Baron of Hell
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Doom Speed Demos > need a port toplay demos

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:09. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
D-clone
Green Marine

Hi
I have my old doom.wad. But I need a port to play demos I wanna see, like spedruns, etc
Zdoom wont do it, neither will doomsday
any ideas?

Old Post 08-20-03 22:43 #
D-clone is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
NiGHTMARE
Forum Legend

Err, the original .exe? :) Failing that, try PRBoom.

Paradox: The gateways have re-opened. But this time it isn't hellspawn who've come through...

Old Post 08-20-03 22:53 #
NiGHTMARE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Draconio
Ack! Ack! Ack!

PrBoom should do the trick. It's compatible with most Doom.exe and Doom2.exe demos.

Old Post 08-20-03 22:53 #
Draconio is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Grazza
Let's try Caesium

Prboom, GLBoom and Eternity are the ones to try.

Prboom and GLBoom are the same basic program, but with a different renderer; I find the GL version is more stable.

Eternity has some really nice features for watching demos: chasecam and walkcam, which enables you to see what was happening (e.g. infights) in other parts of the map while the player was elsewhere.

Most demos come with a text-file, which should state which program was used to record them, and therefore what you can use to watch them.

Old Post 08-20-03 23:01 #
Grazza is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
D-clone
Green Marine

prboom was great!
Although there were some weird sync probs with eternity
thx again!

Old Post 08-20-03 23:41 #
D-clone is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Grazza
Let's try Caesium

I've found Eternity v3.31 beta 3 to be pretty reliable, though I think it is true that its demo compatibility isn't quite as good as prboom. Anyway, the main thing is that you've found one that works for you.

Old Post 08-20-03 23:47 #
Grazza is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
sargebaldy
not arioch

actually i think eternity's demo support is a touch better.

Old Post 08-22-03 11:00 #
sargebaldy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Grazza
Let's try Caesium

How many demos have you watched in each? And, not including STRAIN and Hacx demos, which ones play back OK in Eternity but not with Prboom?

Old Post 08-22-03 11:50 #
sargebaldy
not arioch

heh ok i'm no experienced expert. i just know that cph and quas keep in good touch and whenever a demo doesn't sync they tell each other about it in order to fix it in their ports. since cph has been pretty inactive about updating prboom i think quas has upped demo-syncing in eternity to a level above prboom.

Old Post 08-22-03 11:56 #
sargebaldy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Grazza
Let's try Caesium

They're both impressive for sure, but Eternity 3.29 was certainly less reliable than prboom 2.2.3. Eternity 3.31 beta 3 is significantly improved; that is clear from what I have seen so far. Still, there are so few compet-n demos that don't work with prboom that I was just interested if you knew of any of the ones where it failed that now work with Eternity. I'll test a few when I've got a spare moment or two.

EDIT: Just tested a couple of quick ones. N4M1-035 does play back OK in ee3.31b3 (that one also works in the CVS version of Prboom), but HR18-348 does not.

Last edited by Grazza on 08-22-03 at 12:28

Old Post 08-22-03 12:05 #