Doom monster
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Doom Speed Demos > Doom2.exe demos
How do you watch "vanilla" demos?
The original exes (Doom2.exe or Doom.exe)
PrBoom (or GLBoom)
Zdoom or Legacy - the player always punches walls and dies lolz0rz! These guys suck!!
I never watch demos.
View Results [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 05:59. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Grazza
=/-

How do you watch Doom2.exe demos: with the original exes or using PrBoom?

Old Post 05-14-03 03:48 #
Grazza is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Draconio
Ack! Ack! Ack!

I don't usually watch demos. I'm here to play, not watch.

On the occasions that I have felt like watching a demo, I've used a PrBoom. But if I were to really get into demo watching, I'd probably try to get the original .exe's working. (I have WinXP)

Old Post 05-14-03 04:15 #
Draconio is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Opulent

doom2.exe -- I always want to see the demo how they really are... unfortunately, I cannot do that with Quake anymore.
some demos are worth re-watching with Prboom though... especially dm demos or sp demos with big action.

Old Post 05-14-03 04:23 #
Opulent is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Danarchy
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

Um...I view all my demos on Eternity because it can synch any demo up to the engine. Or something. All I know is that it works.

Old Post 05-14-03 05:59 #
Danarchy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Grogglogobofink
BAN EVASION IS BAD FOR ME

i use eternity as well

Old Post 05-14-03 09:12 #
Grogglogobofink is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ichor
The Mysterious Red Square

I don't watch demos, and I almost never make any.

Old Post 05-14-03 11:31 #
Ichor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DooMBoy
Heh
(but Stupidity still cannot be concealed)

Ichor: you're no fun :P

I myself like recording, and watching demos, with the original exe, for any game (Doom(2), Plutonia, TNT, Heretic, or Hexen).

Old Post 05-14-03 14:07 #
DooMBoy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ichor
The Mysterious Red Square

Well, I have made demos before to include in some of my old wadfiles, but other than that, I don't much of a need for making demos.

Old Post 05-14-03 14:47 #
Ichor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DooMBoy
Heh
(but Stupidity still cannot be concealed)

I love recording demos. Just a few minutes ago, for fun and profit, I did a Heretic E2M2 Nightmare demo. It was close to a minute, I'm sure.

Old Post 05-14-03 14:58 #
DooMBoy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Torn
google is your master

doom2.exe of couse, but prboom is also nice (for dm demos it is more great than doom2.exe cause of the features).

Heh, I am a sucky speedrunner.

Old Post 05-14-03 16:43 #
Torn is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Danarchy
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

Ichor said:
Well, I have made demos before to include in some of my old wadfiles, but other than that, I don't much of a need for making demos.

Yeah. Demos are pretty lame. Not really much use for them. I did enjoy watching that one speedrun done by Erik Alm on one of my speedmaps though. It was cool.

Old Post 05-14-03 19:00 #
Danarchy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

I use doom. Actually, it even has a small advantage; you can go to the desktop and in the meantime the demo stops... if you do that with prboom is plays on while you're doing whatever.

Torn said:
doom2.exe of couse, but prboom is also nice (for dm demos it is more great than doom2.exe cause of the features).

I think it's better for single player than multi-player because on multi-player you can hear 3rd-person pick up sounds... a feature that first appeared in boom. So, you're not hearing what the players were hearing when they recorded (unless they actually used prboom to record.)

The only really attractive feature prboom might have is that it shows the proper skies when playing back a long movie. The ability to fully change player view is fine, but I'd rather watch the demo from all perspectives than hop from player to player.

Last edited by myk on 05-14-03 at 20:36

Old Post 05-14-03 20:29 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Grazza
=/-

myk said:
I use doom. Actually, it even has a small advantage; you can go to the desktop and in the meantime the demo stops... if you do that with prboom is plays on while you're doing whatever.
You can pause demo playback in PrBoom (by pressing the Pause button).

Old Post 05-14-03 22:23 #
Grazza is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
=MACVILE \/\/HORE=
Banned

Demos are fucking boring

[bbg]Senator Tom Daschle[/bbg]

Listen to more death metal

June 10th, St. Anger motherfucks

Old Post 05-14-03 22:38 #
=MACVILE \/\/HORE= is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

Grazza said:
You can pause demo playback in PrBoom (by pressing the Pause button).

Hmm... cool, I hadn't noticed that. I had forgotten that with mus_pause_opt set to 2 (required if you use timidity) pause is remapped, so each time I pressed the Pause key nothing happened...

Old Post 05-14-03 22:54 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
999cop
Constrained Owing to Lot

Despite the fact that I play on Zdaemon only for Doom online gaming, however only doom2.exe demos are worth to watch.

Old Post 05-14-03 23:00 #
999cop is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote