Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OnyxStar

HR2 TAS Movie

VinceDSS said:

in map05 : I wonder if it's possible to AJ to the blue key. (I might be wrong, just from memory, I'll check it tonight)

I knew that it probably. I have rerecord the end of 4-th level to have more then 84 % of health (it was equal 84:)). Has made a jump to the blue key and ... ooops ... has understood that I fall in a lava :(( Four hours spent all for nothing :)

so um thanks for the help guys, but I'm curious how to use this thing. I'll probably make a simple demo without strafe50 first before I work on that requiem speed movie.

hey Jim,

I wonder if it's possible to use this TAS prBoom in coop.
Would be cool to make some pixel perfect coop demos with neat
tricks :)

Or even record a Doom2 Done TAS Coop :)

I've just been playing around with Andrey's exe a bit. It's got some really nice features for watching demos too. Notable features are speed up/slow down playback (at the press of a button during playback), and warp to a level of a multi-level demo.

Nice. All we need now is OnyxStar's walkcam to be added into it, and for it to be made so the automated strafe-50 gives only legal gametics, and it will be absolutely fantastic. :)

Grazza said:

I've just been playing around with Andrey's exe a bit. It's got some really nice features for watching demos too. Notable features are speed up/slow down playback (at the press of a button during playback), and warp to a level of a multi-level demo.

Nice. All we need now is OnyxStar's walkcam to be added into it, and for it to be made so the automated strafe-50 gives only legal gametics, and it will be absolutely fantastic. :)

and a "X alive monsters" counter too !!!! :-)

VinceDSS said:

and a "X alive monsters" counter too !!!! :-)

Yes! (Forgot to mention that.) And the option to turn off the "secret area" message (at least, I don't see a way to do that).

xit-vono said:

ok I figured out the strafe50 and slo-mo options. So how do I continue from a point in a demo?

I haven't figured that out either. I press the key that as far as I can tell should do that (Alt by default), but nothing happens.

xit-vono said:

ok I figured out the strafe50 and slo-mo options. So how do I continue from a point in a demo?

On Monday or Tuesday I shall put the full version of my prboom on my site

andrey, prboom is GPL code. By releasing your version of it as a compiled executable but not releasing the source code, you're violating cph's and id's copyright. Please rectify this by uploading the source code to your site and adding a copy of the GPL to the archive, or posting it on your site, or doing something to indicate that the software is GPL.

or, of course, just pull all released versions so you don't have to make your source public.

the above applies also to onyxstar. there's the considerable bonus, of course, that releasing the source code would let those of us who don't run bloody windows use the modified versions...

Opulent said:

or, of course, just pull all released versions so you don't have to make your source public.

of course that only applies to "released" versions, one could argue their interpretation of "released" to mean "when it gets to version 1.0" . which is all fair in my book as, aside from bugs that other people may spot, it's not neccesarily pleasant to be working on something and suddenly have someone else stomp all over your ideas/feature set before you've sorted it yourself, especially if part of the reason you're modyfying said source is part of a learning process. i.e. if i decide to make a mini version of mozilla firefox called "minifox" and publisise all my ideas, then release the 0.01 version of the source some smartypants might introduce all my features (no profiles, "no install", no passport/wallet/form shenanigans, no skinning) before i even get chance to do it myself! geddit?

If you don't want others to tamper with your source, then either 1) don't release anything at all or 2) only work with code licensed to allow sourceless redistribution.

cycloid said:

of course that only applies to "released" versions, one could argue their interpretation of "released" to mean "when it gets to version 1.0" . which is all fair in my book as, aside from bugs that other people may spot, it's not neccesarily pleasant to be working on something and suddenly have someone else stomp all over your ideas/feature set before you've sorted it yourself, especially if part of the reason you're modyfying said source is part of a learning process. i.e. if i decide to make a mini version of mozilla firefox called "minifox" and publisise all my ideas, then release the 0.01 version of the source some smartypants might introduce all my features (no profiles, "no install", no passport/wallet/form shenanigans, no skinning) before i even get chance to do it myself! geddit?

Tough. Released means released - you don't have a choice there.

AdamW: OnyxStar released the source code for his walkcam version. The filename was walk_prsrc.zip. I imagine the failure to release the source code for his TAS version was just an oversight and would be rectified upon request.

It isn't strictly necessary to release the source in order to comply with the GNU license; a pledge to provide it on request is sufficient. But you're right that Andrey's current distribution lacks such a statement, and fails to comply with the terms of the GNU license.

cycloid: I haven't read the GNU license in its entirety, but can you point to any clause in it that mentions any exceptions for preliminary/alpha versions?

Yeah, too late now; the monstrosity has been created and released to the public.

Nonetheless, there is nothing forcing the author to place a link to it on his site. It might not be a bad idea to be careful distributing it... especially if the author wants that. He can resort to giving it by e-mail to those who ask for it, or a similar means. Nothing stops said people from releasing it as they wish, but you can't force the author to add links on his site or something like that.

Hah, Grazza... simultaneous posting!

Grazza said:

cycloid: I haven't read the GNU license in its entirety, but can you point to any clause in it that mentions any exceptions for preliminary/alpha versions?

There is no such clause in the GNU GPL.

Well now, this is a work of art I say. Such a display of skill and of course pure luck is definately entertaining. I found myself letting my jaw drop at some of your "near deaths" like running around with 4% health using a rocket launcher for 30 seconds! If ever I could Doom that well, DTCA would be 10x or more harder.

i find it pretty much unwatchable due to the horrid jerky looking turning which is caused by recording with extreme slo-mo and not compensating for it...

AdamW said:

i find it pretty much unwatchable due to the horrid jerky looking turning which is caused by recording with extreme slo-mo and not compensating for it...

Same here.

cyber-menace: um, you do know what TAS means, right? there's no such thing as luck in a TAS demo...and not much skill, certainly just running around and not dying isn't hard in TAS at all.

cyber-menace said:

Well now, this is a work of art I say. Such a display of skill and of course pure luck is definately entertaining. I found myself letting my jaw drop at some of your "near deaths" like running around with 4% health using a rocket launcher for 30 seconds! If ever I could Doom that well, DTCA would be 10x or more harder.

luck? skill? near death?

dude, its a TAS (cheated, assisted) run. The guy have about as much of a chanse fucking up as Steven Seagal in your average action flick.

cyber-menace said:

Ever heard of sarcasm?

If you genuinely intended it as a sarcastic comment (which I don't believe), then it is pretty insulting to OnyxStar, who put a lot of work into this demo for our entertainment. While a TAS demo such as this is not a demonstration of true Dooming skills, it is not exactly a trivial undertaking either.

Please think before you post.

I thought of it more as a comment to TAS movies. Sure they can be interesting on occasion, but it produces what one might call "False Action" because you know the person won't die no matter what. I didn't mean to insult OnyxStar at all.

Generally when you watch a demo of someone completing a level, you know they won't die no matter what anyway.