibility. Health and ammo were both really tight, so I think this is an interesting category.

I'm on vacation right now, but we'll finish up those demos when I get back home. I'll be sending in a number of demos, so yay. ^_^ Oh yeah, I downloaded those other two wads that had lots of badguys like Plutonia MAP32, but both seem to have intentinoal ghost monsters, which I think is pretty dumb, so we probably won't do demos of those.

Ah, I'm pretty sure I uploaded Grind2, so if you guys actually want to do any demos of it, go ahead. =P

Nanami said:

Ah, I'm pretty sure I uploaded Grind2, so if you guys actually want to do any demos of it, go ahead. =P

Rightio, I'll do one in a bit, right now....Dinner :D
Oh ya, Have a fun vacation. ;)

I saw Dario Casali's punisher demo earlier today, and he did have to deal with a couple of ghosted Revenants at one point. Pretty amusing. He played pretty well for such an old demo. No wonder the Casali brothers eventually made Plutonia, a pioneer WAD in respect to challenging maps.

I don't like the ghosts. The only way to kill them is with rocket splash damage, and you can't really run away from them like most monsters. The first time I experienced a ghost was on, uh, the Doom2 level with two Arch-Viles. I can't remember which one. But I had an imp following me everywhere that I couldn't kill. I watched the demo of one of those that had a whole bunch of ghost Nazis. I'd probably like the levels more if they didn't have ghosts. =/

Either that, barrels, or the close quarters attacks by other monsters may kill them. Requiem's map23 (by Dario Casali coincidentially) uses Nazis as ghosts on purpose. Ghosts also have a movement limitation, if I'm not mistaken, they can walk down from any height but they can't walk up steps. Some engines (mbf, prboom) allow you to disable the bug that produces them.

Well I don't really like the ghost idea. It annoyed me when it first happened and it annoys me now. =P Especially ghost nazis. Anyway, that's just my opinion. I'm sure lots of people think it's innovative. Haven't looked, but I'm sure it's just a crusher with an Arch-Vile nearby. Maybe barrels to kill them, a door shutting and opening, and then an Arch-Vile running in. Either way...

It's pretty rare for ghosts to be implemented intentionally (rq23/hr26) and I'm glad that's the case. :)

Nanami said:

Yes you did and very cool it is too. Here's an early demo Grind2.lmp 4ya.(legacy1.40)

Nanami said:

I'll do demos of it as soon as I get home!

Grazza!

Continuing the iditarod lmp fest I managed a max kills/secrets of maps 4, 5 and 6. I want to give each a couple more tries but my times at this point are:

Map 4 7:09
Map 5 5:33
Map 6 3:08 (2nd try)

These are done using legacy 1.4.

Btw... I forgot to mention I don't use any extra features. Only the resolution! :)

I've never played these maps before but I read in the text where the author had recorded all of them and offered to send the lmps should someone ask. Of course, that was a long time ago.

Can't wait to get home so I can watch those demos. I'll record one myself so you can all see how I do it. ^_^

Rich, your Iditarod times look great - I don't think I'll be able to get close to those. I wish I had more time to spend on these maps. I've been working on routes and ideas, but haven't recorded much so far. I do intend to record a demo of some sort on each map, however.

I managed 1:42 UV Speed on Map02 (come on, someone beat that time; it shouldn't be so difficult - nomo is under a minute!) and a 10:43 UV -fast Max on Map04. The early part of that run is quite tricky with the four pain elementals. I found a reasonably safe way to deal with them (standing inside the "cage" on the spot where they would otherwise teleport in) but it still normally takes a lot of ammo due to the sheer volume of lost souls.

Anyway, it's good to hear that you (and I hope others!) are enjoying these maps. I think "Myscha" was one of the mid-1990s Doom mappers whose work was mainly distributed via the CompuServe Action Games Forum, but unlike many other such wads, this one and Odyssey did find their way into the standard archives.

Nanami: I played Grind2 - nice work. I used both Zdoom and jDoom, and had no problems with either; is it just a visual effect that doesn't work in jDoom? BTW, I wouldn't have minded a bit more heavy resistance throughout the map. Also, it is possible (since the switch can be pressed through the walls) to set off the TNT prematurely (i.e. when it doesn't blow a hole in the wall), which looks a bit odd.

Regarding maps that use the AV bug, you can add Icarus map24, Eternal map25, Wtrfront and Seej to the list. I quite like the ghost idea myself, but agree it is annoying in maps where it isn't intentional. I recently got a ghost Baron in Murderous Intent map04, which meant inevitable death given the lack of room for firing any rockets.

Grazza said:

Nanami: I played Grind2 - nice work. I used both Zdoom and jDoom, and had no problems with either; is it just a visual effect that doesn't work in jDoom? BTW, I wouldn't have minded a bit more heavy resistance throughout the map. Also, it is possible (since the switch can be pressed through the walls) to set off the TNT prematurely (i.e. when it doesn't blow a hole in the wall), which looks a bit odd.

Yes, the only jDoom error is the visual of the TNT box. I wish they hadn't changed that. Actually, while I'm on a roll, I wish Legacy wouldn't get rid of voodoo players. =/

Well, yes, that switch is hitable. I noticed that, and it's a little annoying, but hopefully people won't do it on purpose. At least, not before having done it right the first time. Best I could do though, unless I made the walls wider. But oh well. =/

Oh, and I know it's not as tough as it could be, but it's the first level in an episode I plan on making, so I couldn't make it TOO hard. =)