Weird impy thing
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Doom Speed Demos > EAXT map01 UV

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 03:39. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Vile
The man made of sticks

From the text(it's easier to do this):

"Second exit and rough around the edges, recording in PrBoom was strange and I didn't feel like myself.. no matter, hope you enjoy the run. I remember finishing the level once in beta-testing, some new areas have been added since then like the soulsphere secret with the barons/PEs and the new ending (it originally ended in the cage after the red key door). I think that was all that changed, aside from the little things.

Map02 UV is probably beyond me, after looking at it. Oh well, Rich already has it covered with a quality skill 3 run!"

Attachment: eaxt1-uv.zip
This has been downloaded 37 time(s).

Old Post 11-22-03 06:09 #
Vile is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Angus Thermopyle

Wow! Great demo.
I was a bit sad about your retreat from Compet-N, but now I'm happy that there's a life after it :)
Can't await your next demos.

Old Post 11-22-03 08:28 #
Angus Thermopyle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Grazza
=/-

That was fantastic. You don't seem to be very scared of cybers. :)

It's also good to see that you haven't given up on prboom after those weird desync problems you were having. I don't know if you noticed the discussion in another thread, but the main suspicion revolved around crushers, possibly combined with changing weapons during a teleport.

Old Post 11-22-03 09:12 #
Grazza is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Erik

hehe, very nice run Vile.

I have also recorded a map01 max, much slower of course =) I'll post it here anyway.

Attachment: xt011900.zip
This has been downloaded 16 time(s).

Old Post 11-22-03 10:51 #
Erik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
sargebaldy
not arioch

Very nice :) Have you ever been hit by a cyb before? :P What's the strategy behind that punching in the air thing anyway? Rile up monsters or something?

Old Post 11-22-03 11:13 #
sargebaldy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kristian Ronge

Very exciting demo! Great work! (Now I can stop trying to record a max-run on skill 3...) ;-D

Old Post 11-22-03 15:00 #
Kristian Ronge is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Rich

Now that was a great demo!!

The apparent ease in which you move around is very deceiving as I know it is quite difficult - at least it is for me. :) Great stuff!

Vile said:

Map02 UV is probably beyond me, after looking at it. Oh well, Rich already has it covered with a quality skill 3 run!"

Thank you for saying that but please don't hesitate doing a skill 3 demo yourself. I know I would enjoy seeing it and I'm sure others feel the same. I'll be looking for it. :)

Old Post 11-22-03 15:25 #
Rich is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Vile
The man made of sticks

sargebaldy said:
Very nice :) Have you ever been hit by a cyb before? :P What's the strategy behind that punching in the air thing anyway? Rile up monsters or something?

At the start it was to wake up monsters that teleport in near the start, at the soulsphere secret it was out of boredom, waiting for the infights to commence.

About the other question, getting hit by a cyber is the death sentence on that map, it's tough to recover because I already used all the armors and soulspheres. :)

Last edited by Vile on 11-22-03 at 16:59

Old Post 11-22-03 16:53 #
Vile is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Torn
google is your master

Wow, what a great demo, vile. :)
Also a few areas I don't remember, but also long time since I played the beta (in summer).
I never thought there would be a uv demo fot this map.

Old Post 11-22-03 17:35 #
Torn is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
cycloid
Forum Regular

@ vile: that's one of the greatest things i've ever seen

Old Post 11-23-03 00:46 #
cycloid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Vile
The man made of sticks

Rich said:
Thank you for saying that but please don't hesitate doing a skill 3 demo yourself. I know I would enjoy seeing it and I'm sure others feel the same. I'll be looking for it. :)

Thanks for the kind word but I seem to be having trouble with this level. I can't seem to get a true maxkill on this map because of missed monsters. I played back one of the runs I had with iddtiddt on and noticed one of the monsters in the last teleports never woke up, so it wasn't possible to get him. It was in the bottommost teleporter in the blue key area.

I think I had the same problem in testing and suggested to redesign the teleports, but I can't remember how they used to look so I dunno if they were changed.

Old Post 11-24-03 18:40 #
Grazza
=/-

Vile said:
I played back one of the runs I had with iddtiddt on
It may or may not help in this case, but you could watch it in Eternity (it plays back most Doom2.exe-compatible demos OK) and use the walkcam - that often gives a better view of how the monsters are behaving, and why some get stuck, etc.

Old Post 11-24-03 19:11 #
Grazza is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Vile
The man made of sticks

Nah it's definitely something else. Load up the map, turn on iddtiddt so you see all the monsters, move the map to the lower right area with the collection of monster teleports, and fire. The same monster will not wake up in the original exe or in PrBoom.

I guess I'll leave that monster there and kill all the others.

Old Post 11-24-03 19:23 #
Rich

Vile said:
Nah it's definitely something else. Load up the map, turn on iddtiddt so you see all the monsters, move the map to the lower right area with the collection of monster teleports, and fire. The same monster will not wake up in the original exe or in PrBoom.

I guess I'll leave that monster there and kill all the others.

If you look at my text file for skill 3 of this map you'll see I did find the true max to be 98%. There are two sargeants stuck together in the farmost cache and it looks like one stationary monster.

Old Post 11-24-03 20:15 #
Rich is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote