Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

I'm seeing the same thing (tried to replay it in PrBoom+, if that matters).

Looking at the wad in Doom Builder, the only exit is far away from the entrance. Wrong wad, perhaps ?

Nice run TGH, it feels pretty well optimised except for a few seconds of double-checking at the end. Glad to see you had much better luck with the berserk this time.

I notice you duck into the blue armor secret twice, thought had triggered it the first time. If you feel like recording in PrB+, it now goes "boong" when you get a secret :)

Most notably you got that bullshit difficult secret at the start first go. Man I must have spent 20 minutes trying to figure that one out on my first Under Neith play. And still didn't get it :/

Super Jamie said:

If you feel like recording in PrB+, it now goes "boong" when you get a secret

This is purely optional (Options -> Setup -> Status bar/HUD -> Secret areas). I personally like to have it turned off, considering it a little unfair advantage in speedruns and an annoyance during normal play.

Super Jamie said:

Nice run TGH, it feels pretty well optimised except for a few seconds of double-checking at the end.

Trust me, if Doom had a monster counter on the HUD, I wouldn't have had to do that. :(

Super Jamie said:

I notice you duck into the blue armor secret twice, thought had triggered it the first time. If you feel like recording in PrB+, it now goes "boong" when you get a secret :)

Well, at that time, I didn't think I triggered it the first time, so I ducked back in just to make sure. Naturally, doom.exe (Plus or regular) gives no such "boong" when you get a secret. :p

Anyway, here's another Fiffy demo, but it's on a level I've previously played. Remember all those trick jumps I did in my max demo for Total War III? Here, you get to see how some of them can be used to beat the level in less than a third of my UV max time. Check it out!

WAR3-229.ZIP - UV speed on REoL TOUGH: TOTAL WAR III: Land of Weirdness (WAR3.WAD) by George Fiffy in 2:29

I'll have to watch that Under Neith demo. I just played it for the first time in a long while, and I definitely agree that although it has some terrific detailing it can be horrendously boring and way too confusing. I had trouble remembering how to finish the damn thing.

But you're wrong that I tested that secret in ZDoom (I test in Eternity), let alone used Hexen's jump to make it work. (Although at this point I can't even remember how to access that secret at all.) And I don't see what's wrong with the teleport at the end, I find it's more challenging to have spectres beaming in randomly during a cyberdemon battle, rather than simply having them all come in at exactly the same time. It keeps the player watchful and nervous. And sure, annoys the crap out of maxrunners, but I really didn't have that in mind when I made the map.

Vilecore
UV Max
Map 22 in 5:36

Oh yeah, also disregard a txt I made that also happens to be in the same zip, sadly.

@Andy Olivera: please read PM

I recorded 9 demos for the WADs which appeared in the underdog thread. I divided them into two zip files.

Here are UV Max demos for:

Justify, a splendid 1995 map which looks good and plays well even today. Time: 8:54
ZAP 18 Paradox Lost by Andy Badorek with normal (i.e.high) quality for this mapper. Time: 8:50
Finally, I decided to beat someone else's time, so there's also
ZAP28, also by Andy Badorek. I succeeded, only if marginally (11:53 compared to 12:14 by Albert Valls).

underdg1.zip

And the second portion - 6 demos for City of Doom. These are some of the best maps I've played in my life.
UV Maxes for maps 01-05, UV Speed for map 02 (The longest is UV Max for MAP02 - 22 minutes, 1st exit unfortunately, please read the txt).

codlmp1.zip

kinda close failed run of shai'tan's luck (sl.wad) map 28 with close calls. The later parts are slower because I didn't really memorize the whole thing but rather repeatedly restarted from the beginning. Almost a half an hour.

sl-28-closefail-cl9-ggg.zip

A friend of mine is playing Doom 2 for the first time and got stuck finding the Blue Key on MAP15. He asked me to help find it for him, which I did, then I thought it'd be fun to try speedrun.

A few (ok maybe like 30) demos later, I'd gotten my time down to a decent number. At first I tried running via the Blue Armor and radsuit, however I soon realised that was pointless and adding a minute to my time.

I could have shot a little straighter in points and waste time at the switch down the bottom. I then amusingly find a Pain Elemental blocking the way up top. However he may have been more help than hindrance, as everyone behind him was dead by the time I got through.

I hit the key at 1:08. I'm confident sub-1:00 is possible but I'd have to either try for a million years or TAS it.

map15-bluekey-108.zip

Revved said:

Demonfear
UV Max
Episode 1 in 20:01

this was really neat and entertaining until that silly teleporter. what a shame. the second half might need some better weapon management imo. :)

Hey, Kristian, nice to see you active again!

Revved said:
Ok, I totally screwed that one demo up, but to make up for it, I got Demonfear UV Max Episode 2 in 21:49!

Good runs. This one doesn't use dfearfix.wad, which makes it PrBoom+ specific. The third episode does use the fix WAD, although it doesn't say so in the text file (I got confused there a bit trying to play it back.)

Actually, it's possible to play a demo relying on PrBoom+'s on-the-fly REJECT padding while using Doom2 or Chocolate Doom, but it's kind of complicated:

• Get the length of the padded lump either by playing the level in PrBoom+ with REJECT emulation detection enabled, where you check for the size in stdout.txt, or by creating a 0-filled REJECT lump for the level with ZenNode (-rz).
  • Extract the corrupt REJECT lump, open it with frhed or any hex editor with an equivalent append feature, and add the difference in bytes between the corrupt lump and the longer full-size lump.
  • In a copy of the WAD, replace the corrupt lump with the padded one.
The attachment contains the map 18 and 20 REJECT lumps I used to play it back in Doom2, for curiosity's sake. The method outlined above is also recommended for fixing any levels with short REJECT lumps, as it will make using the fixed WAD the equivalent of using PrBoom+'s automatic padding feature.

Good luck with your full movie!

dfreject.zip

Drown in Blood map27 max no deaths 63:51 (ZDoom 2.2.0)

2 unkillable cybers

edit: btw, there's a dehacked in this wad that makes the imps and demons faster, but that's a mistake - they're just supposed to have normal speed. I didn't notice it until today when I tried playing the wad with the new ZDoom (that's why I used ZDoom 2.2.0, because it doesn't recognize the dehacked monsters).

myk said:
Hey, Kristian, nice to see you active again!

Hey, Miguel. I'm not really "active again" as much as I'm "not completely inactive", but thanks anyway for the kind words. I hope you are well and still as eloquent in your postings. I remember I once said that reading your posts was like reading poetry. :-)