Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Compet-N: incoming and discussion, part 1 [please post in part 2 instead]

Altima said:

I noticed the 0:32 and I'm honestly amazed. Sedlo pretty much dedicated a year to this map, solid. I wonder if he make some sort of appearance to go out of his way for a 0:31?

Very nicely done. Very smooth recording.

It's interesting to me that even a "perfect" run can be beaten when community standards change or new techniques become commonplace. Sedlo's run is extremely smooth but the lack of SR50 seems obvious now.

Andy Olivera said:

Regarding your question about the door oddity in MAP06, you're right about the monsters in S152: monsters trapped in the floor/ceiling can affect nearby movers in vanilla. As to why, maybe entryway or another code guru could explain it.

I'd like to understand this effect as well. I contacted Fraggle about it once but he didn't have the time to figure it out.

Hi all. I'm very happy to see that some of you are still creating Compet-n demos. I'd like to help, and my idea is to make upload page for demos so you can put them all on my server. I promise I won't abandon it, and will rearrange/sort them on monthly basis.
Upload/incoming page will be available for few days here:
http://doom.com.hr/?page=en.incoming

Password for uploading will be "incoming" or maybe no password at all...

Please upload only zip files.

If you have some other suggestions, you are welcome.

Hi Zvonimir,
most likely you don't know me as I started recording demos in 2009.

I see no problem in uploading my demos, but if not everyone does it, your folder will be incomplete?
Then I think the first site the people look at is DSDA - still missing some Ultimate Doom & Doom II C-N demos, but for the rest it's clear, consistent, complete, regularly updated.
I took over the /incoming thread from Never_Again here on Doomworld, because I wanted to see it updated :) Even though it duplicates much of what's available on DSDA, it offers a slightly different view, the demos are organized in a different way, and from what I can see, people are browsing these /incoming tables from time to time, so I kind of see the point of putting some effort into maintaining it.

I'm writing this because I'm not exactly sure what your goal is. To widen the "audience" of the demos -> Croatian people? To mirror the demos just in case? As I said, any /incoming demo can be dowloaded at DSDA withing a week after it's released and published here and, as Xit Vono, Ryback etc. post their demos here, it is this thread that is the compet-N natural successor I think.

I agree with vdgg. I think this thread, as well as the doom sda has replaced compet-n. If you are looking to be helpful, then you should consider creating a new database similar to the old one at Hegyi's compet-n website.

For once I actually agree with Vono here. The old Compet-N was like a well-oiled machine. Everything worked and was easy to find and sort. As far as DSDA is, it's working, but it just has a different feel and isn't the same. Not complaining, I like the DSDA and Andy Olivera does a great job at maintaining it.

Ok, I was just planning to make demos available and easy to upload/get for everyone, but if they are all on sda, then it's fine with me.

Creating new database would be just too much. It would be much easier if we could get old Compet-n source code (cgi if I remember good). If somebody have it I'd be pleased to put it on my server. I can also purchase compet-n.com/net/something domain.

doom2.net server has some hardware mailfunction, that's what Bahdko told me

tatsurd-cacocaco said:

Alien Vendetta Map 26 UV-Max in 11:54

Watched this on Youtube already. Brilliant! :)

Nice one.

"I can't even tell you how many times that jump was ruined."
Well, how about save/load jump 500 times then give it a try in a real attempt? Saves lot of time and you actually get better with the jump (instead of just rolling the dice) so you win in every aspect. I guess that's too late now? :)

It wasn't even ruined by me some of the time though. There's a specter or two that respawn up there, and it was usually just bad timing. Sucks, but that's the nature of the beast lol.

also there's practicing in controlled "lab" conditions vs. stressing out in real attempts