Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Angus Thermopyle

Revolution! demos [-complevel 2]

Congratulations indeed. Sorry if my idea caused you so much frustration, but hope the satisfaction of achieving it is some kind of reward.

Springy said:

Map 14 UV Speed in 0:25. Table filler

FYI, "table-filler" refers to a recording in a category for which there aren't previous demos. In this case there are (since any UV Pacifist is also a valid UV Speed*), with the fastest (non-TAS) so far being Vladimir Monakhov's 0:14.

* And on this map, there isn't any real difference between Pacifist and Speed, as there is nothing to be gained from harming any monsters.

GrumpyCat said:

Map23 Pacifist 0:54 ... Rocketjump over the last trap is not good for pacifist due to unavoidable (?) damage to pinkies.

If there's no line of sight from the rocket explosion to the monsters, then they won't be harmed. So this might be feasible. At any rate worth trying, as it is easily checked (with -tracethings_health) if they have taken any damage.

E1 UV-Speed in 8:09. Pretty bad, honestly, I'm working on improving it.

01: 21
02: 54
03: 1:15
04: 46
05: 1:06
06: 43
07: 26
08: 18
09: 1:28
10: 52

10tv-809.zip

E1 UV-Speed in 7:28. Some maps went better than last time, some went WAY worse D:

01: 24
02: 54
03: 1:09
04: 48
05: 59
06: 41
07: 18
08: 20
09: 1:24
10: 31

10tv-728.zip

E3 UV-Speed in 8:22. Fun fact, I actually forgot to practice the last few maps before I started attempting this run... Guess I had other things on my mind :P. Improvements will happen when I can get a better run.

21: 40
22: 49 (also a cool Rocket Jump thingy)
23: 1:14
24: 5
25: 57
26: 42
27: 1:03
28: 1:19
29: 1:15
30: 18

tve3-822.zip

E3 UV-Speed in 7:20. Better than last time, there's a glide that I didn't do last time (thanks Dew for pointing that glide out)

21: 43
22: 52 - Missed the RJ, lost a bit of time.
23: 1:11
24: 3
25: 7 - this glide is really helpful.
26: 39
27: 1:09
28: 1:15
29: 59 - Oh hey a decent glide this time. The rest of the map went worse, though.
30: 22 - OOPS.

tve3-720.zip

E2 UV-Speed in 10:30. Not going back to this one for a while, it's definitely the hardest of the episodes (harder than E3 which makes no sense). This run needs a lot of improvement, though. MD922, if you're reading this, you know what to do.

11: 40
12: 37
13: 46
14: 34
15: 1:11
16: 1:05
17: 1:15
18: 1:38
19: 1:35
20: 1:09

tve2-1030.zip

I'm surprised that you're not using the void-glide route on map29. It's pretty easy by void-glide standards (I found that as long as I lined myself up reasonably well it worked quickly and quite reliably*, and once you've made the glide, exiting the map is guaranteed and easy. And it's a cooler route. :)

* I used strafe-40 once I was at an angle where this meant I would be barely rubbing up against the wall. There are other methods, of course; I even managed it with just walking (at a different angle).

I actually forgot about that void-glide, I'll have to keep it in mind for when I try and improve the run again.

I think e2 can be planned much better, as in safer for the final three maps.

11: Check my UV speed for a safer alternative to the exit glide (the baron can get nasty).
12+13: Eh, the scavenger hunt for a rocket here and a cell pack there is not really necessary. It's enough to clean out just the revenants in 13, you can avoid the viles altogether by doing skepticist's second glide.
16: Check my UV speed for a few safety tips. Close the YK door behind you to avoid monsters clogging the hallway. You clear out the pigs, but it might be worth it to save one BFG shot for later and blow the barrels on them instead. Also leave the building through the secret duct to avoid the chaingunner rape in the dark.
17: Consider the RJ? It's not an easy one, but it can be trained and it skips a lot of map. With BA it costs like 66% health at most.
18: This was totally botched and it gave you hell in 19+20 as a result. Enter the first teleporter from the left, not head on. It ports you to the best destination (you avoid the caco quartet). Use the BFG on the BK room, ffs. So much health lost there. Just kill the sniper arach with rocket spam, it shouldn't cost more than a second and it's safer. And grab a BA! You ignored two of them, then you almost died at the exit spider, heh. First one is in a secret on the main ledge leading to the arach, you open it by pressing the right wall in the revenant sniper room before teleporting back. The second one is handed out freely in the manco room after the candle maze. 19 should be so much easier with BA.
19: Get the backpack at start, consider grabbing the PG as well.
20: Use all your BFG/PG ammo for easier time after the walls drop down. There's also a cute wallrun when you grab the RK and head towards the exit.

E2 UV-Speed in 9:54. Still needs a lot of improvement :/

11: 35 - Different method of exiting, safer than gliding and risking being hit by the baron.
12: 29 - No Plasma Gun pickup.
13: 56 - OH WOW this went poorly. The glides just didn't want to happen.
14: 32 - This went okay.
15: 1:07 - This also went okay, although I'm not happy with how I got blocked at the lift before the exit.
16: 1:10 - Saved my plasma ammo here, as opposed to wasting it on the demon horde. Cacos messed up my aim at the exit.
17: 1:26 - Didn't want to risk the RJ, as I couldn't get it even somewhat consistent in practice. I need to find a setup. Much slower than last run.
18: 1:22 - Better than last time aside from the manc room at the start. Also, I missed the line to open the arachnotron room at the exit, somehow.
19: 1:17 - Faster YK grab.
20: 1:00 - Hmm, the only thing I did better this time was the red key grab, first try!

tve2-954.zip

Merry Christmas! Have an E3 UV-Speed in 5:26, almost a two minute improvement over my last run.

21: 40 - Decent start.
22: 18 - Reasonably fast glide, at least by my standards.
23: 1:06 - Missed the line skip, otherwise decent.
24: 3 - Good.
25: 9 - Accidentally turned my mouse, lost a bit of time.
26: 29 - I took the starting area more aggressively and got a really fast glide.
27: 46 - Not happy with this one.
28: 1:05 - Pretty good overall.
29: 34 - Wow.
30: 16 - A decent finish to a good run.

tve3-526.zip

Very nice indeed. It is amazing to think that Thomas van der Velden barely knew that speedrunning existed when he made this wad, yet it is so perfect for it.

In map22, is that the first south-to-north flat-faced glide in a non-TAS movie run? I could be mistaken, but I don't recall others. (It's one of the 'hard' directions.) Is there a trick to getting it to work reliably? For north-to-south, I found that you could get a guided glide by slamming into the wall (as shown here), but I don't know of anything to help with the opposite direction (or west-to-east).

Hmm, I did what the UV-Speed did for that glide (The UV-Speed is 7 seconds), there's a very specific position you need. I angle myself correctly, then move forwards against the bars. This moves me very slowly to the left until I reach this position:

Then I move my mouse forward to get through. It's not perfect, the way I do it is a little slow, but it's the best method I could manage.

Map25
Pacifist 0:03
NM-Speed 0:03

Sometimes "Turn 180" key can be very useful )
I tried this glide before but without vert mouse it looks almost impossible to do.

tvr25.zip

Err... cack_handed recorded both pacifist and speed in 3 secs back in 2006. :)