Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mogul

Vile does it again

"Too Much Free Time Doom": Choose a particular task. Record yourself trying it thousands of time in succession. Publish result on popular demo websites. Choose new task. Repeat a few hundred times. Eventually, record a Doom2 nightmare run.

:P

but seriously, congratulations on once again earning the most coveted title, Mr. Schwarzenegger.
"Danko."

DEMOn said:

"Too Much Free Time Doom"

Heh, but it sounds like this was pretty much Vile's first attempt to beat his previous record using some route improvements.

Funny the way he looks totally in control almost the whole time - more than in the 33:14, I think.

Fredrik said:

Now what was it you said last time? 32:30, maybe possible? :)

mje had said that he thought 32:30 was in Vile's reach. And he was clearly right. :)

DEMOn said:

"Too Much Free Time Doom"

One would hope to have plenty of free time over the summer, and getting a run I can be happy with would take a good bit of effort. :)

It wasn't my absolute first try, but my first serious effort (a run that makes it a good deal into the first episode). I usually die a few times in the first 5 levels before getting results, but this came much more quickly than previous attempts. While I was recording attempts before getting the 33:14 time, I probably died once on a good majority of the levels, which is part of the learning curve. Now, it's second nature and I'm aware of almost all possible disasters that can happen during the run.

Funny, after this paragraph I started typing about new games and older experiences like quakeworld for some reason. I appear to have a lot on my mind today, basically stating the following:

-- I need a break from recording just to enjoy games without trying too hard.
-- Give Far Cry a try, it's a fun, beautiful, and challenging game with a crappy story. It's a blast. :)

Fredrik said:

Now what was it you said last time? 32:30, maybe possible? :)

Yep - I'm blown away. :)

And even still - he KNOWS he can do better than this. There still are two or three really obvious moments where he screws up a trick or the final boss and it costs many, many seconds. I'll be conservative again - and say 31:20 is a reasonable time for his next run - which I hope he does very soon.

You can't expect TAS perfection in an unassisted run.

I don't doubt that Vile is capable of getting a faster run, but such an extraordinary achievement shouldn't be taken for granted.

And I don't think you can really describe 0:47 as "screwing up" map30. Presumably you have in mind that he "should" do it in one visit to the column, like in 30ns5600. However, that was an exceptionally rare occurrence in a movie run (maybe unique? I don't recall another). In fact, two-visit finishes aren't all that common in 30nm runs.

Funny though, from the three screams that the boss made in that one assault, he could have been killed, but one of the rockets went in at an odd angle and must have only caused radius damage. As Grazza said though, killing the boss in one ride up the elevator (at the end of a movie run) is pretty rare. Two rockets have to enter the brain while ascending, and the third goes in while dropping down. It's very hard to tell when to start firing to get two to go in while rising, and I can't always do the drop shot either. Regardless, under :50 makes me happy.

As for a faster run, I could try to smooth out the earlier screwups, but I'd end up making myself more nervous in the later levels out of fear for screwing up a good run. I'm out of inspiration for new routes, all I can see remaining is tricks that hardly work or are very dangerous and don't yield very large time cuts. I'm taking a break from it.

Cool. Got it.

Good job - rank 1 in the world is something to be proud of.