Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Compet-N: incoming and discussion, part 1 [please post in part 2 instead]

fx02 has created a new version of Compet-n at the following address: http://www.doom.com.hr/compet-n/. You can upload incoming demos at that site. You are also strongly encouraged to continue to post them in this thread. They are still very welcome here, and putting them in both places makes sure no one will overlook them.

While neither Doomworld nor this forum is in any way an offical home for the original Compet-n, feel free to use this thread to link to (or attach) demos that would be entries for Compet-n if and when the official site is revived.

If posting demos in this thread, please follow all standard compet-n rules and conventions - notably that they must be recorded with the original DOS executables and perform an undone task or improve upon an existing record. If you have demos on the compet-n wads that do not comply with compet-n rules (e.g. port demos or TAS demos, etc.), then place them in other threads in this forum, such as the threads for the relevant wad or the Misc. TAS demos threads.

Note also that while the moderators of this forum will not officially verify the demos as suitable for compet-n (that would be a task for whoever officially relaunched compet-n), normal Demos forum guidelines apply with respect to being honest about how a demo was recorded and providing the basic demo and player information in a text file.

vdgg maintains a detailed summary of incoming Compet-N entries - it can be found here.

Compet-n's FTP is down at present, with no indication when or if it will ever come back online.
A mirror of the Competn and old SDA archive is here: http://soulsphere.org/random/competn/
doom.com.hr also has a copy of the competn file libraries, amongst other things: http://doom.com.hr/?page=doom_hr_download&path=doom2%2Fdemos/

You can also download the complete compet-n archive (i.e. as it was when last updated) via the following link:
http://www.4shared.com/file/EFXviwbz/compet-n.html

If you want this file, grab it now rather than leaving it to later - it won't be there permanently.

Newer compet-n entries, made via this forum/thread are archived at DSDA. Older Compet-N demos are being added to DSDA, but please be patient, as this process will take some time to complete.

Other demo links:

For some years attachments did not work in this forum. Demos from that period can be found here:
http://www.doomworld.com/sda/dwdemo/

Heretic-N links:
http://lsvc.free.fr/Heretic-N/Incoming/
http://lsvc.free.fr/Heretic-N/
See also this thread.

French Doomers demo links:
SP: http://lsvc.free.fr/CFD/Demos/
DM: http://lsvc.free.fr/CFD/DM-Demos/

Xit, I just wanted to say I appreciate all these Tysons that you do, and enjoy watching them. I know sometimes they may get a little boring for some people, but I just love seeing how these supposedly impossible tyson maps get done.

Eugene, thank you for your great AV Map23 maxdemo :)

I often thought to do this myself, because I love this map, and I began with some testruns with prboom this week (nice coincidence) and got a crappy first exit (time was about 10:20). I don't think I can improve your demo, but I'll try ... at least I can sleep better now, because it's done ... finally :)

Hmmm, with the archvile jump you can get the BFG much earlier, this would add some nice possibilities for the maxrun.

EDIT: Holy Handgrenade! And some really exciting MM2 demos. After doing m201p033 ever thought to try pa02? ;)

Thank you for watching my demo.
I've tried av jump for BFG with savegames some time ago and I'm not sure that such route is much faster. My max for av23 is rather extemporaneous and was done in between my MM2 tries. You beat it definitely. I hope you record maxes for last two undone AV maps. :)

That's odd. My HR20 maxdemo showed up in incoming and I know I didn't upload it. Weird...

Ryback said:

That's odd. My HR20 maxdemo showed up in incoming and I know I didn't upload it. Weird...

Did you give it to anyone else who might've uploaded it? If not, I'd warrant a guess that it was you after all. (sleepwalking, maybe? :))

I posted it in a link here back in 2003, so some people would have it.

I mean I don't care or anything, but... just weird.

Ryback said:

I posted it in a link here back in 2003, so some people would have it.

I mean I don't care or anything, but... just weird.

Yeah. Oh well - personally, I'm glad it got uploaded, because I hadn't seen it yet. :)

Ryback said:

What about hr11-646.zip? Didn't you upload that, either?

And av252437? What the hell have you done, Ryback?

Just watched it, I'm speechless ... I don't know what to say about it, until I'll have watched it at least a hundred times :)

Angus Thermopyle said:

I don't know what to say about it, until I'll have watched it at least a hundred times :)

How about "really really great"? ;)

I don't like to watch demos recorded by keyboard players. They are ugly in most cases. But last demo by Kapustin is very nice for me (unlike Ryback's demo). Does he play with keyboard?

Uh, what!?? Are you calling Ryback's demos ugly!? That av25 demo is fucking excellent, man. One of the nice things about demos recorded on a keyboard only setup is that the turning and movement is "fixed", and so you never see the small twitches that are unavoidable when playing with the mouse (at a reasonably high sensitivity, anyways). Contrary to mouse+keys demos, it rarely shows how nervous the player is. When I get nervous recording, my movement becomes erratic and you can barely watch it. I wish I could look cool, but... :-/

And to answer your question: yes, Eugene is a keyboarder.

It is 'fucking excellent' only because it is a heavy level. Ryback's movements in this demo expose shortcomings of playing on keyboard very often. In Eugene's demo of such moments almost is not present.

Kristian Ronge said:

When I get nervous recording, my movement becomes erratic and you can barely watch it.

heh, glad it's not just my arm that gets shaky when being hunted down at 5% health :-)

entryway said:
It is 'fucking excellent' only because it is a heavy level.

No, it's fucking excellent because it displays great route knowledge and monster handling, fearless braveheart fighting, tactical awareness, and exemplary use of some common maxrunning techniques.

I speak only about movements, instead of great route knowledge and monster handling, fearless braveheart fighting, tactical awareness, and exemplary use of some common maxrunning techniques. I dislike it only owing to crappy movements in heavy for keyboardeds situations which never arise if you play with a mouse.

I certainly wouldn't call demos ugly because they are made by keyboarders, but I do find myself noticing places where the player gets in trouble or is a bit slow to do something because of the restrictions of being a non-mouser.

BTW, if you're ever not sure if someone is a keyboarder, you can use LMPC to analyse their demos. In the summary info at the end it will say:

# This player plays with keyboard/joystick only. Give him a mouse.

cycloid said:

heh, glad it's not just my arm that gets shaky when being hunted down at 5% health :-)

Funny, when I first read that, I thought you meant that other parts of your body got shaky at that point.

Yeah, true, and people should check that they don't upload zips named in uppercase, because it screws up the way the page is displayed alphabetically (uppercase stuff appears first.)

Also, it was likely uploaded by the same bloke that uploaded Ryback's demo (also uppercase, and the only other case)... dude, let people upload their own stuff when they decide to.

By the way, isn't pn06-105 corrupt? I've tried downloading it more than once and it never unzips right.

Is it just me, or is anyone else having problems playing cf21-228 (currently in /pwads)? I get a desync after a few seconds (using PrBoom 2.3.1, with all complevels).

Schneelocke said:
Is it just me, or is anyone else having problems playing cf21-228 (currently in /pwads)? I get a desync after a few seconds (using PrBoom 2.3.1, with all complevels).

It's not you directly; it's likely PrBoom v2.3.1, which lacks any fixes made to the compatibilities after v2.2.4, more or less. Not that I've tried playing it back with any PrBoom, but it does play back with Doom.

Works fine for me in Prboom-plus 2.2.6.28test3.

Are you definitely using the right version of the pwad? The one used for compet-n demos is not the same as the one in the archive. You can get it here.

I've just tested it with 2.3.1, and it plays back OK.

myk: 2.3.1 should have the same (or very similar) demo compatibility as the official 2.2.6. Apart from dehacked stuff (there have been major fixes since then in that respect), there should be very few vanilla demos that won't play back with it (those with memory overflows, for instance).

Grazza said:
Are you definitely using the right version of the pwad?

Ah, I forgot about that. Most likely the case (since /idgames has the newer one that is not used for COMPET-N).

Grazza said:

Works fine for me in Prboom-plus 2.2.6.28test3.

Hmm. Where do you get that particular version?

Grazza said:

Are you definitely using the right version of the pwad? The one used for compet-n demos is not the same as the one in the archive. You can get it here.

Thanks, that was it!