Icon of Sin / Baphomet
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Doom Speed Demos > Is there any way you can view demos (LMPs) in Win Media Player or RealPlayer?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 12:33. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
mlin
Green Marine

^topic. thanks in advance

Old Post 07-01-03 00:53 #
mlin is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Cyb

no

demos only record player movement and actions, when you watch an lmp it's actually being done in real time in the game (as is the case, if the player does the same exact thing the enviornment reacts the same exact way), rather than taking a bunch of screenshots and slapping them in a file (which is what you want essentially).

Old Post 07-01-03 00:57 #
Cyb is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ichor
The Mysterious Red Square

Wasn't there a way to convert demos into .avis (without sound)?

Old Post 07-01-03 01:04 #
Ichor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Vile
The man made of sticks

Indeed, lmp2avi or something, but along with not having sound the picture quality is awful. I wouldn't mind being able to convert many doom marathon runs to qualities seen in some machinima films or frag movies you might find at ESreality. It might be a nice way to entertain a larger crowd.

Old Post 07-01-03 01:47 #
Vile is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ixfd64

Cyb said:
no

demos only record player movement and actions, when you watch an lmp it's actually being done in real time in the game (as is the case, if the player does the same exact thing the enviornment reacts the same exact way), rather than taking a bunch of screenshots and slapping them in a file (which is what you want essentially).

Exactly what I was going to say.

A solution is to use a program to record actions on the computer's screen, but no doubt it will take up a lot of memory and resources.

KrazyKain (YouTube) said:
... when some idiot says "my computer is hardcore it runs Crysis AT MAX SETTINGS...."
ask him.. oh? does it run Nuts wad at max settings?

Old Post 07-01-03 17:22 #
ixfd64 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
jute
My avatar grips his belt rather tightly.

Vile said:
Indeed, lmp2avi or something, but along with not having sound the picture quality is awful. I wouldn't mind being able to convert many doom marathon runs to qualities seen in some machinima films or frag movies you might find at ESreality. It might be a nice way to entertain a larger crowd.

what is this esreality you speak of?

Old Post 07-01-03 19:36 #
jute is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Amaster
Artificial Mechanical Android Skilled in Troubleshooting and Efficient Repair

You should be able to pull this off using a source port and a screencapture program that does .avi. You wont get any sound though.

Old Post 07-01-03 20:13 #
Amaster is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gokuma
picnic bench lord

Why not use a sound recording program while playing the demo? Or would that blow up a computer?

Old Post 07-02-03 02:35 #
Gokuma is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Opulent

the trick is to WRITE a program that dumps screenshots at normal intervals. fraps and similar are made to capture like every 1/5 second or something. Prboom, for example, uses 1/7ths of seconds I think, but then how do you smoothly RATE these back into normal time to sync with the sound?
I'm certainly no expert, but it was a hill I wasn't willing to continue to climb...
and capturing sound from a windows DOOM port is easy.

Old Post 07-02-03 03:07 #
Opulent is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nanami
not a woman

Cyb said:

I was going to come here and sound smart, but someone always beats me to it.

Anyway, yeah, what Cyb said. I wish a lot more games could record demos this way. I got a screencapture program and recorded a demo of me playing Mario Lost Levels 5-4 and it was about 75 megs uncompressed even if it was only about 20 seconds. I did finally get it down to 3 megs, but still, a Doom demo can usually be done a lot smaller. I think the default is 128K

Old Post 07-02-03 03:41 #
Nanami is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BlackFish
Forum Spammer

pregnant with worms said:

what is this esreality you speak of?

ESReality is a place where demos are stored for multiple games. So does Challenge Tv.

http://www.esreality.com
http://www.challenge-tv.com

Old Post 07-02-03 04:02 #
BlackFish is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Linguica

I honestly dont understand why its so hard for a source port to do this. Just code in parameters to dump out every frame in a demo, if not just making an AVI out of it. Add another parameter to dump out a WAV of the sound. Then you could combine the two together. WTF is the problem, really.

Old Post 07-02-03 05:17 #
Linguica is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lüt
Administrator

ixfd64 said:
A solution is to use a program to record actions on the computer's screen, but no doubt it will take up a lot of memory and resources.
Not really, I have an old proggy Dash coded that can render demos to AVIs. I used it a few times thinking I could put together a promo video for something, but alas, no good video editing software exists.

Old Post 07-02-03 05:19 #
Lüt is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fodders
OWNS YOU

Run the LMP with a video camera pointed at screen :P

You are my opponent, but not my enemy, for your resistance gives me strength. Your will gives me courage. Your spirit ennobles me. And, although I aim to defeat you, should I succeed, I will not humiliate you, instead I will honour you..For without you, I am a lesser man.

Old Post 07-02-03 13:31 #
fodders is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
gemini09

Haha, only way to go, Fodder :D

Old Post 07-03-03 11:45 #
gemini09 is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote