Icon of Sin / Baphomet
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Doom Speed Demos > Demo Problems

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 04:36. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Grimm

You ever make a demo for a .WAD you made, let it set for a while (presumably while making a few minor changes to da .WAD), and then when you tried to play back the .WAD, it didn't work? TWICE now I have had AWESOME demos destroyed because of this. Is there any way to fix this, and also, what causes it? And, has this happened to you?

Old Post 01-08-03 21:07 #
Grimm is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Naked Snake
HAHA I AM A FAG AND I CAN'T CHANGE THIS TITLE ANYMORE

IMO, replaced demos for wads are stupid. I don't watch demos so the act of the author recording a demo for their level is lost on me.

Old Post 01-08-03 21:09 #
Naked Snake is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fredrik

If the level isn't exactly the same as the one the demo was recorded with, the demo will most likely go out of synchronization. The only way to fix it is digging up the right version of the level or recording a new demo.

Old Post 01-08-03 21:13 #
Fredrik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
scorpion

I don't really know the technical stuff about it, but I do know that when you record a demo in your pwad, let's say with lots of monsters and stuff, and you start editing your wad after that (even if just a little bit, let's say any change that requires a nodes rebuilt), the monsters will most likely act differently in the demo playback than when recorded, resulting in a 'screwed up' demo.

I am user #666 on this board. Fear me.

telnet://scorp.us.to

Old Post 01-08-03 21:23 #
scorpion is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

If you rebuilt the nodes the demo will certainly desynch, always. If you add a thing to the map it will also probably desynch, if that thing alters the behavior of any things active during the demo (moving a decoration that now gets in the way of a monster or the player, or changing or adding a monster that alters the outcome of the action.)

* myk slaps BBG around a bit with a DEMO1 lump

Old Post 01-08-03 21:34 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
magikal
May he rest in peace

myk said:

* myk slaps BBG around a bit with a DEMO1 lump

Heh. Yep you really gotta keep the exact wad you recorded it with otherwise you're asking for trouble, I know from experience. I've got some great demos of earlier version wads.;)

Old Post 01-08-03 22:56 #
magikal is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nanami
not a woman

Yep. What myk said. Rebuliding the nodes or adding things that may alter the game, whether it's an imp or a box of ammo (it could cause you to have ammo when you didn't previously, therefore not changing weapons, and not using the right weapon, and then you == teh dead).

I got this problem a lot. First there was Grind2, and there were a bunch of demos for that. When I released Grind2X, I also got a lot more demos, along with some comments on health placement. I moved the health around, but never released that version. I got asked why a few times, and my reply was "I didn't want all those great demos to go to waste because of such a minor change." Gotta give something up in order to gain sometimes. Ah well.

Anyway, there will be ANOTHER version of Grind2 in my final episode (if I ever figure out WTF to do for level 3), so make way for MORE demos. =P

Old Post 01-09-03 00:27 #
Nanami is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote