Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Golden Cybers

Please note that the nomination stage of the Golder Cybers 2003 ends on April 23.

The Golden Cybers are an important event for the Doom demos community, and the more people participate in both the nominations and the voting, the better this contest will be.

As of yesterday, Adam had 9 votes total. Last year, first phase nominations totaled 24, while the second phase had over 70 (rather surprising).

It may last until deadline, but I'm working on it. There are some very hard choices to make. At least I have my 5 movies selected (incl. 0711nm01, 30uv2609, 30nm5253 - these three also nominated for best demo).

I'll be voting eventually, gone through about ninety percent of it so far.

PS: Thanks Angus :)

I already sent my nominations during last week.

I didnt nominate much pwads... except some extremly good demos and tricks. Maybe that's a mistake, but I usually find the PWads demos less optimized than the IWads.

I've chosen most of mine (the full allowance in each category), apart from the coop demos. For some reason the file-names for coop demos don't stick in my mind, so I'm going to have to rewatch many of them.

I hope Adam will have enough votes for the nominations... It seems many people are too lazy for this time consuming selection and they just wait for the 2nd round. Shame on them.

VinceDSS said:

I hope Adam will have enough votes for the nominations... It seems many people are too lazy for this time consuming selection and they just wait for the 2nd round. Shame on them.

He said that he had 19 nominations with half a day still to go, so he should have plenty. I think it's fair enough for people who don't watch all that many compet-n demos to come in just for the second round of voting.

VinceDSS said:

It takes plenty of time just to watch the demos let alone decide which doesn't deserve to get in.

Yes indeed. It's not hard, though, for someone like Grazza or myself who looks in /incoming almost every day (right?) ... Heheh. :-)

Good nominations, everyone! Only a few demos I nominated didn't get chosen.

Heh, you only look once a day!? :p

Actually, I found the nomination stage really difficult, and I expect the final voting will be equally difficult. I mean, in most categories I'd start with a list of "obvious candidates" and then just for the sake of fairness rewatch some of the ones whose filenames didn't mean so much to me. Invariably my nice neat shortlists would start to get longer and messier...

Done voting :)

Annoying to see vile's e2m1-125 missing and my lv06-222 making it in. The latter was a 20 min job, viles e2m1 maxer is hard worked to near perfection. That just dosn't make sense..and stuff.

yeah, that's right Andy... some great demos did not make it at all... instead we got some so-so demos (very few tho).

/me thinks that there might be a CZ conspiracy on some of these demos nominations :)

I was very sad not to see Ryback's 30nm at least once...

btw, I voted too

Some of the weird nominations didn't bother me much (like Andy's lv06; he said it was a 20 minute job, and his AV pack was much better, IMO), though reading the choices in the now closed thread, it does. I strongly disagreed with over half of them, and I feel like I have no clue what people really look for in demos now. Maybe it's some difference coming from the spectators and the players, or something.

VinceDSS said:

I was very sad not to see Ryback's 30nm at least once...

Don't care. Radek's 30nm didn't get nominated either, which was more surprising. But they're both second place compared to 30nm3413...

Vile said:

Some of the weird nominations didn't bother me much (like Andy's lv06; he said it was a 20 minute job, and his AV pack was much better, IMO), though reading the choices in the now closed thread, it does. I strongly disagreed with over half of them, and I feel like I have no clue what people really look for in demos now. Maybe it's some difference coming from the spectators and the players, or something.

Unless you have done a fair deal of compet-n stuff yourselfe, you won't have a good foundation to judge the nominated runs. Naturally alot of voters won't pick up on subtle stuff that put them apart (hence why some would vote e2m2-316 before lv11-205 in the max cat or e2m7-017 before lv10-025 in speed, demos that are hardly comperable if you know what to look for). At least this contributes a bit of excitement around the final results since there are no selfsaid winners :)

Vile said:

it may have taken only 20 mins to get done but would you have thought of it? i certainly wouldnt have added up the "a + b + c + d = fast exit" required to beat the existing record for speed by 40 seconds! which is surely why it rocks!

If you're talking about lv06-222, then it beat the previous record by 18 seconds, not 40. I don't think it involved any new tricks, so I don't understand your "thought of" comment.

Clearly it's a good demo - of course it is; it's by Andy and it's a current compet-n Max record on a by no means neglected map. However, Andy obviously feels it isn't outstanding by his stratospheric standards.

Personally, I was surprised and disappointed that none of Andy's AV maxes made it to the shortlist - some of them were true works of art. In fact, there are very few pwad demos generally in the shortlist.

Vile: just curious, but when you say you "strongly disagreed with over half of them", were you referring to the nominees or Schneelocke's choices?

BTW, I still don't think it's a good idea to have too much discussion of the relative merits of the nominees here, as this could easily end up skewing the voting. Talking about great demos that missed the boat seems harmless though.

Grazza said:

Vile: just curious, but when you say you "strongly disagreed with over half of them", were you referring to the nominees or Schneelocke's choices?

Schneelocke's choices, some of them didn't make any sense to me at all, but it must be the kinda thing andy was talking about. One example: technical merit going to a UV SPEEDRUN. Technical merit is a measure of the difficulty of a run. Is it really that difficult to finish lv10 on UV speed, even with a glide trick?

EDIT: Oh well, I'm not gonna try to entice a huge discussion over it, it's his opinions and he's certainly entitled to them. I just want to know what people look for when they evaluate demos. For me and other Compet-N regulars, the process must be different, so it fascinates me somewhat. As Andy said though, it makes it more interesting, at least. :)

I finally voted for the damn thing now. :-)

I agree with some of the things people have said... Ryback's 30nm is a tremendous effort and deserved a nomination (in best movie, or technical merit, considering keyboard playing...).

Hm. If someone knows how to configure Miranda IM to work with IRC then it would be possible for me to join the ceremony.

Kristian Ronge said:
Ryback's 30nm is a tremendous effort and deserved a nomination (in best movie, or technical merit, considering keyboard playing...).

True enough, especially here; COMPET-N itself gives records to the demos that meet the best times, while the Cybers are all about achievements in a more broad sense.